PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down I really hate 6.5's interface...

Am I the only one here who really hates 6.5's interface? The home screen sucks (I prefer the pre-6.5 non-TF3D style, much more info visible at once) and the honeycomb-style program launcher just made me nauseous. I'm not kidding. As soon as I saw it, I put the phone down and started downloading a stock ROM to get this abomination off my phone.

If this is all WM has to show for years of development, I will skip the TP2 and jump to Android, pronto.

Is there a ROM around that gives the benefit of 6.5's updated files but drops the child-like interface?

Thanks....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: I really hate 6.5's interface...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Am I the only one here who really hates 6.5's interface? The home screen sucks (I prefer the pre-6.5 non-TF3D style, much more info visible at once) and the honeycomb-style program launcher just made me nauseous. I'm not kidding. As soon as I saw it, I put the phone down and started downloading a stock ROM to get this abomination off my phone.

If this is all WM has to show for years of development, I will skip the TP2 and jump to Android, pronto.

Is there a ROM around that gives the benefit of 6.5's updated files but drops the child-like interface?

Thanks....
I sort of understand where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of Titanium (which is what you were looking at) either. I use TF3D / SPB MS3.

You get use to the Start Menu...again I prefer 6.1

If you really need the traditional 6.1 Home Screen then go for it. I only like 6.5 for its finger scrollability
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

bkurek is becoming a great contributor

i'm with you. hate the start menu. hate titanium. thinking of actually buying an iphone if windows mobile keeps moving in this direction with their interface which appears they are.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post
I sort of understand where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of Titanium (which is what you were looking at) either. I use TF3D / SPB MS3.

You get use to the Start Menu...again I prefer 6.1

If you really need the traditional 6.1 Home Screen then go for it. I only like 6.5 for its finger scrollability
Does SPB MS3 have a free trial available? I've never used it, and am not willing to put down cash without testing it first. I've heard good things about it though.

It's not that I don't like eye candy - It's that the interface literally reminded me of fisher-price, the children's toy maker. Even though I did not buy my phone to do corporate type stuff, I still like the business-like interface. I like seeing as much data on my today screen as I can stand. In fact, I view the today screen as one of those WM innovations that everyone else has tried to copy. It's nice to press one button and have all your commonly updated things right there. Twitter, IM, email, weather, news, google search bar, appointments, tasks, etc.

None of the items on the today screen needs to be particularly large - I look at it as an overview. If more info is desired, say if the twitter feed of a friend has something interesting, you click on it and it takes you to the expanded version. If the weather indicates rain, click on it and see how high the rain chance is, when it's likely to rain, and for how long, etc.

As far as finger scrollability - While this is nice for some things - Photo viewing, some web pages, and maybe a precious few others - I view it as a pure gimmick. I do not want to use my fingers on a 2.8 inch screen. To do so would require the info on the screen to be more spread out, since fingers are not nearly as precise as a stylus, with a resulting big penalty in the amount of information displayed. Whereas one today screen intended for use with a stylus might have 9 apps worth of data, with some room to spare, a finger-friendly version would have maybe 1/3 of the info, requiring me to scroll to the next couple of pages just to see all of it. If I wanted to use my fingers as a pointer, I would have bought an iPhone.

In addition to not wanting to use my fingers as a pointer, I bought a WM device because it is flexible in the extreme. It has the ability to run any app you can code, with no artificial walls to stop you. This means that for me, it comes as close to a laptop replacement as a phone ever will. Maybe people here didn't buy their phones as a laptop replacement, but I certainly did.

My apologies for getting off topic..
Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I personally disagree. Once I got it, I've never used TF3D since. I find it quicker and cleaner. And the start menu doesn't bother me in the least. Responsive and easy. Wish it had an MRU, but it's otherwise quite usable. And I personally DO like the finger-friendliness. I really would rather not have to pull out my stylus except for when it's absolutely necessary, such as in Remote Desktop. Otherwise I'd rather the quick access my fingers provide, and 6.5 handles that a lot better.

To each his own, OBVIOUSLY, and I can understand why it's not fitting your needs, but just wanted to make sure this thread didn't fill up with only people who agree with you. A lot of us think it's a welcome improvement.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Just a NooB
Pocket PC: ZoOm ZoOm EVO Time

Sporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ahhh dont use it ? pretty simple imho it grows on you the more you use it
Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post

Thanks....
try my rom it is 6.5 does not have the honeycomb theme, runing touch flow, ect check it out plus the more you use titanium it grows on u
also if u hate touch flow, then just disable it by going to start settings today items its not hard

Last edited by dodge_longhorn; 08-03-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

bkurek is becoming a great contributor

here are two things i specifically don't like. perhaps theres a wy to make me happy? first i lie how tf3d shows me one page with all 4 email acounts and their unread counts with message preview. second i like to watch the weater in 3 areas at the same time. home, beach and mountains. is there a way to do things beter with titanium that will give me something similar. if so it may grow on me.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

if i could get titanium customized as much as my tf3d i would love it, but cHome doesnt work like its supposed to as its beta. maybe when it gets better i will like it. i love the scrolling in 6.5 though
Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
I personally disagree. Once I got it, I've never used TF3D since. I find it quicker and cleaner. And the start menu doesn't bother me in the least. Responsive and easy. Wish it had an MRU, but it's otherwise quite usable. And I personally DO like the finger-friendliness. I really would rather not have to pull out my stylus except for when it's absolutely necessary, such as in Remote Desktop. Otherwise I'd rather the quick access my fingers provide, and 6.5 handles that a lot better.

To each his own, OBVIOUSLY, and I can understand why it's not fitting your needs, but just wanted to make sure this thread didn't fill up with only people who agree with you. A lot of us think it's a welcome improvement.
No need to worry about this thread filling up with only people who agree with me, you took care of that quite well, lol. I can understand that some people prefer finger-friendly navigation, and for those that prefer it, it should be available. That's one of WM's hallmarks - Its extreme adaptability. It's just that I prefer the old-style way. There's no reason I can't have the navigation brought back to the way I'm comfortable with while still getting the benefit of 6.5's updated files. (A small speed boost, updated IE, *some* nice eye candy, etc..)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro