PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   blackberry is faster!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75676)

dbord_n 07-22-2009 03:19 AM

blackberry is faster!!!

ok i know i am beating a dead horse, but i have the TP and my wife has a blackberry curve, well i decided to check the speed test on her phone using the dslreports and i was getting like 700-900 with spikes around 1.4 mbs, and on my phone i am pulling around 300-500. what is going on!!!!! is there something wrong with my phone???? i flashed back to the stock alltel rom and have tried a few radios still nothing!!!! we recently switched from alltel to verizon on the stupid buyout so is it cause of that are they still doing the switching in the system, but if they are doing that why would the blackberry be faster. i forgot that we have rA here too so my TP should be blowing her phone out of the water!!!

kabuk1 07-22-2009 04:26 AM

Re: blackberry is faster!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BBs go through RIM's servers for email & web, right? So you won't get an accurate speed test result. I get 9 mbps(grossly inaccurate) when I test with Opera Mini, which also goes through remote servers, so don't feel so bad. Your phone is still better no matter what.

Spr0ckEt 07-22-2009 04:48 AM

It could be that they have different PRL's For some reason, the blackberrys and usb modems get a different PRL class than the smartphones. try searching the site for the latest PRL. Its a pretty easy update. Just remember not to do the *228 option 2 update, as that will reload the other PRL.

Noir 07-22-2009 08:45 AM

I was gonna say faster than a wm 6.5 rom??? I can't agree
speed I have issue with too...it loads very, very slow for me and often makes me want to go where is my opera 9.5!?

Dr.8820 07-22-2009 10:01 AM

i think it depends on the browser. i've got opera mini on my 8350i and it's faster than bb web but slower than opera 9.7 on my tp.

shaggylive 07-22-2009 10:04 AM

well, could be an antenna deal too.. I get better speeds if my phone is face down.
also both phones side by side essentially could be competing for the signal some, bb wins coz more $.

straylight 07-22-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabuk1 (Post 1051553)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BBs go through RIM's servers for email & web, right? So you won't get an accurate speed test result. I get 9 mbps(grossly inaccurate) when I test with Opera Mini, which also goes through remote servers, so don't feel so bad. Your phone is still better no matter what.

Kabuk1 is correct, pages on a BB are parsed and cached through their servers. It is a lot tougher to get an idea as to what the true speed is.

Maybe an accurate test would be to try using a 3rd party browser.

dbord_n 07-22-2009 01:02 PM

well on the blackberry there is also an option to change how the internet works and u can change it to show as pie, with this u can run the speed test and see the speed. i also tethered both to my laptop and was getting the same results of the bb having faster internet on the standard rev-o then my tp with rA.

profroopchan 07-22-2009 01:51 PM

On my sprint touch pro, I used to get speeds of 1.2-1.5MB/s down. I havent tested recently.

gprimr1 07-22-2009 11:34 PM

I had a Blackberry Curve before the Touch Pro. I can say without a doubt the Touch Pro smokes the Blackberry.

Blackberry data goes go through RIM's servers, in addition to everything else. I was so disappointed with it.

gimme5 07-22-2009 11:39 PM

Yeah, you can't get an accurate speed result on a blackberry, because everything is proxied. It's like when you run a test from Opera mini or Skyfire.

dbord_n 07-23-2009 12:27 AM

yeah but when its tethered it don't matter!!!

psycho_maniac 07-24-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbord_n (Post 1051492)
blackberry is faster!!!

who cares????? touch pros are cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbord_n 07-24-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1056854)
who cares????? touch pros are cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree, they are cooler but BB pick up data signal wayyy better!!! lol i finally got it all figured out it is just the tower or something is not what it used to be, i drove around town and did some speed tests and in some spots (the ones more close to out of town then in town) where faster then around my house. the fastets i was getting was 1.3 mbs. still not rA speeds but better then 300kbs what i get around my house!!!!