PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Despretly tying to tether laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you dont need active sync to tether...

wmwifirouter
pdanet
HTC WIfiRouter(new)

are all viable ways to tether
Internet Sharing ftw
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

so yeah active sync downloads driver to my phone huh... i love the way AS has the Over The Air ability to do this since i use wifi and my phone never touches the comp...

i still say AS has nothing to do with it...

**edit** the post above mine, ICS gives you the slowest speeds out of all the choices
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
so yeah active sync downloads driver to my phone huh... i love the way AS has the Over The Air ability to do this since i use wifi and my phone never touches the comp...

**edit** the post above mine, ICS gives you the slowest speeds out of all the choices
Um, I didnt say It downloads files to your phone. It installs the need files on your pc to recognize your device as a modem. You probably never realized that because most likely you installed activesync before you got to trying the tethering option. I know this because when repairing pcs, if I do a fresh install of an os on the pc I use my TP to download the updates and get the pc running. I can NOT tether my phone to the pc untill ActiveSync has installed the necesarry drivers to the pc to recognize the phone as a modem.

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

I would say you are possibly misunderstanding what he meant with that post. The drivers install on the PC so that the PC may use the connection to the phone as a modem. WMWifirouter and the new HTC wifi apps do not need this. PDANet as well as Internet Sharing though do create and use a modem to communicate the data between the device and the PC itself (whether it is through USB or BT). Drivers will be needed to create the proper modem device regardless of the source (via AS/WMDC or installing the drivers manually).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
I would say you are possibly misunderstanding what he meant with that post. The drivers install on the PC so that the PC may use the connection to the phone as a modem. WMWifirouter and the new HTC wifi apps do not need this. PDANet as well as Internet Sharing though do create and use a modem to communicate the data between the device and the PC itself (whether it is through USB or BT). Drivers will be needed to create the proper modem device regardless of the source (via AS/WMDC or installing the drivers manually).
Thank-you sir..
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

what r u thanking him for... u were still wrong, and extremely wrong in my case..

First, you only need AS for 2 of the 4 tethering options above, maybe you shouldve asked which I,personally, was using before you told me i was flat out wrong and i couldnt possibly know what i was talking about..

Second.. AS is on my PC, i tether via wifi to my Laptop, not the PC... my TP has never touched my laptop.. thats why i knew i was right and i didnt need AS to tether..
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

shred_head is a n00b

do you get charged for the tethering doing this method? or is using these programs a way around getting tethering charges

ps. i'm on telus
Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

i guess ill say this: you should contact your carrier for the right plan...

however..

ive been using wmwifi since Febuary i think, never seen a charge.. 99% of us have never seen a charge..

carrier do a 3month sweep of our Data usage.. Sprint has a 5gb(soft cap) on data usage.. this means if you go over a little its no big deal... but if your doing serious data usage(ie torrents), video streaming, etc its easy to go over 5gb quickly... if you do it often and several months in a row, then MAYBE youll see a charge, or have your contract terminated even..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:

I haven't seen much difference in speeds between ICS and WMWifiRouter. I rarely do anything 'hardcore' while tethering like torrents. For surfing the web and charging my phone I might as well just use ICS
Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc

Quote:
what r u thanking him for... u were still wrong, and extremely wrong in my case..

First, you only need AS for 2 of the 4 tethering options above, maybe you shouldve asked which I,personally, was using before you told me i was flat out wrong and i couldnt possibly know what i was talking about..

Second.. AS is on my PC, i tether via wifi to my Laptop, not the PC... my TP has never touched my laptop.. thats why i knew i was right and i didnt need AS to tether..
Ok, let me be clear. I was responding to his first post about tethering via usb to activesync. Using wmwifirouter through Wifi is different. To tether via Wifi using Wifirouter you only need wifi on your pc to tether and dont need Activesync. If you want to use Phone as A modem via your usb cable with internet sharing you DO need the activesync drivers.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro