PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Question regarding Inbox subfolders (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75008)

Vlip3 07-16-2009 05:18 PM

Question regarding Inbox subfolders

This is not really an issue but rather a question. I've noticed this with ALL ROMS I've flashed (including stock) so I don't think it has anything to do with the ROM but maybe one of you gurus can explain it to me.
I have gmail and I've created filters with labels so I can more quickly access my e-mail messages. On my TP, when I select the e-mail tab (TF3D) and press the Inbox button, I get a list of all my messages that are in my inbox. If I touch the drop-down arrow next to "Inbox" at the top left, I get a list of subfolders with names that correspond to the gmail filters but they are all empty. All my messages always wind up in my Inbox folder.
The question is, if these folders are created by Outlook mobile, why doesn't it put the messages into these folders and if it isn't going to put the messages into these folders, why bother creating them.

Thanks!
Vlip3

bkurek 07-16-2009 06:28 PM

Re: Question regarding Inbox subfolders

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlip3 (Post 1040111)
This is not really an issue but rather a question. I've noticed this with ALL ROMS I've flashed (including stock) so I don't think it has anything to do with the ROM but maybe one of you gurus can explain it to me.
I have gmail and I've created filters with labels so I can more quickly access my e-mail messages. On my TP, when I select the e-mail tab (TF3D) and press the Inbox button, I get a list of all my messages that are in my inbox. If I touch the drop-down arrow next to "Inbox" at the top left, I get a list of subfolders with names that correspond to the gmail filters but they are all empty. All my messages always wind up in my Inbox folder.
The question is, if these folders are created by Outlook mobile, why doesn't it put the messages into these folders and if it isn't going to put the messages into these folders, why bother creating them.

Thanks!
Vlip3

simple answer is that gmail uses "labels" which best translate to "folders" in outlook. you are using imap yes? make sure you tools, manage folders and select the additional folders you want to synch. this will get ugly though. hard to explain but you'll see it after a few emails.

when it comes down to it gmail and outlook don't play well and tht is by design courtesy of google.

Vlip3 07-17-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkurek (Post 1040292)
simple answer is that gmail uses "labels" which best translate to "folders" in outlook. you are using imap yes? make sure you tools, manage folders and select the additional folders you want to synch. this will get ugly though. hard to explain but you'll see it after a few emails.

when it comes down to it gmail and outlook don't play well and tht is by design courtesy of google.

I believe I'm using imap, not too sure though. I set up new account in the e-mail tab (in TF3D) and check e-mail on my phone over cellular data connection. I do however also sync to my work computer that has outlook but do not sync my work e-mail; only contacts, appointments, notes & favorites. My company will not allow me to access their exchange servers to configure my phone to receive my company e-mail and I figured there was no point in syncing with a cable.
I tried what you suggested with tools->manage folders. I'll see what you mean about ugly and post back.
Thanks for your help. I hit the Help button for you.

Vlip3

CozBoogie 07-17-2009 12:15 PM

Moved to the general Touch Pro forum.

late,
Coz

Vlip3 07-20-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlip3 (Post 1041507)
I believe I'm using imap, not too sure though. I set up new account in the e-mail tab (in TF3D) and check e-mail on my phone over cellular data connection. I do however also sync to my work computer that has outlook but do not sync my work e-mail; only contacts, appointments, notes & favorites. My company will not allow me to access their exchange servers to configure my phone to receive my company e-mail and I figured there was no point in syncing with a cable.
I tried what you suggested with tools->manage folders. I'll see what you mean about ugly and post back.
Thanks for your help. I hit the Help button for you.

Vlip3

Man I don't know what you mean by ugly! I think it's great! If I go to Inbox, I see all my e-mail, if I select a folder from the drop-down on the top left, I see only those e-mails that were filtered by gmail. So for example, I've created a filter in gmail with a label for e-mail from ppcgeeks. On my TP, I select the ppcgeeks folder from the drop-down and I see only those e-mails. I am very happy with this arrangement.

Thanks again!
Vlip3