PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Discussion on the phone application crashing when ending the call too quickly.

The phone app on my TP essentially crashes and cannot be launched until a soft reset. This has happened to each of the 4 Touch Pros I've had, as well as in every ROM except the stock Sprint stuff. It happens 1-5x per day, and this is fantastic, I just figured out how to force a crash too

UPDATE:
As a quick update, disabling the Tachi dialer has put a stop to the crashes. I'm using the stock WM6.5 dialer, no liking it too much, but at least I get to use my phone.

It happens randomly when:
1. I try to save a contact from the call history (native WM call history)
2. Open Contacts
3. Add a contact to an SMS message
----- These all seem related to the Contacts thread, which just closes, kicks me to the home screen, and disables the phone.

Or I can make it crash by:
4. Dial any number and press "END CALL" before it connects (while "Dialing.." is displayed) - call goes through and I cannot hang up.

Symptoms of the crash include:
1. Inability to bring up phone app (both hardware and software)
2. Inability to receive calls - the phone still rings and flashes as normal!
3. Contacts works as normal
4. Different signal icon (screenshot below)

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?? It has become very frustrating to miss phone calls when I'm expecting important calls from people. I'm currently on a TP manufactured in March, Energy ROM (07/14 "Mercury" WM6.5), Sprint 1.11 radio.

(the phone is actually in a call right here, hence the 1x)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sshot000.JPG (33.4 KB, 15 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by quick99si; 09-27-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP
Re: Are you guys getting these crashes in the phone app [EVERY ROM/Radio!!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
The phone app on my TP essentially crashes and cannot be launched until a soft reset. This has happened to each of the 4 Touch Pros I've had, as well as in every ROM except the stock Sprint stuff. It happens 1-5x per day, and this is fantastic, I just figured out how to force a crash too

2. Open Contacts
----- These all seem related to the Contacts thread, which just closes, kicks me to the home screen, and disables the phone.

4. Dial any number and press "END CALL" before it connects (while "Dialing.." is displayed) - call goes through and I cannot hang up.

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?? It has become very frustrating to miss phone calls when I'm expecting important calls from people. I'm currently on a TP manufactured in March, Energy ROM (07/14 "Mercury" WM6.5), Sprint 1.11 radio.

hmm have you tried to update to a differnet rom because i dont have that problem you cant say all roms just to let you know
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

If you really want to figure it out, from a troubleshooting point of view.....the right/long way is to backup your contact....hardrest and start testing after each application is install.

It might $#@#$#@ but that is the true way in finding out your problem.

Good Luck
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - 6850

Gardoon is keeping up the good workGardoon is keeping up the good work

Quote:

2. Open Contacts

I strongly suspect a single corrupt contact or corrupt contact file. It's certainly something associated with your data since I haven't seen anyone else report such a thing. Maybe it happens to others and they don't say, but that's pretty rare around here. To see if your contacts/data are causing your problem:
- Do a Wipe Device
- Install all your cabs. Do not restore any personal data.
- Run that for a while. See if it happens again.
- If it does not happen again, I suggest printing out all your contacts, wiping them off your backup and manually re-creating them. Do NOT pull any data from the old ones (such as contact photos). If there are really things you want to keep, back them up - but wait a week or two before you restore those items.

If that doesn't help, follow Unknown Zone's advice - which will help you track down bum cabs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

Quote:

2. Open Contacts

(the phone is actually in a call right here, hence the 1x)
Something like this happened to me a couple months ago and has started again this week. My phone will be sluggish and then it wont let me open apps like contacts and then when I reboot the phone it will automatically clear storage. This was happening on all MR6 roms which I had to flash each. Finally I gave up, formatted sd card, flashed a diff radio, flashed MR5, relocked it, and only install apps as I need them and so far so good but it has only been about 12 hrs. I am not sure what causes this but I believe it is a certain app. Very annoying since you do miss calls/texts and have to spend time reinstalling everything (also seven keeps charging me international text fees).
Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung

mpham007 is a n00b

I have had the same exact issue! However, these are all custom ROMs that came with "at your own risk warning" from peeps who have put their hard effort and time to give us all something to play with.. Try a diffent ROM. I relate to the frustration but also, all of the CUSTOM ROMS have been free and optional to Donate for their skills. Make it a great day!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpham007 View Post
I have had the same exact issue! However, these are all custom ROMs that came with "at your own risk warning" from peeps who have put their hard effort and time to give us all something to play with.. Try a diffent ROM. I relate to the frustration but also, all of the CUSTOM ROMS have been free and optional to Donate for their skills. Make it a great day!
I did not intend to blame the custom roms or their creators, but rather to seek a solution to this weird bug.

As per Gardoon's suggestion, I looked into my contacts to see if there's anything strange that might be behind this. It looks like I tried to stuff too many numbers under 5 contacts by using Outlook to insert fields like home fax, work fax, pager or whatever fields are not supported by Windows Mobile.

I've since expanded these numbers over multiple contacts and have not experienced a crash in >10 days. It seems that this was the problem all along.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Re: Are you guys getting these crashes in the phone app [EVERY ROM/Radio!!] *SOLVED*

As a quick update, disabling the Tachi dialer has put a stop to the crashes. I'm using the stock WM6.5 dialer, no liking it too much, but at least I get to use my phone.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Cricket

Xx_xBLADEx_xX is a n00b
Re: Are you guys getting these crashes in the phone app [EVERY ROM/Radio!!] *SOLVED*

I get the same problem maybe once or twice a week where the phone seems to slow down/get sluggish, and then its almost like it freezes over, and I get the same Icon mentioned above. and it only happenes when dialing and messing with contacts. I wait for the phone to work out all the kinks most of the time, but there have been a few times I had to soft reset. I'll look into my contacts since i use PIMbackup to backup and restore my txts emails, and contacts. quick99si what do you mean by fields. My contacts just have there basic number, cell or home for some contacts or both along with other information. I like to format the number as such (555) 555-5555 under all my contacts. I've seen people just do 555 555-5555, or 5555555555 or not even the area code either. Could this be a reason for the freezes.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_xBLADEx_xX View Post
I get the same problem maybe once or twice a week where the phone seems to slow down/get sluggish, and then its almost like it freezes over, and I get the same Icon mentioned above. and it only happenes when dialing and messing with contacts. I wait for the phone to work out all the kinks most of the time, but there have been a few times I had to soft reset. I'll look into my contacts since i use PIMbackup to backup and restore my txts emails, and contacts. quick99si what do you mean by fields. My contacts just have there basic number, cell or home for some contacts or both along with other information. I like to format the number as such (555) 555-5555 under all my contacts. I've seen people just do 555 555-5555, or 5555555555 or not even the area code either. Could this be a reason for the freezes.
I use the same number format as you, though I do have a couple of numbers in my contacts which are obviously fake (eg +00000000000000) for caller id matching purposes.

By additional fields, I was referring to the extra number storage fields supported by Outlook but not by WM. If you try to save a contact on your phone, you might only see 8-10 different places to put it (mobile, home, fax, etc..) - but if you open that same contact in Outlook, you will see about 4-5 more where you can effectively "stuff" additional numbers to save on the total number of individual contacts. WM will use and recognize these numbers like normal.

That wasn't the problem after all, it all boiled down to the dialer. For me, the phone never got sluggish, it just worked one second and then closed itself the next. It happened MAINLY when I ended the call too quickly (95% chance of crash) OR try to save a new contact from the call history (25% chance of crash). Neither of these is acceptable to me so now I'm back on the WM6 stock dialer.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro