PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

obamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Flashing Instructions to Ensure Full ROM Functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaDarla View Post
From what a lot of peoples problems with that rom seemed to be I don't think it was all attributed to them not flashing your way.
Lol precisely. Please don't bring up another thread's misdeeds tilde.

In the meanwhile either flash method works its just a matter of who is or isn't lazy to go through with it.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Well, my method is prooven too and much simpler, but you are right I did miss step 2 as noted.

I am curious as to your "proof" that "the old cache which was from the Shipped ROM flash will remain there until reflashed as posted".

I'm not trying to depreciate, simply trying to provide accurate information.

Also, btw: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65925
I'm with Groove on this one. How is it possible that the "cache" of the shipped rom would survive another flash? By that logic, the "cache" from the custom ROM would survive the flash to the stock shipped ROM. Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It's much faster to just go into bootloader mode than it is to clear mem and go through all the customizations a second time!
Both are just as effective at releasing files from being used and giving you a clean flash!

As for getting into bootloader mode you don't need to remove a battery ever unless you get a connection error....

Simply hold down Power, Vol Down and hit the reset button with the stylus.

Keep the vol and power buttons pressed until you see the tri color screen.

Flash, let customizations run, then reprogram your phone as per your carrier procedures (vzw *228 1, it will reset then *228 2)
That sets up your data connection and SMS (Arcsoft) for your carrier.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

interesting approach. I always wondered why sometimes the calibration crosshair was choppy and sometimes it was smooth. What I always did was flash from bootloader, then just let it reboot, align screen (not waiting just doing it - usually choppy) then letting customizations run, then hard resetting via clear storage and doing it over. this method is definitely faster. may be a bit overkill but it gets the job done. for one I have never thought of removing the battery when flashing..
Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the general touch pro forum.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hybrid Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd85233 View Post
Will receiving a test message while the phone is going through the customization detrimental? Or what about if the phone turns itself of before you are able to calibrate the screen, meaning you waited too long before taping the screen when it asks.

Thanks for the right up. I hope this will take care of some random bugs int the ROMs that I have used. I never understood why some people had a perfect ROM while I had a buggy one.
No they are not. Once the precached files have been flashed over or deleted none of these issues are detrimental... Just be sure to watch the crosshair to check for any skipping or lagging.
Your welcome
Old 08-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Tilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuffTilde88 knows their stuff

Yes it is quicker to flash from the Bootloader, and do a hard reset right after the flash rather than waiting for a full customization only to hard reset again. I'm glad to see that quite a few people agree with my approach. I have flashed every popular ROM on this site... Noticing that some people would post bugs that none other would ever see... It was not only in Techs thread... It was merely the thread I chose to point out... Even after a few people did some hard resets, these bugs persisted... Once they flashed in the OP method, I'm guessing it was the placebo that made the phone believe it could do better?

All I am saying is that this method can help some, if not speed up the flash process for others...

Request to delete or close thread please, AdminMOD...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilde88 View Post
Just be sure to watch the crosshair to check for any skipping or lagging.
Um, well, um..

That could easily be a result of provxmls being loaded still or the OS getting fully loaded. It doesn't mean a bad flash necessarily.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Post Re: Flashing Instructions to Ensure Full ROM Functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Um, well, um..

That could easily be a result of provxmls being loaded still or the OS getting fully loaded. It doesn't mean a bad flash necessarily.
this is true... but even after long wait periods with the screen on, long after all the background provisioning occurs, i've noticed still some lag [not often], but it could be an early indication of an unstable flash... or even it could be a beginner cook whom just has a beta build which needs further tweaking... but if no other is reporting any lag and you see the crosshair on first boot be glitchy then, well you know...

well im out pplz... be back later

Last edited by Tilde88; 08-08-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo, and a little extra sentence
Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

its best off not to flash to stock first... see, be it a custom ROM or a shipped ROM, there is still data being transfered throughout the flash. flashing a stock rom only adds an extra step to the flashing instructions i posted way back and on a new thread even... and it can add its own files which may corrupt some cache within the NAND, meaning that another flash with battery removal would be necessary to release these corrupted files which cannot be overwritten from within Windows[Mobile]...

flashing means transfering files (some files of which can be fractions of kilobytes in size even)... during the flash process, it is possible to not fully flash the rom because the old ROM (Read Only Memory) cache files cannot be replaced with the new ones, due to the old ones being -besides old- corrupted (broken) and stuck...after flashing a new ROM, and taking out the battery, this depletes (kills) any +-ionization (electrical currency) within the device since it does not have a CMOS Battery (a button cell battery which goes inside Computers to keep the clock accurate and certain hardware settings which cannot be controlled from an Operating System... An example of an OS is Windows, also Linux... etc...)after all the power has been released from the device the NAND then has no place to store its old ROM data, the device then routes what it can [unneeded crap] to the RAM (Random Access Memory). every time that there is no direct power (no battery and no USB connection to PC or wall charger), the RAM is released to be never again seen. ROM, however is stored into firmware. Firmware is neither hardware (like a video card, keyboard, monitor) etc, nor is it software (programs, games, drivers) it is pretty much a software that is permanent into the hardware's chip to enable its functionality.

thats as english as i can put it down... i dont know how else to explain it... you either understand or you dont...
nonetheless I know that this is a good thing to do before using your phone with its newly flashed ROM. it prevents countless errors over time

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro