PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79120)

raidzero 08-12-2009 04:28 PM

does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster?

Title says it all. I am running vista now and really have no way to tell as the Vista defrag utility displays NO information whatsoever. I would imagine reading tens of thousands of tiny files into ram at once then writing them back to disk over and over and over would thrash the disk pretty heavily. Is this assumption correct? Thanks!

rstoyguy 08-12-2009 04:40 PM

Re: does constant cooking fragment your HDD faster?

I'm sure it would effect it, but I have mine scheduled to defrag mon, wed, fri nights. I also have been known to restore the HDD on my machine every three months as well for no apparrent reason...

raidzero 08-12-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 1097254)
I'm sure it would effect it, but I have mine scheduled to defrag mon, wed, fri nights. I also have been known to restore the HDD on my machine every three months as well for no apparrent reason...

LOL I do the same thing... though I do think 3 times a week is a bit excessive. on other machines I schedule a virus scan followed by a spybot scan every night and a defrag every month or so. Just today I spent 8 hours and imaged my drive, wiped all the partitions off and created one big one and reapplied the image. It got me thinking about how I was probably just restoring all the fragmentation but maybe imagex does a bit of auto defragging. Either way I will report my findings, I am defragging now on it. vista's new defrag interface BLOWS!

MadlyAlive 08-12-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1097275)
LOL I do the same thing... though I do think 3 times a week is a bit excessive. on other machines I schedule a virus scan followed by a spybot scan every night and a defrag every month or so. Just today I spent 8 hours and imaged my drive, wiped all the partitions off and created one big one and reapplied the image. It got me thinking about how I was probably just restoring all the fragmentation but maybe imagex does a bit of auto defragging. Either way I will report my findings, I am defragging now on it. vista's new defrag interface BLOWS!

I've never used M$'s built in defrag. I love Diskeeper.

psycho_maniac 08-13-2009 12:18 AM

diskeeper FTW i love that app.

rootlinux 08-13-2009 12:35 AM

I use tuneup utils 2009.
Seems to work for me. :)

pinkpig 08-13-2009 02:34 AM

Auslogics has a free and cheap that works well.

Defragging every week is pointless unless your removing large files off your hard drive constantly.

ou2mame 08-13-2009 02:40 AM

defragging every few days is going to kill your drive way quicker than what little, if any, fragmentation occured in beween that day or two.

k_semler 08-13-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 1097443)
I've never used M$'s built in defrag. I love Diskeeper.

The biult in deftrag is just a stripped down version of Diskeeper Defragmenter. You can even automate it with the Windows Task Scheduler. If you leave your computer on 24/7, just set it to run at 0300, (or other time when you are not using your computer). You can also set Disk Cleaner to run automatically by entering the command "cleanmgr /sageset:40" in your run box, selecting all the options you wish to automate, and pressing OK. To set up the automation, use WTS, and use the command "cleanmgr /sagerun:40" approximatly 1 hour before disk defrag is scheduled to run.

J.eremy 08-13-2009 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1097225)
Title says it all. I am running vista now and really have no way to tell as the Vista defrag utility displays NO information whatsoever. I would imagine reading tens of thousands of tiny files into ram at once then writing them back to disk over and over and over would thrash the disk pretty heavily. Is this assumption correct? Thanks!

To answer your question, if you are constantly creating files, deleting files, creating more files, 1000's of sys files, deleting those and updating a new version of 1000 sys files yes, your drive will become fragmented very quickly.

Some of the other posters are correct, Diskeeper is just the full version of the windows defragger. they are both made by the same company :D

all the defrag options are pretty good tho. Diskeeper, O&O etc.

I have a linux headless fileserver that im using as network attached storage formatted in EXT4, cause i dont like to defrag all the time :D hehe