PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NFSFAN ROM Question - not sure if this is allowed (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74773)

GatorsUF 07-14-2009 05:18 PM

NFSFAN ROM Question - not sure if this is allowed

I am not sure if asking about NFSFAN roms is allowed here or not. I understand the reason he isn't allowed here and it makes total sense. However he makes good ROMs and so I am willing to partake.

I had his build 106 installed and it was the first time my GPS actually worked in my hometown. I read the changelog for build 108 before I installed it, afterwards my GPS no longer worked in my area.

Both builds I installed the Alltel Provisioning Cab and a GPS Registry cab for Alltel that I found in another location a while back.

strra 07-14-2009 05:24 PM

Re: NFSFAN ROM Question - not sure if this is allowed

hmm i haven't been having this problem.... i get locks just as fast on 0108 as i did on 0106
have you tried a hard reset? (lame, i know, but i guess it can't hurt)

echomatics 07-14-2009 05:37 PM

Did you go in and open your GPS port?

CozBoogie 07-14-2009 05:44 PM

Check out this thread.

late,
Coz

x10guy 07-14-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozboogie (Post 1035506)
Check out this thread.

late,
Coz

What thread?

Sporkman 07-14-2009 06:09 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

this go's here

strra 07-14-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozboogie (Post 1035506)
Check out this thread.

late,
Coz

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1035542)
What thread?

Ooops... I see the link but it's to a cycling website. What does cycling have to do with NFSfan's ROM?

i see no link lol :)

CozBoogie 07-14-2009 07:19 PM

My bad:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ghlight=nfsfan

late,
Coz

codybear 07-14-2009 10:54 PM

1, you posted in upgrades, it goes in the regular touch pro section,
and 2, it would have been better at the link that coz posted.
But anyways,
now that I got that out of the way....

Did you turn it on??
Start>settings>personal>phone
click services tab,
highlight location settings, click get settings,
switch to on and press ok.

edufur 07-14-2009 11:06 PM

3. his roms arent all that great. the roms here are better in my opinion. i would suggest that if / when anyone has a problem with his rom, they go post it on his thread on XDA. but if you want a better rom, use one of the ones from this site.

strra 07-14-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edufur (Post 1036107)
3. his roms arent all that great. the roms here are better in my opinion. i would suggest that if / when anyone has a problem with his rom, they go post it on his thread on XDA. but if you want a better rom, use one of the ones from this site.

i guess to each their own. personally, i've gone from flashing at least once a day to only flashing when nfsfan releases a new build... perfectly happy with this rom

spivey8 07-14-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strra (Post 1036125)
i guess to each their own. personally, i've gone from flashing at least once a day to only flashing when nfsfan releases a new build... perfectly happy with this rom

+1 to many problems with the other roms, but thats just me :mrgreen:

horndoctor 07-14-2009 11:29 PM

Bad Geek!
Go To Your Room!

edufur 07-14-2009 11:34 PM

hmmm... i dont have problems with Calkulin's kitchen. Since 815, all his releases have been solid. Not only have I not had to rebuild, I went from having to reset daily with all the other roms (NFS included) to hardly needing it weekly. I have only soft reset ONCE in my last Cal build and it wasnt even necessary. I did it for the heck of it.

CozBoogie 07-15-2009 11:53 AM

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

brushrop03 07-15-2009 12:38 PM

I tried this new ROM yesterday and it was far from being better than the Rhodium ROMs we have here at ppcgeeks. Not a fan of Rhodium but both Psyki and Silence both have pretty good Rhodiums that are better than this. I hear Merdin's is great too but I haven't tried it

jmorton10 07-15-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brushrop03 (Post 1037046)
I tried this new ROM yesterday and it was far from being better than the Rhodium ROMs we have here at ppcgeeks. Not a fan of Rhodium but both Psyki and Silence both have pretty good Rhodiums that are better than this. I hear Merdin's is great too but I haven't tried it

I have three Sprint TP's activated on verizon.

My everyday phone is running merdin's 6.5 (not the one he just posted, the previous one) & it is a fantastic ROM IMHO. I love Rhodium & run his red theme (with a different clock)

In my BU TP, I recently installed NFSFAN's ROM because I read so much about it but had never tried it.

I have been A/B'ing the two system for a week or so. Both are very smooth & fast & I could certainly be happy with either one, but I will be leaving my everyday system on merdin's setup.

I have found some bugs in the NFS setup (nothing that's a deal killer) that are not present in merdin's.

The one & only real advantage I found with NFS is Need For Speed g-sen runs perfectly with it with no tweaks at all, & I can't get that to run at all in the merdin setup. That is no big deal to me as I have the game in my ipod touch & for some reason the gameplay is 100 times better in the ipod version & the bigger screen is nice for gameplay (it certainly LOOKS better in the TP VGA screen however)

~John

Darkjedi 07-15-2009 03:56 PM

I must have missed the memo, but why is NFSFAN not allowed on this forum?

sfreier 07-15-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 1037541)

He is not allowed because he stole some coding form NoChem and tried to pass it off as his own work.

Now i don't condone stealing other work but i must say this is the most stable ROM that I have used. I hate these ROMS that are loaded with crap so I tried and turned away Mighty and others. I found and have been using Juicy with great success, however he is no longer going to update. That in mind I recently switched to NSF ROM and it is the best I have used, very light weight and stable. Every app i have installed has worked flawless including Pandora and Need for Speed which i have never got to work on anyone elses rom. Try it out - it may be perfect for your needs too!

codybear 07-15-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brushrop03 (Post 1037046)

Nfsfan's rom gets better as you use it more.
when you first load Rhodium, its buggy,
and slow, as with all rhodium roms that don't have it preload the touch flow. But it keeps getting quicker and quicker as I use it.
Also, if you use a "freeram" or whatever its called or any program like that,
you will get crappy usage from rhodium, or touchflo in general as it's loaded into the ram.
Meaning you're erasing the cache, so each time you click a new tab in touchflo, it has to recache it after the freeram program was ran.
I've noticed some people have used that program,
and then blame it on the rom instead of what they did.
I AM NOT saying that's what you did,
but just stating some of the reasons why it could have been so buggy for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1037531)
I have three Sprint TP's activated on verizon.

My everyday phone is running merdin's 6.5 (not the one he just posted, the previous one) & it is a fantastic ROM IMHO. I love Rhodium & run his red theme (with a different clock)

In my BU TP, I recently installed NFSFAN's ROM because I read so much about it but had never tried it.

I have been A/B'ing the two system for a week or so. Both are very smooth & fast & I could certainly be happy with either one, but I will be leaving my everyday system on merdin's setup.

I have found some bugs in the NFS setup (nothing that's a deal killer) that are not present in merdin's.

The one & only real advantage I found with NFS is Need For Speed g-sen runs perfectly with it with no tweaks at all, & I can't get that to run at all in the merdin setup. That is no big deal to me as I have the game in my ipod touch & for some reason the gameplay is 100 times better in the ipod version & the bigger screen is nice for gameplay (it certainly LOOKS better in the TP VGA screen however)

~John

haha, I've notices a few bugs with nfsfan's roms,
but that's what happens.
he starts out modding some dll's, drivers, etc,
and then because of that, he has to mod a few more,
and so on,
and so on.
so it's constantly getting better and better!
Look at his vogue rom for example.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 1037541)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfreier (Post 1037693)
He is not allowed because he stole some coding form NoChem and tried to pass it off as his own work.

Now i don't condone stealing other work but i must say this is the most stable ROM that I have used. I hate these ROMS that are loaded with crap so I tried and turned away Mighty and others. I found and have been using Juicy with great success, however he is no longer going to update. That in mind I recently switched to NSF ROM and it is the best I have used, very light weight and stable. Every app i have installed has worked flawless including Pandora and Need for Speed which i have never got to work on anyone elses rom. Try it out - it may be perfect for your needs too!

LOL!
He used the USBtoPC program and tweaked it to run better with his rom, and didn't put the thanks to no2chem for the program. or whatever the heck he wanted.
But if you really want more info,
I have a huuuuuuge post about this in the other nfsfan's TP 6.5 rom,
it lists some more interesting facts. check it out....

DarkLord 07-15-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edufur (Post 1036107)

dude. i have tried all the roms by all the cooks (and yes, including Mighty Rom and many of the other "big names" here), and frankly, your opinion tells me you probably haven't tried that many roms. i have had less problems with his rom with any on this site. i have been very very loyal to the cooks on this site but frankly, when i couldn't find any 6.5 rom that would run pandora with zero problems or NFS Undercover, i went searching elsewhere. and what i found was NFSFAN's 105 rom. i loaded the programs i mentioned and with none of the so called tweaks that "must" be installed to get them to run, they ran. i was in shock.

so. instead of posting in a thread that you obviously aren't interested in and only want to start trouble, you should take your opinions elsewhere.

codybear 07-15-2009 08:38 PM

Only Touch Pro's that I know that his rom isn't all that friendly with is the Verizon.
And that's because it has less ram.
And I'm sure 95% of the roms here at ppcgeeks will have the same effect also on the verizon TP (5% that's left are the ROMs specifically made for the verizon TP.)

But edufur has sprint, so not sure why it's not working that great for him....

sfreier 07-15-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwcj63 (Post 1037998)
dude. i have tried all the roms by all the cooks (and yes, including Mighty Rom and many of the other "big names" here), and frankly, your opinion tells me you probably haven't tried that many roms. i have had less problems with his rom with any on this site. i have been very very loyal to the cooks on this site but frankly, when i couldn't find any 6.5 rom that would run pandora with zero problems or NFS Undercover, i went searching elsewhere. and what i found was NFSFAN's 105 rom. i loaded the programs i mentioned and with none of the so called tweaks that "must" be installed to get them to run, they ran. i was in shock.

so. instead of posting in a thread that you obviously aren't interested in and only want to start trouble, you should take your opinions elsewhere.

well said!

codybear 07-15-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfreier (Post 1038119)
well said!

I do agree with the last part of the last sentence though,
it should be posted at the rom's thread.
But I don't see what's the matter with having a thread here,
but it's just annoying because people keep posting problems here that are (or were in previous builds) usually answered over at xda.

DarkLord 07-15-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codybear (Post 1038148)
I do agree with the last part of the last sentence though,
it should be posted at the rom's thread.
But I don't see what's the matter with having a thread here,
but it's just annoying because people keep posting problems here that are (or were in previous builds) usually answered over at xda.

the point of my rant was that if you don't like his roms, stay the hell out of his threads.

codybear 07-15-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwcj63 (Post 1038236)
the point of my rant was that if you don't like his roms, stay the hell out of his threads.

Agreed again. haha.
It's just inevitable.
It won't stop.
but it's stupid.
I just think that questions about a rom,
is best to be asked in the rom's thread.
that being said,
that's why I agreed about asking the question at xda.

Psycho77 07-16-2009 09:17 AM

NFSROM for me feel a lots of faster and smoother than anything here. His DLL, Drivers optimization, small SYS, just make it great. Smooth and quick, I have no problem here using his ROM, really the best so far.

jmorton10 07-16-2009 09:31 AM

I did come across a deal breaking bug (for me) in this ROM last night.

I use Vito SMS-Chat with TouchPal for texting. I was having a super annoying problem where I would be texting (I can type insanely fast with TP and T+) & the whole system would seem to freeze up for a few seconds. The text would stop, the KB would become totally unresponsive, & then say three seconds later it would free up & go on as if nothing had happened. This problem was SO ANNOYING, I came close to going back to one of my old Titan's at one point (they never did this AT ALL).

Someone else a while back posted the same problem & after about 20 responses from people having the exact same problem, someone said "I had the same problem, but it completely disappeared when I switched to merdin's latest ROM"

I was VERY skeptical that that would fix it, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. Much to my amazement, the problem completely disappeared when I went to merdin's 6.5 & never came back.

Now, last night I was putting the NFSFAN system through it's paces doing some texting & had the EXACT SAME freezing problem that I had before I switched ROM's to cure it. I text WAY too much to put up with that, so I guess this ROM's not for me.

~John

DarkLord 07-16-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1039077)
I did come across a deal breaking bug (for me) in this ROM last night.

I use Vito SMS-Chat with TouchPal for texting. I was having a super annoying problem where I would be texting (I can type insanely fast with TP and T+) & the whole system would seem to freeze up for a few seconds. The text would stop, the KB would become totally unresponsive, & then say three seconds later it would free up & go on as if nothing had happened. This problem was SO ANNOYING, I came close to going back to one of my old Titan's at one point (they never did this AT ALL).

Someone else a while back posted the same problem & after about 20 responses from people having the exact same problem, someone said "I had the same problem, but it completely disappeared when I switched to merdin's latest ROM"

I was VERY skeptical that that would fix it, but figured it couldn't hurt to try. Much to my amazement, the problem completely disappeared when I went to merdin's 6.5 & never came back.

Now, last night I was putting the NFSFAN system through it's paces doing some texting & had the EXACT SAME freezing problem that I had before I switched ROM's to cure it. I text WAY too much to put up with that, so I guess this ROM's not for me.

~John

interesting. does his new rom have the TF3D2 preloader? wil it run Pandora and NFS Undercover?

jmorton10 07-16-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwcj63 (Post 1039102)
interesting. does his new rom have the TF3D2 preloader? wil it run Pandora and NFS Undercover?

It does have the TF3D2 loader,I don't know about pandora as I never use it but I can tell you it won't run Need For Speed (that is the ONE THING I really really liked about the NFSFAN setup)

I can live without that (although it does annoy me) as I have that game in my 2nd gen ipod touch & for some reason the gameplay is WAY WAY better in the ipod than the WM version (& the bigger screen is nice for gaming although the graphics look awesome on the TP VGA screen)

~John

DarkLord 07-16-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1039121)
It does have the TF3D2 loader,I don't know about pandora as I never use it but I can tell you it won't run Need For Speed (that is the ONE THING I really really liked about the NFSFAN setup)

I can live without that (although it does annoy me) as I have that game in my 2nd gen ipod touch & for some reason the gameplay is WAY WAY better in the ipod than the WM version (& the bigger screen is nice for gaming although the graphics look awesome on the TP VGA screen)

~John

ok thanks. as much as i LOVE Merdin's roms, if it won't play the game or pandora (which i'm assuming it won't) it's a deal breaker.

thanks for the info!! it's much appreciated.