PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How hard is it to actually brick a touch pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78232)

raidzero 08-06-2009 03:53 PM

How hard is it to actually brick a touch pro?

Seriously, how many people have really killed their phones? I am of course not TRYING to do it, but with all I have done to my phone I am beginning to think its impossible.. When learning to cook sometimes you flash one and it doesn't boot and gets stuck at the red lettering, but bootloader mode is always ready to rescue me... so I am just wondering who here as actually bricked their phone and how did they do it? I am sure you'd remember what did it...

MadlyAlive 08-06-2009 04:05 PM

Re: How hard is it to actually brick a touch pro?

I've never bricked mine.

I think it's pretty rare that someone bricks it to the point that they need a new one.

pyro254750 08-06-2009 04:13 PM

i think more often what happens is someone just screws it up enough that they give up on it. ive never done anything that couldnt be fixed with a reflash, whether it be usb or SD. afterall, this is all software we are dealing with. I cant imagine its possible 99% of the time to brick it without messing with the hardware.

MadlyAlive 08-06-2009 04:17 PM

I think a lot of people throw that term around pretty loosely too.

Mr.KLeen 08-06-2009 04:23 PM

even if you flash a gsm rom on a cdma phone, you cant brick it.

raidzero 08-06-2009 04:23 PM

OK, I'm just curious how far I can go when editing SYS files, mixing up sys/xip from different builds, porting rom and xip's etc before I should start to be careful and worry that I might actually make a real brick..

Mr.KLeen 08-06-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1085490)
OK, I'm just curious how far I can go when editing SYS files, mixing up sys/xip from different builds, porting rom and xip's etc before I should start to be careful and worry that I might actually make a real brick..

you trying to make a super rom?:)

raidzero 08-06-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimecm (Post 1085491)
you trying to make a super rom?:)

well duh! lol

erbegu 03-01-2010 06:06 AM

hi jimecm, u said that if someone flash a gsm rom on a cdma phone it cant be bricked, well i flashed a cdma rom on my gsm phone (T-Mobile touch pro) and now i don't know what to do, i tried flashing with the micro SD but it still doesn't work, when i reset it (volume down + center button + reset) it only restarts and gives me the opportunity to restore it, but it does nothing, couse after that it come again at the fist screen (with the T-Mobile logo) and stays as it were. Please Help Me

hamagc 03-01-2010 12:54 PM

i don't know that it's possible to do a software brick on these devices. i think the only way to brick is to have a hardware failure as well as a software failure. otherwise the bootloader jumps in before any software is booted so you can always reflash.

erbegu, you'd find better help in the gsm section of this forum but to quickly help, you need to reflash to a gsm rom, not just reset the phone.