PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: pageplus

spb37 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch pro versus Touch pro II running similar ROMs and SPB

Reviews for the TPII are much better than any other WM smartphone past or present.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=4998 .

Hard to tell if it is the hardware or HTC's innovative 3d touchflo software. If I got a used TP1 I would put a WM6.5 ROM and SPB on it. At that point what are the advantages of TP2. Screen is larger but is it brighter or more contrasty. It looks like some people prefer TP2's keyboard. But TP1 has some serious advantages including being much lighter, smaller and cheaper used. What am I overlooking in favor of TP2. Please help me rationalize getting the TP1. Thx
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Re: Touch pro versus Touch pro II running similar ROMs and SPB

The TP1 and TP2 are essentially the same internals. Now VZW maybe a little different. VZW TP1 had some of the ram stripped (192 I think it was) and I dont think they gimped their TP2 as bad.

But on every other carrier, the TP2 and the TP1 are identical as far as internals. Only difference is the large screen, larger case, and button placement.

I would think the only differences in performance that everyone seems to be claiming would be due to the differences in ROMs.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: pageplus
Threadstarter

spb37 is a n00b

Thx for the gimp warning. From googling there are tweaks like the performance setting in advanced config tool and / or flashing a ROM geared towards performance.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Linux Administrator

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Yeah. Theres TONS of tweaks for the Touch Pro! Honestly if you flash a good rom for that TP1 you will probably be just as happy as if you flashed a rom to a TP2. Save yourself some cash

I had a TP1 from Verizon for a while, but now I am on Sprint. I can tell you from experience, the Sprint TP is leaps and bounds better than the VZW TP. I was amazed at how much smoother the Sprint version was.

Hope I helped ya out. If I did a "Thanks" button click would be much appreciated
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)
Carrier: Sprint

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

I think the only two selling points are the 3.5mm jack and the screen size, I don't like the look of the new keyboard and it's the same processor and ram as the Touch Pro. Unless they put out better drivers, I doubt there'd be any performance increase
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Linux Administrator

Good point about the 3.5mm jack! Thats a feature you dont realize how much you miss till its gone

Personally, I am waiting to see what Sprint does for first quarter of next year. I am hoping they get some variant of the HTC HD2.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

I'm holding out until the Leo debuts and then I'll wait some more for a Leo with full hardware keyboard. I want to mess with Android but I wouldn't buy the Hero since like the HD2/TP2 it has the same hardware set as the TP1. (Yes I know the Leo isn't Android, but the Passion is). I'd pay a maximum of $100 on the TP2 since they are taking some keys from me and only upgrading the screen and adding the convenient 3.5mm jack. The rest is the same ol' crap lol

Last edited by iviyth0s; 11-20-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 AM
Linux Administrator

The Leo is the HD2. There is rumor that Sprint will be getting the HTC Leo (AKA HTC HD2) and they are supposedly naming it the HTC Adonis.
Oh, its also rumored that the HD2/Leo is going to run WinMo and will have Sense (which is really just an updated TouchFlo).

The Leo/HD2 wont have a hardware keyboard. You will have to wait for the TP3 for that probably.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G and to the curb I kicked, WINMO

shatner is keeping up the good workshatner is keeping up the good work

oh yeah and hopefully the TP2 has better build quality.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro