PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mctld is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No IMAP4 Please!

I have installed a package on my phone. I am now having trouble setting up accounts. Once the package was installed, everything was great, EXCEPT, that both my email accounts went crazy. I have two on my phone. The gmail account worked just fine because I reinstall it to access mail via IMAP4.

However, when I try to reset my yahoo (sbcglobal.net) account, it defaults to the IMAP4 option and account type is grayed out, so I don't have the option to change it to POP, which is required for yahoo accounts.

Can anyone please tell me how to reset this so I have the option to choose? I would like to do this without uninstalling the package because I love everything else about the package. But I must receive my emails.

Thanx!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler
Re: No IMAP4 Please!

Use your gmail account to fetch your Yahoo mail. You need to login to your gmail account on a desktop computer to set up remote fetching.
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mctld is a n00b

Thanx K_Semler, that is certainly something I have thought about, but would rather have more control over my accounts and really want the account type option available to me.

You see, my gmail account is already an "all-fetching" account and my sbcglobal account is a more personal/business account. I have my gmail account to receive mail every 5 or 6 hours, my sbcglobal account I want to receive mail more often because I know any mail that comes from that account requires my immediate attention.

Thanx for the suggestion.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

carceo19 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctld View Post
I have installed a package on my phone. I am now having trouble setting up accounts. Once the package was installed, everything was great, EXCEPT, that both my email accounts went crazy. I have two on my phone. The gmail account worked just fine because I reinstall it to access mail via IMAP4.

However, when I try to reset my yahoo (sbcglobal.net) account, it defaults to the IMAP4 option and account type is grayed out, so I don't have the option to change it to POP, which is required for yahoo accounts.

Can anyone please tell me how to reset this so I have the option to choose? I would like to do this without uninstalling the package because I love everything else about the package. But I must receive my emails.

Thanx!
ive had the some problems connecting my free yahoo after i flashed my rom but ive been looking around and messing with the settings and i got my email to work again. i have att yahoo and it works

incoming: imap.next.mail.yahoo.com
outgoing: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com

hope this helps for anyone that was having trouble..

oh in outgoing, in the bottom click advanced server settings and in network connection make sure you use the network your provider gave you or the network you made
Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mctld is a n00b

Okay, so I even tried using my free yahoo account and discovered that I can send emails, I just can't receive them. I also discovered, from messing around with it, thanx carceo19, that I can choose POP/IMAP, by entering all the information manually and not allowing the phone to automatically configure for me initially when creating a new account.

However, I just can't get it the way I wanted, so I have just decided to create a new gmail account, sort of along the lines of what k_semler suggested, and have my important account only receive email in that account. That way, I am using 2 gmail accounts, but allowint the separation I desire.

Thank you both for your suggestions. They were very helpful. I learned a lot.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Try misspelling your email address when you first enter it while setting up the account and see if it gives you the options you want. You can then go back later and fix it in the options for the account after it's fully setup. This sounds like the reverse of the Gmail problem we had with WM6.1 where it would auto-configure the account for POP even though Gmail had just released IMAP support. Give it a try and let us know.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctld View Post
Okay, so I even tried using my free yahoo account and discovered that I can send emails, I just can't receive them. I also discovered, from messing around with it, thanx carceo19, that I can choose POP/IMAP, by entering all the information manually and not allowing the phone to automatically configure for me initially when creating a new account.

However, I just can't get it the way I wanted, so I have just decided to create a new gmail account, sort of along the lines of what k_semler suggested, and have my important account only receive email in that account. That way, I am using 2 gmail accounts, but allowint the separation I desire.

Thank you both for your suggestions. They were very helpful. I learned a lot.
if your just going to forward the yahoo account msgs to the newly created gmail account, when u reply it will say its from the new gmail account...

**i have a stock sprint TP... and our phones default both Gmail and Yahoo in imap... not pop3... like an above poster said, you have to put in an unidentifiable email add ex: dhdjhd@hgf.com then it will let you set it all up on your own... you have to go back after the setup process and redo your real email on the first setup acreen in option afterwards though to have it work right

and you "installed a package on your phone", whats that about?? odd term to use

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-09-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Also, have you tried doing the gmail IMAP setup trick? When it asks you your email address, type in .con instead of .com, and uncheck "Automatically detect settings". You should now be able to manually enter in the settings for your Yahoo account instead of having Windows automatically configure it for IMAP. (you have to do it that way for Gmail if you want IMAP instead of POP3). After you have the email account setup, you can go back into it and change the .con to .com while not losing your specific settings.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mctld is a n00b

Thanx everyone, I actually don't need to misspell my new email address. I kept letting the phone detect my settings, when I should have just put them in myself. I am then given the option to choose which account I want.

Also, I am not concerned about sending mail using my phone, I just need to know when emails are responded to or initiated on someone else's part, so I only care about receiving, not sending. However, I must admit, I had not thought about the return email address shown in responses or newly created emails. I will be sure to watchout for that now just in case I am tempted to respond to an email using my phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro