PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Hoping for a cure for water (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75484)

mustardsteve 07-21-2009 12:27 AM

Hoping for a cure for water

Hi folks.
I have doen a bit of searching for Touch Pros getting wet, but I haven't find a solution yet.
BASICALLY I spilled a half of can of coke on my Touch Pro last night and I woke up to it frozen on the screen I had left it when I went to bed.
I tried buttons and everything but wound up doing a soft-reset with the stylus.
I should have taken out the battery immediately and set everything to dry, I know, but I was in a bit of a panic I guess.
Anyway the phone shut off, then started booting again. Nothing ever appeared on the screen, but I did get the usual vibration when the phone turns on.
Now the backlight comes on when the battery is in. Hitting the power button turns it off for about a second, but then the backlight comes back on. I tried to do a hard-reset, but it wouldn't even let me into that scren.
I googled a bit and found someone had had luck by just putting their phone in a bag of rice and leaving it (to draw out the moisture). It sounded crazy but I tried it.
It didn't change anything, still doing the same thing. I left it for about 12 hours I guess. I'm going to put it in the bag again overnight but I'm not feeling too hopeful about this.

I'm really hoping I can solve this on my own somehow because I have a custom rom loaded on to it, and I can't afford a new phone. I'm on a 3 year contract with Bell :(
So if anybody knows either a solution to the problem, OR a way to somehow flash the ROM in its current state (though probably not possible), please let me know.

Thanks

apristel 07-21-2009 12:34 AM

Re: Hoping for a cure for water

You could disassemble it, clean the boards with rubbing alcohol, bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, reassemble and try it.

This prob sounds insane, but i did it to this laptop that i am typing this on..spilled jackncoke all over it. Works...google it.

mustardsteve 07-21-2009 12:45 AM

Hmm. I think I will try that but only if the guy at the store tomorrow believes me when I tell him that it's never been near water. OR if there's a way to open it without making it look like I just totally voided the warranty.

apristel 07-21-2009 12:47 AM

Theres a water indicator under the battery cover!

mustardsteve 07-21-2009 12:52 AM

But I've read on this site and others that it has gone off without contact with water. If I whine enough, who knows what he'll believe, eh?

gator352 07-21-2009 06:39 AM

Check the indicator under the cover, if it's smeared, your hosed...LOL..seriously, just tell them it started acting up. See what they say. It's really the only thing you can do.

I have spilled Jack-n-coke on many things. Luckily most of it went into my mouth everytime.