PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Using Phone & Data (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76949)

Phen0m 07-29-2009 01:40 PM

Using Phone & Data

Hey guys.. got a problem..

I bought the TP as a business phone and alternative to the boring blackberries.. I have had numerous issues with it to this point, but the most annoying one is the inability to use Data and Phone simultaneously?

I've purchase Wifirouter is hopes of tethering the phone to my laptop to surf while handling calls, but obviously to no avail >.< Is there a workaround for this?

Let me know!

P.S. i'm with Sprint if that matters

Thanks

krohnjw 07-29-2009 01:47 PM

Re: Using Phone & Data

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phen0m (Post 1067740)
Hey guys.. got a problem..

I bought the TP as a business phone and alternative to the boring blackberries.. I have had numerous issues with it to this point, but the most annoying one is the inability to use Data and Phone simultaneously?

I've purchase Wifirouter is hopes of tethering the phone to my laptop to surf while handling calls, but obviously to no avail >.< Is there a workaround for this?

Let me know!

P.S. i'm with Sprint if that matters

Thanks

AFAIK this is something that CDMA does not do that GSM does (simultaneous data and voice). Even the 3G CDMA tech doesn't allow it - however the 3G GSM tech does. Unfortunate but a technology restriction.

Mylt1 07-29-2009 01:57 PM

not gonna happen. several have tried to get it to work but a cell call disrupts data.

basilray 07-29-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohnjw (Post 1067754)
AFAIK this is something that CDMA does not do that GSM does (simultaneous data and voice). Even the 3G CDMA tech doesn't allow it - however the 3G GSM tech does. Unfortunate but a technology restriction.

Correct, CDMA is hindered in this respect. But honestly, aside from Video calling, I can't think of a time when it's necessary to have data and voice going at the same time...so not sure OP is trying to do!

boredandtattooed 07-29-2009 04:55 PM

sorry man, GSM's only

Unknown Zone 07-29-2009 06:16 PM

yup just like all the above posts stated, it is a "either/or" thing but not both on CDMA :sad:

krohnjw 07-29-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilray (Post 1067974)
Correct, CDMA is hindered in this respect. But honestly, aside from Video calling, I can't think of a time when it's necessary to have data and voice going at the same time...so not sure OP is trying to do!

I tether for work when I am traveling (at airports for example) and several times I've had to be on the phone as well as accessing some servers remotely at the same time - no can do there. So I take the call - reconnect, disconnect, call, reconnect, disconnect repeat. In that instance it would be great to be able to do data + voice at the same time.