PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: spring

nfpassion is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newb needing help

Hi, im extremely lost in terms of all these roms and cabs. I have searched for help but my terms are too general and too many unrelated items pops up, so hopefully i can get some help from the users.

1. CABS - so are cabs little applications that you add to your rom? and do you simply dl and extract to your phone, and excute for it to be added? I also read somewhere about disabling tf3d if the cab has to do with the tf3d? how do you do that? Are there different types of CABS where you need to do different things to execute it?

2. Saving User settings - i heard of "sashimi" and "s2su" or something, that saves your settings so when you update or flash a rom it loads your settings. So i guess these would be considered CABS right? Do you just dl and excute once its extracted onto phone?

3. Reg file - so i've been having issue with my phone waking from sleep mode for no reason, (no connections, no msgs/calls, no programs on), and i think its because the phone alerts when its roaming. So thanks to someone on the forum, he had a link with the .reg file to turn it off. The problem is i dont know what to do with the file. I put it on the phone but i can't exexcute it, like i would on a desktop. So what am i suppose to do with the file. Another way would be to input the reg values manually but i don't know how to do that 0.0.

4. Flashing & Hard Reseting - Ok so without debating whether it is useful at all i'll go straight into the problem. So i was told to Hard reset before flashing a new rom for a "clean slate". The part im confused about is when i hard reset, is it suppose to load the previous version of the rom i had? I guess it can't just be blank, but after i hard reset it auto loaded ENERGY ROM, but im not sure if it was old version, i only assumed. I guess i would also have to flash the Stock rom to really eliminate the old rom for the "clean slate" the person was talking about?

Yea, so these are just some of the questions I i can't resolve at the moment, Thank you for your help, this forum is great. THANKS
Old 08-13-2009, 03:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero
Re: Newb needing help

1. cab - pretty much just an installable package that contains applications and setitngs. most everything you will install comes in the form of a cab.
2. I have never used sashimi so I cannot help there
3. reg file is a file containing registry entries. the registry is just like on a windows PC, a database that contains all the settings in the phone. dont edit this without some knowledge or be prepared to hard reset. you will need a registry editor like PHM. I also recommend CeregEditor. its a pc-based app that runs on pc through activesync, so you can browse the phone's registry through the pC (easier than on the device itself)
4. when you hard reset you do not go back to previous rom. the rom is stored in an area on the phone that only the rom update utility can access. if you install a rom thats what you will get every time you hard-reset. you dont need to flash to stock every time, simply do a few hard resets after you flash your custom rom.

yes, this forum is great!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

This should assist immensely...Read it all the way through...http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62330

Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Sprint

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

2. Sashimi and S2u2 - You're a little off, but we'll get you on track!

Sashimi - This is an option for streamlining the reinstall process of all your applications, files, reg settings, e-mail - It in and of itself will NOT back anything up. You simply initialize Sashimi and it will help automatically install cabs, exes, or copy/run various files. The home of Sashimi is Winmo-experts.com The site is awesome and Bengalih, the creator has a lot of really nice video tutorials on how to setup and use it.

S2u2 - Slide to Unlock - Ported by AC, it is Apple's Slide to Unlock app from the iPhone. When your screen is off, and you wake it, you must slide a button across the screen to unlock the phone. This is to prevent you from pocket dialing, etc.

There are many alternatives to S2u2 - I went from S2u2 to a similar app called PocketShield. But there is AutoLock (for WinMo 6.5), Device Lock, Throttle Lock (Android locking style app), and many countless others.

In terms of backing up your data, there are 3 options:

1. Microsoft MyPhone - many newer ROMs are including this. It allows you to synch over the air to MyPhone and then pull your contacts, texts, e-mails, and docs back to your phone whenever you need. For more go to http://myphone.microsoft.com

2. SPB Backup - This is what I use - It allows you to totally backup your entire phone: Contacts, Texts, E-Mails, Docs, System Files, and Storage Card. It stores the backups in EXE format that you run. It is NOT a free app, but is pretty inexpensive. It will also allow you to do scheduled backups.

3. PIM Backup - Many ROM's include this. It's about the same as SPB Backup, but I believe it's free. Not sure if it backs up system files.

Flashing:

1. Make sure the phone is UNLOCKED!!!
2. If you are on something other than the Stock ROM, flash back to Stock
3. Hard Reset
4. Flash to New ROM
5. Hard Reset

This will ensure you have a nice clean phone to start with. You don't necessarily need to flash stock every time you flash, but the hard reset after flash is absolutely necessary!!!

If you have other questions on any of this stuff, check the stickys here and in the upgrade forum. You can PM me if you like with questions to avoid repeat posts, and I'll gladly give you a hand!

If it weren't for this site, I'd still be running Stock Sprint ROM and whining about it sucking!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

You got to take the time to read all of the stickies, they will take a good amount of time. It will not only get you up to speed but also prepare you to be able to jump in and help the new people as well. Welcome to ppcgeeks and be warned flashing roms is a very addictive thing!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudpucker View Post
Welcome to ppcgeeks and be warned flashing roms is a very addictive thing!!
Like Pringles, once you pop, cant stop.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro