PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint TouchPro2
Carrier: Sprint

amart79196 is keeping up the good workamart79196 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data Roaming on EVDO-RevA

I am on the Sprint network. I wanted to know how I can use the Verizon REV.A data network when I am out of range of any sprint tower. It seems as though I can only access the "1x" data while roaming. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by amart79196; 07-27-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Data Roaming on EVDO-RevA

dont think it works like that.... carriers dont even have to let other carriers roam on their networks.. its expensive... if your data roaming, odds are your roaming on another network already.. so your stuck with what u get...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Verizon only allows 1x speeds for Sprint customers that are roaming on their networks. I'm pretty sure it's part of the agreement between Sprint and Verizon.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good workPPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good work

Yeah, Sprint and Verizon do not have an EVDO roaming agreement. I wish they did.

If you flashed a Verizon PRL to your phone it might work, but that's risky.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCGeeks4ME View Post
Yeah, Sprint and Verizon do not have an EVDO roaming agreement. I wish they did.

If you flashed a Verizon PRL to your phone it might work, but that's risky.
something like this is probably done on the tower side and not client side. It's probably likely that when a non Verizon ESN is on the tower, they only allow for a 1x connection and refuse EVDO connections.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Does anyone know if it is on the tower side, or a hack to my phone like changing the PRL could make it happen?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I hate to bump, but I need some confirming info on this please.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by amart79196 View Post
I hate to bump, but I need some confirming info on this please.
I hate to burst your bubble but i'm not going to go scour the web for your personal feelings on something we already know to be true for oh so long now. I don't know if it is contract or not but verizon does not allow evdo roaming (this has been known forever now.) Alltell on the other hand does or did (i'm not to sure with their latest mergers and prl updates) allow evdo roaming which is fortunate for some people.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RHOD500
Carrier: VZW

vzwdts is keeping up the good workvzwdts is keeping up the good work

VZW's AAA server will recognize you as a Sprint customer and only allow data connections to the network via 1X. There's nothing you can do on the handset end.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Not in my area. As of a few weeks ago, loading a VZ PRL will have full EV connectivity.

But I bet if they see you doing it alot you'll have a big roaming bill.

Some areas are provided by Alltel EVDO on the Sprint side and you don't know it unless you look at the debug screen on the phone. It's not considered roaming in those areas. So I assume when they integrated these areas with VZ they had to open the EV network. The phone still picks up on the Alltel EVDO and not the VZ since those channels are not in the PRL hunt list.

I would highly advise against modifying your PRL or loading a VZ PRL!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro