PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

jpc0480 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alltel Touch Pro vs. the Verizon Samsung Omnia?

Hope I put this in the right spot...

Alltel as you know merged with Verizon. Today I gave my carrier a call and was shocked to hear that I could upgrade to any phone free of charge. Now I'm thinking of going to the Omnia, but wanted to see if there was anyone on here who had any insight... Didn't know if one has switched between the both? I have flashed my TP and just don't feel satisfied... Haven't felt good about my phone since the 6800. I am tired of the keyboard lag, the slow response I get from the TP, but wanted to stick with WM. Any thoughts?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Re: Alltel Touch Pro vs. the Verizon Samsung Omnia?

Anything??
Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TechButterfly is just getting started

The Omnia is a sweet device but you might want to wait since Omnia II and Omnia Pro (with physical keyboard) are coming out soon and they are sick! The Touch Pro 2 is also coming out later this year too.

If you can't wait, I suggest checking out the Omnia forum here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Yeah... Basically what it boiled down to, was Verizon was giving me the phone for free. The Storm was my other choice and I really don't want BS berry.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

+1 on the Omnia pro, that would make me want to leave sprint!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TechButterfly is just getting started

For a free device, I'd go with the Omnia then. I left Verizon after a million years to go to Sprint for its Touch Pro. My brother left Sprint to go to Verizon for the Omnia. He has no complaints. He says it's fast and he can tweak out his Omnia just as much as I can my Pro. Give the Omnia a test run. You can always return it...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: PPC6800, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

gary76usmc is a n00b

Wait a minute, they are gonna let you choose any device for FREE???? Wow, now that is customer service!!!! Thanks for the information.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW Imagio/ Alltel Touch Pro/ VZW Omnia i910

bam0112 is keeping up the good workbam0112 is keeping up the good workbam0112 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc0480 View Post
Hope I put this in the right spot...

Alltel as you know merged with Verizon. Today I gave my carrier a call and was shocked to hear that I could upgrade to any phone free of charge. Now I'm thinking of going to the Omnia, but wanted to see if there was anyone on here who had any insight... Didn't know if one has switched between the both? I have flashed my TP and just don't feel satisfied... Haven't felt good about my phone since the 6800. I am tired of the keyboard lag, the slow response I get from the TP, but wanted to stick with WM. Any thoughts?
I really suggest you go into a Verizon store & try out the Omnia to compare it to your touch pro. I have both. I loved my Omnia (bought it in Nov when they first came out), but when I moved to Texas a few months back, I had no Verizon service, was roaming on Alltel towers. Would have had to drive 60 miles to do a *228 to reprogram my Omnia if I did a hard reset.

So I switched to Alltel & got a Touch Pro, fully expecting to switch back to my Omnia once the Verizon/Alltel merger happened. In the mean time I flashed/hacked/tweaked my touch pro into the same all-in-one daily gadget I had tweaked my Omnia into.

So now that the merger has happened I just spent the evening flashing/tweaking my Omnia fully prepared to put the ESN into the Verizon site and switch back to it. But I'm holding off...After a couple of hours of using it as a PDA w/wifi I'm finding it not as "touch responsive" as my Touch Pro. I'm also noticing that while the Omnia screen is larger (WQVGA), the sharpness of the Touch Pro's VGA screen is much nicer. Plus no physical keyboard on the Omnia has frustrated me at times...The TP made life much easier on me in that department. Also, I haven't noticed a difference in the 5.0mp pics from the Omnia or the 3.2mp pics from the TP. Both are comparable. Great in direct sunlight...need to tweak settings indoors/darker settings. Both take "decent" pics with tweaks.

But common sense tells me that the Omnia did everything that the touch pro does for me now (except GPS which is now fixed with the leaked ROM that came out the day I bought my touch pro) & I just have to learn the Omnia's quirks again. I could throw my 8gig microsd card into my Omnia to give me 16gig total storage & get the Mugen extended battery (would make the Omnia the same size as the TP with much better battery life). The mugen extended battery for the TP makes it way to thick for my taste.

Basically...I'm torn...Both are sitting in front of me right now with Winmo 6.5 flashed onto them...You might see me in a couple of days switched back to my Omnia, but for right now I'm sticking with my TP. I have no interest in switching to the TP2 (not enough of an upgrade), but the Omnia Pro looks like an option when it's released. If you can get a free upgrade to an Omnia & keep your TP go for it. Try them both out & see what you like better.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much here. Just wanted to give you an honest opinion from someone who has been fortunate enough to use both for an extended time....well fortunate might be too strong of a word, because it was hell to break my contract with Verizon without the early termination fee because of no service in my area. Found it ironic that after finally getting all that straight the merger happened a month later....
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

i have a verizon tp and my girl has an omnia. frankly speaking her phone irritates me to no end mainly because of the lack of a hard keyboard. i really really dislike it, but she loves it! she has had many smartphones before and says its by far the best shes ever had.

like suggested above head out to the verizon store and play with the omnia and see how you like it. depending on how long theyll honor your free phone i would wait to see how things shake out with the omnia 2/onmia pro/touch pro 2
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary76usmc View Post
Wait a minute, they are gonna let you choose any device for FREE???? Wow, now that is customer service!!!! Thanks for the information.
Thats what I said! They gave me 2! I had my TP and girlfriend had an LG Scoop(POS!). I told them I was going to AT&T and they said, hold on a minute... She came back on the line and said that we'll send you 2 phones of your choice! What an awesome experience...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro