PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   changing start textHelp !!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75826)

millz99 07-22-2009 11:47 PM

changing start textHelp !!!

can someone please help me,I'm trying to do a custom start text on my htc touch pro.I have found many tutorials on how to do this and i am following directions to the "t" & I have froze my phone atleast 10 times already since i have already lost all my info i figure i keep going until i figure it out these are the steps and tools I am taking and using

1.sdkcerts-

I install this first altho i can't find where it goes for instance i can see the other programs in program files or the add or remove menu but this just says it's installed successfully and is nowhere to be found don't know if it's suppose to be this way or not.

2.ROM_Extractor-

I use this to extract the shellres.dll.0409.mui file to my storage card by typing

\windows\shellres.dll.0409.mui

extracted to

\storage card\shellres.dll.0409.mui

3.unsigner.exe-

after i extract my dll file to my storage card i connect my phone to my pc and transfer the file to a folder where it is ready to be unsigned now I've had problems with this according to what i have read i'm suppose to drag the extracted dll file over to the unsign.exe icon and it unsigned when i do this i see the black command prompt looking box flash for 1 sec and that's it not sure if that's what it is suppose to do or not so as a alternative after the first couple of freezes i read somewhere else where i need something called a batchUnsign.bat file so i found this batchUnsign.bat file and i made a new folder for the unsigned exe.,the shellres.dll.0409.mui file and the new batchUnsign.bat file this seems to do the job the black command box pops up reading unsigning shellres.dll.0409.mui file press any key to continue and it's done.

4.ResHacker exe.-

now after i went through the unsigning process i dragged and dropped my dll file in this program (ResHacker exe.) then i navigated to string value 321 and changed the name from start to something else once done i click compile script and it gave me a new .dll file with the first dll file renamed to now reading orginal.dll

5.siggner or mssigner-

after the previous step i opened this program and search for my dll file once i found it i was prompted to click the start signing process a box popped up reading "process finished" along with a new txt.doc. file for the dll that has nothing in it to read.

6.total commander-

now after step 5 i transfered my new shellres.dll.0409.mui file to my storage card using active sync then from my phone using tcm i navigate to my storage card and copy the new dll file to the clip board after i go to windows and find the original shellres.dll.0409.mui file i try to rename but first i'm sent to a copy/move file screen and i know i'm pressing rename I've done it about ten times and my screen calibration is on point so i'm guessing that's where i'm suppose to be so after i rename the file to shellres.dll.0409.mui.bak i try to finish this process by pressing OK and i get a message to overwrite the shellres.dll.0409.mui.bak file with the original shellres.dll.0409.mui my options are a follows

1. cancel
2. overwrite all
3. overwrite all older
4. skip all

I've tried all four i get a cannot copy or move file error or it's seems like it's doing something but the file never changes even after a soft reset so i tried a alternative by pressing on the original shellres.dll.0409.mu file until the pop up box shows the options to copy/move/rename etc.so i choose the paste here option to paste the new dll i copied from my storage to overwrite and it does something as if its over writing but when i do a s.reset my phone freezes on the window screen everytime..

now there is another program i installed but don't know what it's for "Icone Demarrer" i installed this after the sdkcerts
tool..... i am obviously doing something wrong but i can't seem to figure it out if someone can help me i would really be greatly.I am very new to all this so it's probably a noob mistake forgive the long post

thanks

apristel 07-23-2009 12:19 AM

Re: changing start textHelp !!!

rename the shellres.dll.0409.mui in your windows folder on the phone to shellres.dll.0409.mui.bak using total commander and then copy the new shellres.dll.0409.mui to the windows directory, softreset done.

millz99 07-23-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apristel (Post 1053976)
rename the shellres.dll.0409.mui in your windows folder on the phone to shellres.dll.0409.mui.bak using total commander and then copy the new shellres.dll.0409.mui to the windows directory, softreset done.

i wish it was that simple for me but total commander for some reason is not letting me rename the file or overwrite it.. Do you have anymore suggestions??

psycho_maniac 07-23-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millz99 (Post 1054086)
i wish it was that simple for me but total commander for some reason is not letting me rename the file or overwrite it.. Do you have anymore suggestions??

copy the file to the storage card and then edit it in there. after that copy it back to where it was. this PROBABLY WONT work but hey its worth a try

jdmsleepr 07-26-2009 01:37 PM

you can make a cab to install and overwrite the original file...

apristel 07-26-2009 02:39 PM

I did this with Total Commander after stuggling. you add .bak to the .mui, make it look like .mui.bak and then copy your new file in the windows directory.

boredandtattooed 07-26-2009 02:40 PM

custom start text??? i dont understand

do u mean the start menu?? use UITweaker if u want to change the text/highlight colors..

do u mean the startup and splashcreens when u startup the device?? change welcomehead.192.png and startup_480x640.gif

apristel 07-26-2009 02:43 PM

This refers changing the text "Start" ( by the start button on the taskbar ) to something custom.

Here is an example, it says Adam instead of start.

http://i31.tinypic.com/etv8eo.jpg

boredandtattooed 07-26-2009 02:49 PM

ooooh, gotcha...

that seems like alot of BS to go through to change that...

i swear another app has the option to change what START says, im trying to find it now

psycho_maniac 07-27-2009 09:37 PM

id rather go though that bs then have to install a app to change it. idk why but i hate installing apps to change one little thing.