PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Spring

dinanm3atl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint HTC Touch Pro - Unlimited Data Plan

I am on a family unlimited data plan. Wife has a basic flip phone, I have HTC Touch Pro and friend who is on my plan has my old WM5 phone. I and friend use the data. Wife does not.

I chatted with sprint this afternoon and apparently unlimited data does not mean I can use my phone as a 'net' source for my laptop. I would have to cancel my unlimited data and add on a 45 dollar service to do this? I asked for clarification and was told that unlimited data plans are for phones only... I have to drop that service and add on the other 'phone as modem' service.

Is this chat rep correct? Unlimited data on the phone or on my laptop seems like the same data. I browse a forum on my phone or I browse it on my laptop through my phones data connection. What gives? Any way around this?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouCh PrO
Carrier: Sprint

whiteguy025 is just getting started
Re: Sprint HTC Touch Pro - Unlimited Data Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I am on a family unlimited data plan. Wife has a basic flip phone, I have HTC Touch Pro and friend who is on my plan has my old WM5 phone. I and friend use the data. Wife does not.

I chatted with sprint this afternoon and apparently unlimited data does not mean I can use my phone as a 'net' source for my laptop. I would have to cancel my unlimited data and add on a 45 dollar service to do this? I asked for clarification and was told that unlimited data plans are for phones only... I have to drop that service and add on the other 'phone as modem' service.

Is this chat rep correct? Unlimited data on the phone or on my laptop seems like the same data. I browse a forum on my phone or I browse it on my laptop through my phones data connection. What gives? Any way around this?
Search for ics internet sharing in the search engine... U will find ur solution there
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I believe Phone as Modem comes as an addon option as well, for 15$ a month. However there are many people here who use tethering options without paying said fee. WMWifiRouter and PDAnet are a few. Custom ROMs also have ICS installed already that allow for you to tether your phone to your computer.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dinanm3atl is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I believe Phone as Modem comes as an addon option as well, for 15$ a month. However there are many people here who use tethering options without paying said fee. WMWifiRouter and PDAnet are a few. Custom ROMs also have ICS installed already that allow for you to tether your phone to your computer.
Thanks guys.

Do you know if the latest July 14th MightRom has something like that installed?

Found it. "Internet Sharing". Run that, connect USB/BT and use DATA and I am off and running?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouCh PrO

whiteguy025 is just getting started

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Ya pretty much every rom out now has that built-in... ur good to go buddy...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dinanm3atl is a n00b

This is a great forum! Better than bimmerforums trying to find help on my BMWs

hehe

Where is the rep button. Or since I have so low post I can't do that yet?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Found it. "Internet Sharing". Run that, connect USB/BT and use DATA and I am off and running?
Exactly, you have to make sure that your phone is connected via Activesync and not memory card mode. Also there's a thing called USB2PC that lets you choose between 3 options every time you connect your phone to your PC (activesync, card reader, ICS). If you select ICS it automatically starts ICS and connects. Easy breezy. If it's the first time you're tethering you might have to wait a whole 30 seconds for the drivers to install.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dinanm3atl is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Exactly, you have to make sure that your phone is connected via Activesync and not memory card mode. Also there's a thing called USB2PC that lets you choose between 3 options every time you connect your phone to your PC (activesync, card reader, ICS). If you select ICS it automatically starts ICS and connects. Easy breezy. If it's the first time you're tethering you might have to wait a whole 30 seconds for the drivers to install.
Excellent.

So I would need to:

1. Install ActiveSync on Laptop(I use desktop normally)
2. Install USB2PC(Phone Ap? DL?)
3. Choose ICS

Sounds great!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Excellent.

So I would need to:

1. Install ActiveSync on Laptop(I use desktop normally)
2. Install USB2PC(Phone Ap? DL?)
3. Choose ICS

Sounds great!
I'm actually not 100% sure if you need Activesync. It's actually quite possible that the drivers that are installed works without Activesync. I only mentioned that as if you connect your phone in disk drive mode, ICS doesn't work. I had assumed you already had Activesync installed so that was the only other option, hahah. These custom ROMs make things so easy that it'd be pretty self explanatory once you get it going yourself.

USB2PC is located in Settings > Connections. I set it to "Ask me first about USB connection type when I connect the device to the PC" so it always pops up that multiple choice menu. Since I use all 3 modes constantly I don't want to switch between all of them, so this is the simplest choice for me. If you never use Disk Drive mode, you can disregard USB2PC and just start up ICS yourself anytime you connect to your computer and want to tether.

Rep in ppcgeeks is called "Thanks" which is the green button on the lower right corner of each post. From what I understand there isn't a post count requirement for thanks.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 07-16-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dinanm3atl is a n00b

Word.

Thanks given to you two guys(Or gals if that is the case)!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro