PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

pegs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Newb with lots of questions

I have a HTC TP sprint phone.

I have been researching/searching the forums for this information.... Its not that I couldn't find threads. Its just that I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

There is a ton of great information on this site but I'm just not comfortable trying to use any of the many roms and programs for fear of screwing up my phone.

I have already dl'ed and installed a couple different programs that went ok.

Today I'm trying to upgrade the "key lock" on my HTC TP. I hate the way it is now...no telling what the heck its doing most of the time. Anyway thats what brings me here today.

I tried to install a zip file on my phone, but couldn't get it to install. Tried putting the zip file in programs on the phone and open it from there....didn't work.. Tried creating and opening a file on my computer and moving the file to "programs" on my phone.... that didn't work either.

Basically these are the issues I'd like to fix.
The volume isn't loud enough..... I already wear hearing aides.

The "hold end until the phone locks" feature really sucks. When the phone is locked the screen goes dim. So when I try to unlock the phone I can't see where the unlock "buttons" are. If I'm out in the sunlight....forget it... I would need a brail screen to use it.

Also I'm curious about the many roms that are out there. Is there anyway to tell which ones work the best and what they all do? And how reliable are they.. Seems like this forum and some of the people who write these have been around awhile. I'm guessing they probably have this figured out.

If you help me out. I will hit the THX button
Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iphone
Carrier: AT&T

drift365 is keeping up the good workdrift365 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to drift365
Re: Newb with lots of questions

To lock/unlock your phone I would suggest using S2U2. It is free and can be found here: http://freewareppc.com/utilities/s2u2.shtml

After you unzip the folder what kind of files are in it? if it is a ".cab" file, place it anywhere on the device and run it and it should install. If it is a ".exe" file, than you need to plug in your phone, run active sync, and run the .exe

You can try here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=450623
to increase your volume.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, just search first.

Cheers,

Matt
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pegs is a n00b

When I unzipped the file in a folder ON my phone there was a cab file, but when I clicked on it...... I got an error message....something about not being the right kind of file....

The exe files I just do from the computer? and they will install to my phone? Do they need to be located in my "phone" folder on my computer or can I install from anywhere as long as I'm synced?

If seen references to the S2U2..... what does that do? I tried installing the touchprolock, but my phone got a little buggy and I still have to be able to read the screen to unlock. I don't have any problem locking the phone.....Its unlocking that is so problematic.

What about the styluslock.... thats the one I was trying when I went in the ditch trying to open it.

Also I had already DL'ed the "audiopara file".... the zip file for it.
Then with my phone synced dragged and dropped the zip file to my phones "programs folder".... but when I left click there isn't an option for unzipping the file. and if I double click I just get a properties screen.....

What is it I'm doing wrong?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Let the EVO-lution Begin!!
Carrier: Sprint

southphillysean knows their stuffsouthphillysean knows their stuffsouthphillysean knows their stuffsouthphillysean knows their stuffsouthphillysean knows their stuffsouthphillysean knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to southphillysean Send a message via Yahoo to southphillysean

Is your phone unlocked? have you flashed (installed) a rom?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iphone
Carrier: AT&T

drift365 is keeping up the good workdrift365 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to drift365

This is a screen shot of S2U2. It locks just like an iphone. you slide that little bar to the right with your finger and it will unlock your phone. It will automatically lock the phone when the screen turns off.
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]http://freewareppc.com/images/products/utilities/s2u2.gif

You shouldnt get that error message. What program is it? I will see if I can reproduce the message.

I dont know what you are doing wrong with "audiopara." try unzipping on your computer first.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pegs is a n00b

Not sure what "unlocking and flashing is". I thought from the previous threads I've read that "unlocking" was associated with using one carriers phone for a different carrier. So if I have a sprint HTC TP and I'm using spint. Do I still need to unlock my phone and if so why?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I personally use PocketShield to lock my phone screen. It has the added benefit of unlocking automatically when the phone detects light, so it becomes pretty unobtrusive, yet prevents the infamous butt dialing syndrome.

If you ever want to get into flashing your own ROMs you can look at this wonderful thread.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69854

I use MightyMike's MightyROM 6 which incorporates the new WM6.5 platform. Almost any custom ROM you choose will be better than the stock one. It's up to you to choose which suits you best. I chose MR6 because it had the most users. It must be good if that many people use it, haha.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 07-16-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (but i pay for sprint)

drizzo91 is a n00b

as for the .zip not being able to install-
it could be a .cab file in disguise. try changing the .zip extension to .cab (from your computer just right click and rename. be sure that file extensions are not hidden).
then copy the .cab to the phone and try to run it

~D
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I personally use PocketShield to lock my phone screen.
I do too.

PS is not free, but it's by far the best locking program available IMHO.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro