PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

trayson is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon TP works imediately after flashing new rom, but stuck boot splash thereafter

I have a verizon Touch pro. First I unlocked it per instructions on this forum. Then I flashed it with the ElectonicRice kitchen. But it got stuck on the boot splash screen. So I got it back in bootloader mode (it would not hard reset) and then tried it again with the same result.

Next I tried the ppckitchen.org WM6.5 build:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46526

I was able to use the kitchen to build a rom and flash it to my Verizon Touch Pro. After the rom was flashed to the TP, it started up and I went through aligning the screen and was able to use the device.

However, upon a soft reset (changing the battery or pressing the soft reset button), the TP would again get stuck on the first boot up splash screen. If I soft reset again, same result.

So, I reflashed the rom to the device, and was able to use it that FIRST time after flashing the rom, but again upon a soft reset the device will get stuck on the boot up splash.

Anything I can do to fix? I've tried two different kitchens now.

p.s. I did search this thread for "splash screen" and "boot splash" and only came up with one relevant question like mine but it never seemed to have been answered that I found...

I broadened my search and found this:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...81&postcount=6

But I just double checked and NO, I do not have the Cambridge BT checked... I did try to put a lot into my ROM. Maybe it'd be helpful for me to list all the stuff I checked??? I'll type it out if that helps...

Help! I just bought a new TP and haven't been able to use it.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Verizon TP works imediately after flashing new rom, but stuck boot splash thereaf

Sounds to me like your Pagepool is set too high....

Change the settings for pagepool in the kitchen to 12 or 8.

I'm guessing you have just enough ram left to boot and run customizations but once customization runs there isn't enough ram left to boot.

Usually because pagepool is set to high on a VZW phone since it has less ram than other carrier versions of the TP.

I think PPC Kitchen defaults to 24...

You can fix this without cooking again....
Run pagepoolchanger (usually in the RUU folder) and select the RUU_Signed.nbh file...
change the pagepool to 12 select change and close when done...

Then simply reflash the rom and you should be good to go.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

trayson is a n00b
Re: Verizon TP works imediately after flashing new rom, but stuck boot splash thereaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Sounds to me like your Pagepool is set too high....

Change the settings for pagepool in the kitchen to 12 or 8.

I'm guessing you have just enough ram left to boot and run customizations but once customization runs there isn't enough ram left to boot.

Usually because pagepool is set to high on a VZW phone since it has less ram than other carrier versions of the TP.

I think PPC Kitchen defaults to 24...

You can fix this without cooking again....
Run pagepoolchanger (usually in the RUU folder) and select the RUU_Signed.nbh file...
change the pagepool to 12 select change and close when done...

Then simply reflash the rom and you should be good to go.
Thank you SO much for this insight. I will give this a try late this evening probably... (assuming I can figure out how to change all this pagepool stuff successfully, this is the first time I've even heard the term so a little bit of new territory here).

I would have never figured that out on my own.

Do you think it's likely that I selected TOO much stuff in my kitchen? I know I'm like a kid on a shopping spree when I cook a rom... As the band Queen once said, "I want it all, and I want it now".
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yep it's very possible you installed too much...

What I did with the PPCKitchen was to always save a base configuration with just the bare minimums...

Then I always had a clean slate template to work from.

Then from that template slowly add in only items that required being installed into device and tested each one for quirks and incompatabilities.

Anything that could be run from the storage card was installed after flashing.

If the PPCKitchen doesn't have a pagepool changer in the RUU folder (check other folders of the kitchen)
Download this....
Attached Files
File Type: zip PagePool_Changer.zip (157.4 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

trayson is a n00b

looks like you can adjust the pagepool size. If I'm reading it correctly, ppckitchen had it set to 64

I changed it to 12, and it had an option of either dynamic or static. I picked the first one "dynamic". Not sure what either choice would do...

I also seriously scaled down my rom and am taking your advice and will add stuff onto the microsd card instead. Not sure if I'll actually FINISH this as it's really late and I'm leaving right after work to go camping for the weekend...

But I really appreciate your help SOOO much.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

OK use static not dynamic...

Dynamic WILL work but what your essentially doing is telling the phone to ignore PP settings and letting it make it as big as it wants....You will still run out of memory often with dynamic setting...

Set it to 12 with a static pagepool.

Good Luck!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro