PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   User Customization Backup for Touch Pro using sashimi (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75214)

mkm1126 12-14-2009 11:54 PM

Re: User Customization Backup for Touch Pro using sashimi

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentjunk (Post 1405754)
I don't know how to make cabs, but you can easy use mortscript to reset the device. The command is simple enough: reset

so you could just make a text file called reset.mscr and in the file have 'reset' as the only text.

I am assuming you have mortscript installed on your phone.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I don't have mortscript installed, but will do that . . . the only reason I was thinking of cabbing it is because I can control the order the cabs install by labeling them 01ABC, 02XYZ, etc . . . not sure how to tell it to intall a cab, run mortscript to reset, install next cab, run mortscript to reset, etc. . .

studentjunk 12-15-2009 11:42 AM

Why not just install all the cabs and then reset at the end? Sashimi does that anyway.

Although what you could do is use mortscript and the startup folder. Write a script that installs first cab, puts a second script into startup items, and then removes itself from startup items. The second script installs second cab, puts next script there, and removes itself...

Off hand, I am not sure how to tell the script that the cab is completed. If you know how long it takes for the cabs to install, then you can use the sleep command to wait for the installation.

mkm1126 12-16-2009 01:42 AM

Hmmm, sounds like it might be just as well to not install these through Sashimi LOL! Thanks for the advice. If I can get it working, will post back.

Cheers,
MKM1126

studentjunk 12-16-2009 11:28 AM

I agree. Sashimi is designed for one long installation without restarts.

However, now that I think about it, it does have a feature that picks up the installation where it left off. But that requires user interaction to resume I think.

What are you trying to install that requires reboots after every cab? I think I read something like this for manilla. Have you tried just installing all the cabs and then resetting? It's worth a try I think.

nhvoltagenh 12-16-2009 01:55 PM

most anything that asks you for a reset does this because it has either added something to the registry, or added a file into the windows folder

most cases.

for example, i have a program that after you install the cab it asks you to reset. it does this merely because it copies one file into the windows folder.

but a reset is not required for my program to work. the phone simply tells you its needed.

when i run sashimi i have about 8 things that say need to reboot, i say no.

but of course when sashimi is complete i do a reset so all registry entries are properly read.

on a side note.

i have made a program to help simplify some backup items for sashimi

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582421

mkm1126 12-16-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentjunk (Post 1417424)
I agree. Sashimi is designed for one long installation without restarts.

However, now that I think about it, it does have a feature that picks up the installation where it left off. But that requires user interaction to resume I think.

What are you trying to install that requires reboots after every cab? I think I read something like this for manilla. Have you tried just installing all the cabs and then resetting? It's worth a try I think.

I was trying to automate the MMS dance you have to do to get that working . . . . remove, reset, install arc, reset . . . will try doing it without the reset, see how it handles it.

mkm1126 12-16-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhvoltagenh (Post 1417782)
on a side note.

i have made a program to help simplify some backup items for sashimi

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582421

Thanks! What does it do for restoring Garmin? Currently, I don't even have Garmin in Sashimi. After I flash and get everything installed, I take out my SD card and re-insert it. When I do this, it asks if I want to intall Garmin . . . that's it. All my settings from previous installs are still intact. But maybe I'm missing something . . . I haven't used Garmin a lot since flashing, other then to check that the GPS was working and it found the maps . . . but maybe something is missing.

nhvoltagenh 12-16-2009 06:06 PM

ok, in garmin you never have to reinstall it again.

let me explain.

the folder 2577 can be deleted.
all it does is auto run garmin when your sd card is installed.

however, on your sd card..
under Storage Card\Garmin\Apps\WM\
is a file called QuePPC.exe

now when you run this file on a new phone or after a hard reset, it will make a Garmin folder on your Main Memory and add the program there.
and in this folder is all your settings, waypoints, map zooms etc etc....

however, if this folder already exists, it will simply run the program.

So i have my shortcuts set to run that file.

Now what my program does is backs up all your waypoints, recent places, and settings.

So that after a hard reset or flash, you can immediatly use garmin and go to your stored locations.

I did this because i was about 4 hours away from my home.
and for some reason my phone froze up.

So i had to pull to the side, do a hard reset.

then run garmin, and re set it all up.. Audio Prompts, Map zooms, voices, all the BS it asks for

but now if this happens again i could simply hard reset, and run sashimi, or if in a real hurry run SkinZone.org Backup and restore my garmin and i dont have to mess with anything.

as well, i have about 200 waypoints stored in this.

Now i do have it backed up on my PC with Map Source,
but as well its backed up on my SD card.

mkm1126 12-16-2009 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=nhvoltagenh;1418511]
but now if this happens again i could simply hard reset, and run sashimi, or if in a real hurry run SkinZone.org Backup and restore my garmin and i dont have to mess with anything.
/QUOTE]

Very cool! Thanks for the explanation. I was just about to ask if you have a version for just Garmin as that's all I really need, but then read a bit further on your thread over at XDA and see that you have included an option to choose what to backup. Nice.

One quick question . . . keep in mind I'm still a bit of a nooB at this, but how to I tell if the ROM I'm using includes Mortscript already? I understand we have to have that installed for this to work? If so, did you just set up Sashimi to install that first somehow?

EDIT: Ok, I read about needing Mortscript in your "This was my inspiration section" of your first post . . . maybe that's not applicable with what you've developed?

nhvoltagenh 12-17-2009 01:23 AM

u have to have some version of mortscript installed.

all mortscript does is allow programs like mine to run.

simply grab it, and install it.

no other settings are needed with mortscript.

sashimi also uses mortscript, however i cant confirm it installs it for use on the phone, or simply runs it for its purposes only.

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...=view&entry=65
Mortscript. It doesnt matter the version, as my program will check to ensure its correct and if its not it will install the correct.
its free and is a tiny app.

but again all you do with it is install it. nothing more.

then install my program.