PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Hybrid tethering... The craPhone can do it... Any way for us? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78604)

Tilde88 08-09-2009 12:33 PM

Hybrid tethering... The craPhone can do it... Any way for us?

So, on the iPhone, while you are tethered on 3g, you can still receive phone calls and continue to browse the web simultaneously... I'm guessing it keeps the 3g connection alive and opens up a separate port for 1X. However, on the TP, if you are tethered and receive a phone call, it will pause the 3g connection (you cannot load any webpage) while you are on 1X (phone call), and continue loading when you disconnect the phone call. Is this a GSM perk, or can we force it through EV-DO???
Any help would be appreciated.

wILLk0r3 818 08-09-2009 12:56 PM

Re: Hybrid tethering... The craPhone can do it... Any way for us?

CDMA does not allow simulatneous voice and data. That is a GSM function and it's hardware disabled on the carry side of CDMA service.

mikejones13 08-09-2009 12:59 PM

Yep its a GSM perk, I tried a couple weeks ago with wifi. I figured it would work with wifi since the TP wasn't connecting to a tower for data at the same time as the phone call and it still cut off the internet

mlin 08-09-2009 01:18 PM

Any way to exploit the GSM/CDMA hybrid phones to do this? ie TD2 and TP2?

Tilde88 08-09-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones13 (Post 1090452)
Yep its a GSM perk, I tried a couple weeks ago with wifi. I figured it would work with wifi since the TP wasn't connecting to a tower for data at the same time as the phone call and it still cut off the internet

Damnit... There's gotta be a way... I mean GSM is an older technology...

digiblur 08-09-2009 06:25 PM

I remember reading that voice was included in the EVDO spec but none of the US carriers use it.

delawaresace 08-09-2009 06:28 PM

I believe you can technicaly do it with CDMA, just sprint and verizon don't allow it.

Tilde88 08-09-2009 08:12 PM

If it's a carrier-related problem, I'm sure there's a way to force it to work... Maybe we just need the right person to help us...

If it helps any, it is possible to send/receive a txt while surfing and get no interruption. The taskbar shows the phone going into 1X to send/receive it from the network (but your Data connection stays active)...

:computer::geek::coffee::joker::sign9:
New smileys ^