PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to raidzero
does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster?

Title says it all. I am running vista now and really have no way to tell as the Vista defrag utility displays NO information whatsoever. I would imagine reading tens of thousands of tiny files into ram at once then writing them back to disk over and over and over would thrash the disk pretty heavily. Is this assumption correct? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster?

I'm sure it would effect it, but I have mine scheduled to defrag mon, wed, fri nights. I also have been known to restore the HDD on my machine every three months as well for no apparrent reason...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
I'm sure it would effect it, but I have mine scheduled to defrag mon, wed, fri nights. I also have been known to restore the HDD on my machine every three months as well for no apparrent reason...
LOL I do the same thing... though I do think 3 times a week is a bit excessive. on other machines I schedule a virus scan followed by a spybot scan every night and a defrag every month or so. Just today I spent 8 hours and imaged my drive, wiped all the partitions off and created one big one and reapplied the image. It got me thinking about how I was probably just restoring all the fragmentation but maybe imagex does a bit of auto defragging. Either way I will report my findings, I am defragging now on it. vista's new defrag interface BLOWS!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
LOL I do the same thing... though I do think 3 times a week is a bit excessive. on other machines I schedule a virus scan followed by a spybot scan every night and a defrag every month or so. Just today I spent 8 hours and imaged my drive, wiped all the partitions off and created one big one and reapplied the image. It got me thinking about how I was probably just restoring all the fragmentation but maybe imagex does a bit of auto defragging. Either way I will report my findings, I am defragging now on it. vista's new defrag interface BLOWS!
I've never used M$'s built in defrag. I love Diskeeper.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

diskeeper FTW i love that app.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 AM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE
Carrier: Sprint

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I use tuneup utils 2009.
Seems to work for me.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

pinkpig is a n00b

Auslogics has a free and cheap that works well.

Defragging every week is pointless unless your removing large files off your hard drive constantly.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

defragging every few days is going to kill your drive way quicker than what little, if any, fragmentation occured in beween that day or two.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
I've never used M$'s built in defrag. I love Diskeeper.
The biult in deftrag is just a stripped down version of Diskeeper Defragmenter. You can even automate it with the Windows Task Scheduler. If you leave your computer on 24/7, just set it to run at 0300, (or other time when you are not using your computer). You can also set Disk Cleaner to run automatically by entering the command "cleanmgr /sageset:40" in your run box, selecting all the options you wish to automate, and pressing OK. To set up the automation, use WTS, and use the command "cleanmgr /sagerun:40" approximatly 1 hour before disk defrag is scheduled to run.
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint PCS

J.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuffJ.eremy knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to J.eremy Send a message via AIM to J.eremy Send a message via Yahoo to J.eremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
Title says it all. I am running vista now and really have no way to tell as the Vista defrag utility displays NO information whatsoever. I would imagine reading tens of thousands of tiny files into ram at once then writing them back to disk over and over and over would thrash the disk pretty heavily. Is this assumption correct? Thanks!
To answer your question, if you are constantly creating files, deleting files, creating more files, 1000's of sys files, deleting those and updating a new version of 1000 sys files yes, your drive will become fragmented very quickly.

Some of the other posters are correct, Diskeeper is just the full version of the windows defragger. they are both made by the same company

all the defrag options are pretty good tho. Diskeeper, O&O etc.

I have a linux headless fileserver that im using as network attached storage formatted in EXT4, cause i dont like to defrag all the time hehe

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro