PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

View Poll Results: Which browser do you use the most on your tp?
Pocket Internet Explorer 48 16.55%
Opera Mobile 178 61.38%
Opera Mini 22 7.59%
Skyfire 37 12.76%
Iris 1 0.34%
Minimo 0 0%
Other 4 1.38%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

asuh is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
which browser do you prefer?

So the TP comes with both IE and Opera Mobile 9.5. Here are the latest browsers out for WM6.1:

Opera Mobile 9.5 (http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/)
Pocket Internet Explorer (included)
Pocket Internet Explorer 6 (PIE6) Mobile (coming soon! http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...ser-coming.asp)
Safari Mobile (http://www.torchmobile.com/download/)
Skyfire (http://www.skyfire.com/)
Firefox Mobile (coming soon - http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ly_surface.php)
NetFront Browser 3.5 (http://www.access-company.com/produc...ser/index.html)

I think Opera Mobile so far, being that this is my first try with it, nice. Seems pretty stable, a little slower than IE sometimes, but overall good browsing experience. I find it's a little quirky when loading and double clicking at the same time to zoom in. Kinda annoying.

Do any of these other browsers have better features or performance compared to Opera Mobile? Is there a browser missing from this list?

Last edited by asuh; 11-14-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:59 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Re: which browser do you prefer?

well, only 2 of those work with the TP right now, skyfire works halfway, and I mean halway. until skyfire works with the TP, opera will have to do. the only thing i dont use opera for now, is orb. other than that its crappy opera all the way :-\
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

gladesmellzgood is keeping up the good workgladesmellzgood is keeping up the good workgladesmellzgood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to gladesmellzgood Send a message via Yahoo to gladesmellzgood

I actually really like opera mobile it works pretty quick and is flash compatible.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

JBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh View Post
So the TP comes with both IE and Opera Mobile 9.5. Here are the latest browsers out for WM6.1:

Opera Mobile 9.5 (http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/)
Pocket Internet Explorer (included)
Safari Mobile (http://www.torchmobile.com/download/)
Skyfire (http://www.skyfire.com/)
Firefox Mobile (coming soon - http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ly_surface.php)

I think Opera Mobile so far, being that this is my first try with it, nice. Seems pretty stable, a little slower than IE sometimes, but overall good browsing experience. I find it's a little quirky when loading and double clicking at the same time to zoom in. Kinda annoying.

Do any of these other browsers have better features or performance compared to Opera Mobile? Is there a browser missing from this list?
NetFront™ Browser v3.5 is missing from the list, but not really worth mentioning at this time (it's slowwwwwwwww).

Please forgive the correction, but there is no such thing as "Safari Mobile" for Windows Mobile. That'd mean that Apple licensed Safari for Windows Mobile use, which would crush its iPhone sales. Webkit is used in both Safari and the Iris Browser, which is developed by Torch Mobile. An absolutely awful browser for most current handsets in user's hands, but nice if you have enough hardware. The GUI needs a massive overhaul for it to become more finger friendly. Iris is definitely a stylus-driven browser. Your finger will only allow to scroll easily, but pressing links is done most accurately with a stylus, unless you zoom in as close as Iris will allow.

In terms of what's available right now, Opera Mobile is best if you want a self-sufficient browser. For browser-assisted use, go with Opera Mini. Skyfire is on the horizon for a few VGA devices. The NDA I signed does not allow me to be specific, so I am not allowed to give release dates or disclose the pace of development. Your patience will set you free, though. Fennec seems interesting. I tested it on my desktop. It's still alpha, so I expected glitches, but it works d*mn good for an alpha build, even though I'm unable to test it on my mobile.

Last edited by JBundy; 11-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

The Opera that comes with it is really nice, IMO.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

Opera is the best right now.

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc

silly me, but i liked PIE better than opera.
i wish i could completly remove opera or at least not make it default app when clicking links in emails and what not. i'm sure that will come with the custom roms.
PDA's I've owned/used in order... (retentions loves me)... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve)
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO

cjedgington is a n00b

I was wondering the same thing about Skyfire...i was all crazy excited to see how it would work on my Pro..then disapointment. I mean it works fine as long as i dont tilt the phone any kind of way. Wonder why it does that...i was kinda scared it was something wrong with the phone...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bairice is keeping up the good workbairice is keeping up the good work

I've tried Opera mini and Opera mobile on my Mogul, and I have stuck with Opera mini for its general speed and page rendering speed. Would you guys say that opera mobile trumps opera mini when using the touch pro?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Am I the only person on this forum who doesn't like Skyfire?

It's a nice browser, but it's a complete battery hog, Flash isn't THAT great on it, and it renders much slower than Opera does (like when you're scrolling up and down...checkered background thing). I don't hate it or anything, but I actually prefer any the new Opera browser (or Mini 4.1) over it.

Last edited by Cicatrize; 10-27-2008 at 09:59 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro