PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Nice hack to increase signal strength (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76785)

dcperdue 07-28-2009 05:20 PM

Nice hack to increase signal strength

UPDATED INFO JUL-29

Certain providers need certain items in the RF radio. My buddy had a VZ phone and I also had to change the following items. If they are in your phones RF items then change them. If you cant find them then you dont need them.

NV_FM_AGC_1 (default MIN = 43 MAX = 28)
NV_CDMA_MIN_RX_RSSI_I (default -1150)

It depends on what type of radio id and subsid your provider is using and the freq for those other 2 to show in nv items. Cricket dont need them. I dont know about other providers. I have done this on 2 Cricket flashed Touch pro's and 1 Diamond on VZW and an 9800 That was on Cricket. Like I said on the VZW Diamond the above 2 fields appeared. I seen a post some place with a guy using a Telus and he had to change those above settings.

What we are going to do is change the front end gain of the RF receiver. This was found on my CDMA Alltel Phone. Use at your OWN risk and don’t blame me if your phone decides to become better suited for masonry.

QPST_v2.7_Build_301.exe (FYI, this proggy will also give you file system access like BitPim)

Google it, you WILL find it. Don’t waste my time asking for it.

Now you will need to setup the software to talk to your phone. Using your device manager find what comport the WDM for your phone is. It is under “comports”. Select that comport in your “QPST Configuration” and “Enable” that port.

Now open the “RF NV Item Manager”

Select “File” - “Read From Phone”.

Recommend: (from this point on, RECORD ON PAPER the default values of anything you change, all default values stated were from my phone)

Look for the Item (select write to save new values)
NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default = 2592)
We want a lower offset, I gave mine a difference of 1000 at first then later tweaked it to 500. Final value (2092)

NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default = 3492)
Again we want a lower offset, I gave mine a difference of 1000 at first then later tweaked it to 1100. Final value (2392)

Walla No more dropped calls and enjoy being able to use your phone in places you could not before because of no bars. In my server room I had no bars and phone alwayes went into searching for networks. I have no problems at all now. I am on cricket but dont see why this wont work on other providers.

Hypnotic2010 07-28-2009 05:28 PM

Re: Nice hack to increase signal strength

Wow if this works you are the man! I dont know if I want to be the first Guinea pig though. What about the battery life?? How much of a difference have you seen??
Thanks though!
Whos gonna try it first??

Here is a link to the QPST v2.7 file
: edit (possible warez) Easy to google though.

apristel 07-28-2009 05:34 PM

I'll try it now. I'll report back.

btw, that link is prob warez.

Mylt1 07-28-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apristel (Post 1065800)
btw, that link is prob warez.

LOL, your probably right but some of us will get it downloaded BEFORE it gets moderated. :mrgreen:

apristel 07-28-2009 05:46 PM

What port is default? Windows 7 doesn't list the com ports like in the past. I can't find it.

wchamblee 07-28-2009 05:46 PM

Did anyone test?

apristel 07-28-2009 05:50 PM

bah qpst blows in windows 7. Im gunna have to wait till i get home.

kaoss_11 07-28-2009 05:59 PM

cant get phone to connect

kaoss_11 07-28-2009 06:05 PM

never mind once I ##3424 / ##3424# = DIAG (DMR - for QPST editing) it automatically recognizes the phone

psycho_maniac 07-28-2009 06:08 PM

anybody try this with alltel? i wanna try this as i have horrible servie and wanna somehow try to get better service as i live in the sticks