PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is the touch pro plagued with problems

Whenever you visit a forum like this you're going to get a skewed sense of the product because far more people will write to complain about something (generally trying to get it fixed) than will do so just to say "my touch pro is awesome and works great".

I got my TP secondhand from Ebay; it had been well used (and unlocked!), but it has been flawless in terms of hardware since the day I got it. It sits in my pocket without a case all the time.

I have to say (I honestly mean no disrespect here), if I see someone going through more than 2 or 3 Touch Pros, I raise my eyebrows a bit. Something ain't right. That level of hardware failure is a 10-sigma event. Granted, when you get refurbs, you're getting a phone someone else returned, and if Sprint/whomever doesn't check it for obvious hardware failure (or if the failure is intermittent and they don't catch it) then it's possible to get a string of truly bad phones. Maybe they just turn it on to see if the screen lights up and they don't open the keyboards. They should reflash them and go through a testing process, but we know the carriers don't care about the hardware as much as we all do. To them it's just a means to a subscription unit, and they are happy to keep handing them out until the subscription unit is happy.

The top hardware issues here seem to be the oil slick screen problem, or keyboard stops working (ribbon cable comes loose inside the phone), or (less common) separation of hardware pieces, be it the keyboard or the button panel below the screen. Most everything else is caused by software.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero
Threadstarter

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

I think your right because when I go back in the forums maybe 4 months I done see as many complaints regarding the keyboard. I am not saying that it isn't valid but that's what I notice. it seems like this is happening to a small amount of people. I know the forum can't speak for everyone.

I started the thread to see what type of complaints would be brought up and don't really see much. I appreciate everyones opinion thus far.

I am guessing that it is refurbished units that are causing the problem. that's why I want to know if this is happening on new units purchased recently by a couple months.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro on Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

rev800x is becoming a great contributor

I have not had any issues with mine other then cracked chrome (oops, dropped the phone on cement) and an oily looking spot on the screen that appears when I press in a certain area but disappears after a few seconds. Other then that it's been fine. I flash it on a regular basis also.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

the build quality on the sprint version (first build the one that had ALL of the issues) in my opinion had the best build quality
I guess I had the luck of the draw in this case because not many hav ebeen lucky...that being said I think the touch pro has issues like all phones have issues. even the shangrilah iphone has them...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

shhh don't let an apple fanboy here that lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjday7 View Post
shhh don't let an apple fanboy here that lol.
lol...

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have had absoloutly ZERO issues with my TP other than those of my own doing...

I have had to get ONE replacement
(and got a brand new phone because they were out of refurbs) and the only reason I had to do that was because I dropped it and the touch screen stopped working...

There are little annoyances which I attribute to the software (not hardware) such as keyboard lag and overstuffed roms leaving little operating memory but other than that I find the hardware solid.

I know there have been a lot of reports about keyboards going bad but I tend to believe that is just rough user treatment.

The only design problem was with early TPs where the chrome would crack and it would look like there was oil or liquid underneath the screen...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
I have had absoloutly ZERO issues with my TP other than those of my own doing...

I have had to get ONE replacement
(and got a brand new phone because they were out of refurbs) and the only reason I had to do that was because I dropped it and the touch screen stopped working...

There are little annoyances which I attribute to the software (not hardware) such as keyboard lag and overstuffed roms leaving little operating memory but other than that I find the hardware solid.

I know there have been a lot of reports about keyboards going bad but I tend to believe that is just rough user treatment.

The only design problem was with early TPs where the chrome would crack and it would look like there was oil or liquid underneath the screen...
i have hade the TP sence the week before it came out and let me tell you thats not the only flaw with it. I would more likely beleive you have just had luck or your not useing the he11 out of it like the rest of us
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Would it be safe to go with the one year warranty as coverage enough instead of the tep for 7.00. Really don't want to add insurance on the plan.
I know sprint is now covering the warrsnty period of a year for their phones now. It doesn't cover water damage, wear and tear and if its damaged. What do you guys think would be the best option?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

The only thing I don't really like about mine is that the chrome is cracked and I haven't done anything to make it that way.

There are other issues, like the loose top half, and the capacitive touch area beneath the screen not being too responsive at times, screen sensitivity a little crappy around the edges, etc, but none of these are major flaws, IMO.

I still love my TP after almost a year of ownership. More than I can say about the Mogul or Touch I had.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro