PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

nyCecilia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Please help sort out GPS without data plan, pretty please?

Hi, newbie here. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks trying to figure out my 3-week old Sprint Touch Pro. I've installed a few of the custom apps/tweaks (but haven't gone so far as to do a rom yet, as I haven't found a need to), some with and some without success...the ones that were without success have made me hesitant to install more stuff without first asking...so...

What I'm really crazy to do is to get the GPS working without a data plan. My main goal here, at a minimum, is to at least be able to map a route via the wifi in my home and have the map available to me (ie. offline) in the car, but googlemaps hasn't really cooperated much, it always defaults back to the beginning of the route even when I set the map to view just the part I need (usually the end). Since it goes back to the beginning, it then wants to use a data connection when I get to the complicated part, which I don't have/can't do. First question: is there any way to save just the maps I need for the trip without needing a data connect?

Ideally I would be able to install map software and just use the gps without the data plan, which sounds like it's doable (depending on which site you read). I have an old Garmin Mobile 20 lying around doing nothing: it was purchased for my Treo 700wx, but never really worked properly with the treo. (I ended up having to reinstall everything from scratch, miserable experience.) So my second question is: is it possible to install the Garmin 20 software onto the TP and have it use the GPS? Having had problems with the software before, I'm hesitant to do this....

If neither #1 nor #2 are possible, is there some not-too-expensive software that will allow me to use the gps without a data plan? Which would be a good bang-for-the-buck software?

As a last resort, is there a custom ROM that would make the gps work? I've been considering this anyway, as the battery life, even after reg tweaks, is still abysmal, but would prefer not to.

TIA, and my apologies if some of this sounds redundant, I've been reading and reading this site and haven't really figured out the *definitive* answers to these questions, just lots of sort of answers and contradictions.

Cecilia
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

tkthatruth is becoming a great contributor
Re: Please help sort out GPS without data plan, pretty please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
Hi, newbie here. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks trying to figure out my 3-week old Sprint Touch Pro. I've installed a few of the custom apps/tweaks (but haven't gone so far as to do a rom yet, as I haven't found a need to), some with and some without success...the ones that were without success have made me hesitant to install more stuff without first asking...so...

What I'm really crazy to do is to get the GPS working without a data plan. My main goal here, at a minimum, is to at least be able to map a route via the wifi in my home and have the map available to me (ie. offline) in the car, but googlemaps hasn't really cooperated much, it always defaults back to the beginning of the route even when I set the map to view just the part I need (usually the end). Since it goes back to the beginning, it then wants to use a data connection when I get to the complicated part, which I don't have/can't do. First question: is there any way to save just the maps I need for the trip without needing a data connect?

Ideally I would be able to install map software and just use the gps without the data plan, which sounds like it's doable (depending on which site you read). I have an old Garmin Mobile 20 lying around doing nothing: it was purchased for my Treo 700wx, but never really worked properly with the treo. (I ended up having to reinstall everything from scratch, miserable experience.) So my second question is: is it possible to install the Garmin 20 software onto the TP and have it use the GPS? Having had problems with the software before, I'm hesitant to do this....

If neither #1 nor #2 are possible, is there some not-too-expensive software that will allow me to use the gps without a data plan? Which would be a good bang-for-the-buck software?

As a last resort, is there a custom ROM that would make the gps work? I've been considering this anyway, as the battery life, even after reg tweaks, is still abysmal, but would prefer not to.

TIA, and my apologies if some of this sounds redundant, I've been reading and reading this site and haven't really figured out the *definitive* answers to these questions, just lots of sort of answers and contradictions.

Cecilia
If you have access to internet, google maps your location and desired destination and go by that, or if you want voice directions, get TomTom Navigator 7 that uses your internal GPS and connects to TomTom GPS satellites. It'll cost you money but its cheaper than a data plan in the end.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

Your only option might be a program like Garmin XT or something like that. You will need a program capable of creating a large cache, and GPS on a mobile phone really isn't designed to do that.

I think Garmin comes with a basic map of the US installed already.

GPS units have come down a lot in price, might be work checking out since your options are going to be VERY limited I think for using GPS without a data plan.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

I use I-go8, no problems, no net needed, worth every penny!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Route Cashing is a feature I've been waiting for Google to implement. Unfortunately, I guess they assume people have service everywhere. They should take a drive down I-5 between the Bay Area and Bakersfield.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkthatruth View Post
If you have access to internet, google maps your location and desired destination and go by that, or if you want voice directions, get TomTom Navigator 7 that uses your internal GPS and connects to TomTom GPS satellites. It'll cost you money but its cheaper than a data plan in the end.
Thanks for the response!

Question 1: how would I save the googlemaps directions? (ie. I've been trying to save just the final part of the map with the direction line on it)

Question 2: Is there a USA version of TomTom Nav7? (I only see Europe version)

Last edited by nyCecilia; 07-13-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
Route Cashing is a feature I've been waiting for Google to implement. Unfortunately, I guess they assume people have service everywhere. They should take a drive down I-5 between the Bay Area and Bakersfield.
Haha, were you following me while I was testing the Google map?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

There's another thread here stating Garmin Mobile will work without a data plan.

I don't know of a way to cache a route in Google. One of Google's many 99% products.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudpucker View Post
I use I-go8, no problems, no net needed, worth every penny!
Sadly, I'm stuck at only finding Europe for I-go8, unless there is a different site other than igomyway and navngo, and TomTom Navigator 7 looks like it's Europe only too.

Maybe there's software for just the SF Bay Area?

Update: maybe I answered my own part 1 question? (thanks to gprmr1 for triggering the "caching" word, and Lifehacker for directing me there, a google search didn't pull this up) I haven't tried this yet, but will tonite: http://gears.google.com/?platform=wince-opera#

Last edited by nyCecilia; 07-13-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Update: The Garmin XT maps won't work. It comes with a regular SD card which won't install to the Touch Pro...I got a fresh download from the Garmin site but it won't install the full thing if the maps aren't already loaded on the phone. I can get the main program to run without the maps, but it says it will only work with the Garmin GPS, not the internal GPS.

I tried deleting all the Garmin stuff, and of course now it won't go away so I'll have to do a hard reset.

My (lack of) success so far:
TomTom maps are Europe only.
iGo maps are Europe only.
Garmin maps won't install properly or work with the internal GPS.
Google maps require internet to work.

Why does this have to be SOOOOO difficult? I just want to use the GPS that comes with my device. I don't need internet.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro