PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW) -> HTC Touch Pro 2 (VZW)
Carrier: VZW

aaronvlee is keeping up the good workaaronvlee is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need a little help understanding this memory thing?

Ok, there's the program, storage, then sd...cool

Where I'm stuck is...

1. When a rom is flashed, pre-setup, what memory location is the full rom written to and if not the whole thing, what goes to what memory? Apps to storage and operating memory and cache in program? How's it work?

2. During the set-up (or customization), where are the apps be written to? Part program and storage or just storage?

3. Is the windows directory in "program memory"?

4. If all this is true, why the hell doesn't anyone make clean bases with provided cabs to UC during setup so that everything else goes to storage?

I ask this because I've been most successful with my TP as far as speed and memory effectiveness using Scott's V2 rom that had TLR manila. It booted with 59% and maxed at 71% on a bad day, 80% if I was doing a CRAP load of stuff and had apps running also that all the apps I had were cabs I installed AFTER the flash and weren't eating up my memory.

Another example is when I flashed DREAM's rom (which was the ABSOLUTE ****! AWSOME TO SAY THE LEAST), it booted at arund 80% and had less apps than what I had on scotts. Not to mention, I cabbed all the extra HTC bloat into scotts and still was cool wich speed and HEAVY multitasking. This is simply an observation I've notcied over my year of flashing and testing.

I now have SsS' Lite rom which runs fine, but I'm now getting similar symtoms. I start Skyfire (official release, not the beta), and it crashes upon fully loading. The rom is freaking awsome, but if the base alone was provide and cabs left on the side, I truely believe this could help us Verizon users appreciate the majority ff the work you all do, which we do as is lol.

I'm gonna start a little project of my own for now, running a SUPER RETARTED clean rom with pretty much just internet sharing and office on it and I'll just cab the rest in and seen what happens. Reason I'm rom seeking, cause I almost fried my TP a couple times trying to build one and I'm not gonna fry 500-600 dollars over software (cause I don't have spares lol).

PS - I honestly don't believe anything people say about Manila beating memory down cause I had 3 manilas with every piece of HTC bloat I could find from the volume to the topaz calc and Scott's was perfectly fine with multitasking. I would have like 10 apps open at a time (Kinoma, Skyfire, WinMedia, pretty hefty ones). Now on Dream's, I open opera, and it stops instantly due to a memory strain.

If I am wrong, please just explain what is actually happening cause I can't find the answer anywhere!

Last edited by aaronvlee; 07-27-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

PPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good workPPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good work
Re: I need a little help understanding this memory thing?

Program memory is volatile RAM that loses all information when powered down. There's no way a ROM could be storing things in there.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

you have a vzw TP, thats your prob... you have half the memory he rest of us do..
Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you have a vzw TP, thats your prob... you have half the memory he rest of us do..
Agreed. Verizon TP = gimped device
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

When you flash a ROM it goes into the ROM Memory not the other....

There really is no physical difference between Program memory and storage memory...It's really the same momory (RAM)

Whatever memory is left after storage is what is available as program memory!

I think the problem you are having with flashed roms is because you have your pagepool set too high! (especially important on a VZW phone!)

The page pool reserves a portion of your remaining ram for operational usage to speed up your phone! (think of it like a ram swap file!)

Before you flash your rom try using the pagepool changer (which should come with the rom your flashing, if it doesn't search for it and use it!)
lower your pagepool to 8-12 instead of the usual 24 that most cooks use.

You should shoot for about 50 - 60% ram usage on startup.
If you don't have that much try lowering the pagepool or removing some apps you don't need.

TF3D2 does take up a ton of ram but voice command does too!
look in your windows startup folder and see if there is anything you don't need running in there and remove it!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

techguru is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
Although true, it is strange that my VZW Vouge even with stock ROM had much more available program memory when running virtually the same applications then my VZW Touch Pro with stock ROM that has more ROM to begin with. I have been trying to figure out what is taking up so much memory.

Alan
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW) -> HTC Touch Pro 2 (VZW)
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

aaronvlee is keeping up the good workaaronvlee is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
When you flash a ROM it goes into the ROM Memory not the other....

There really is no physical difference between Program memory and storage memory...It's really the same momory (RAM)

Whatever memory is left after storage is what is available as program memory!

I think the problem you are having with flashed roms is because you have your pagepool set too high! (especially important on a VZW phone!)

The page pool reserves a portion of your remaining ram for operational usage to speed up your phone! (think of it like a ram swap file!)

Before you flash your rom try using the pagepool changer (which should come with the rom your flashing, if it doesn't search for it and use it!)
lower your pagepool to 8-12 instead of the usual 24 that most cooks use.

You should shoot for about 50 - 60% ram usage on startup.
If you don't have that much try lowering the pagepool or removing some apps you don't need.

TF3D2 does take up a ton of ram but voice command does too!
look in your windows startup folder and see if there is anything you don't need running in there and remove it!
TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT PAGEPOOL!!! DAMNIT!!! lol One thing, is there a new pagepool changer available now? At the time (around 9 months ago) there's was this big debate on how the pagepool changer was actually changin the pagepools correctly...like it half worked being that there were 2 values that needed to be changed but it only changed one...is this still a valid assumtion or is it now irrelevant?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro