PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Windows 6.5 and GPS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75169)

Larry Laffer 07-17-2009 10:05 PM

Windows 6.5 and GPS

Hi all...
Pretty new here but I have been playing "phone" for a while. I was wondering if Windows 6.5 does not support the internal GPS. We have two TP's here, 1 with the stock ROM running WinMobile 6.1 (#1) and 1 with Winmobile 6.5 with a non-stock ROM (#2). Phone #1 has a great GPS program and works fine but it appears that phone #2 with Winmobile 6.5 and a non-stock EOM has no built in GPS program.
So, my question is... Is this "problem" caused by the ROM or the version of Winmobile??

Thanks all,
Larry ](*,)

askwhy 07-17-2009 10:20 PM

Re: Windows 6.5 and GPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Laffer (Post 1043071)
Hi all...
Pretty new here but I have been playing "phone" for a while. I was wondering if Windows 6.5 does not support the internal GPS. We have two TP's here, 1 with the stock ROM running WinMobile 6.1 (#1) and 1 with Winmobile 6.5 with a non-stock ROM (#2). Phone #1 has a great GPS program and works fine but it appears that phone #2 with Winmobile 6.5 and a non-stock EOM has no built in GPS program.
So, my question is... Is this "problem" caused by the ROM or the version of Winmobile??

Thanks all,
Larry ](*,)

There is nothing about WM6.5 itself to hinder an internal GPS. Most of the ROMs on the board here that I have looked at assume that you want to use it and provide either programs for that cooked-in or some discussion and links about why they didn't and where to find suitable software.

Which software in particular did you have in mind when you say 'no built in gps program' -- and which ROM are you running? Google Maps can be added free, as can Amaze, and there are a variety of tools by HTC and others for helping find satellites and diagnose problems.

Oh, and on an entirely separate note -- Larry, sorry about that time on that life raft after that whole 'cruise ship' incident where learned the hard way that the sun can burn the heck out of a balding middle aged man in a leisure suit if you doesn't cover that noggin...no hard feelings right?

Larry Laffer 07-17-2009 10:44 PM

Ah HAAAA... so it was YOU!!!... After all these years...slowly I turn, step by... oops, wrong show..LOL..
Well, I tried Mighty ROM 6, then the new Juicy ROM eith and now I have EnergyROM standard on board. I do see that I am picking up satellites but no mapping software. So, maybe I am missing something here (SURPRISE!!). I just need to install one of the programs that you have mentioned and I should have a functional GPS phone unit??

Thanks... And don't let it happen again!!!

LSL

Quote:

Originally Posted by askwhy (Post 1043096)
There is nothing about WM6.5 itself to hinder an internal GPS. Most of the ROMs on the board here that I have looked at assume that you want to use it and provide either programs for that cooked-in or some discussion and links about why they didn't and where to find suitable software.

Which software in particular did you have in mind when you say 'no built in gps program' -- and which ROM are you running? Google Maps can be added free, as can Amaze, and there are a variety of tools by HTC and others for helping find satellites and diagnose problems.

Oh, and on an entirely separate note -- Larry, sorry about that time on that life raft after that whole 'cruise ship' incident where learned the hard way that the sun can burn the heck out of a balding middle aged man in a leisure suit if you doesn't cover that noggin...no hard feelings right?

Larry Laffer 07-17-2009 10:51 PM

Just as an aside... believe it or not... My only sister lives in Fort Collins.

Strange!

askwhy 07-17-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Laffer (Post 1043133)
...now I have EnergyROM standard on board. I do see that I am picking up satellites but no mapping software...I just need to install one of the programs that you have mentioned and I should have a functional GPS phone unit??

LSL

If you are running EnergyROM Standard you should already have Google Maps under Start > GPS > Google Maps -- and you can enable GPS within that program on the right softkey menu (may have to finger-scroll down to see the option). AmazeGPS is pretty solid, and will speak directions like many popular standalone GPS units. You can download either directly to your phone from the links provided. Good Luck.

Larry Laffer 07-18-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askwhy (Post 1043172)
If you are running EnergyROM Standard you should already have Google Maps under Start > GPS > Google Maps -- and you can enable GPS within that program on the right softkey menu (may have to finger-scroll down to see the option). AmazeGPS is pretty solid, and will speak directions like many popular standalone GPS units. You can download either directly to your phone from the links provided. Good Luck.

Unfortunately Google maps is not there so I will try to get it or amazegps on board.

askwhy 07-18-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Laffer (Post 1043579)
Unfortunately Google maps is not there so I will try to get it or amazegps on board.

OK, that's odd -- any recent EnergyROM Standard should have it -- did you let the customizations run after flashing? Wait...don't answer that...yet...

Since you are running EnergyROM and this particular forum is really just for ROM threads, if you have any more questions or feedback let's take this discussion over here, to the current EnergyROM thread. When you get there, maybe you could let us know which build you are running, and also what do you see under Start > GPS ?

zachspda 07-18-2009 10:27 AM

It is my guess that it is the latest roms using the new drivers that came with 21921 os. Most of the roms made before the cooks started using the gps drivers from this work just fine. It may just be a new reg edit needed to work properly, not sure I have not taken the time to figure it out.