PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Garmin Mobile XT, GPS, Data Connection Required? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74611)

umop3pisdn 07-13-2009 01:00 PM

Garmin Mobile XT, GPS, Data Connection Required?

I searched the forum and couldn't find a conclusive answer. Does Garmin Mobile XT or the GPS chipset in the Sprint Touch Pro require a data connection to secure a lock?

I ask because my wife and I recently traveled into an area where their was limited Roam or no connection at all and of course Sprint Navigation failed us so it prompted me to get a GPS system that didn't rely on a data connection.
Around the same time my wife got her phone replaced and while I was setting it up for her, before it was activated on the Sprint network, I tried to run Garmin and it would not get a satellite lock. I downloaded the HTC GPS Tools and still could not get a lock. Once her phone was activated, I took it outside and got a lock almost instantly. So I closed out Garmin and turned off the data connection. Opened Garmin back up and satellites were locked almost instantly. Checked and found that the data connection had also re-activated itself. I couldn't keep the data connection off when I opened Garmin.:???::???:

Mylt1 07-13-2009 01:31 PM

Re: Garmin Mobile XT, GPS, Data Connection Required?

Garmin only connects to the internet if you have it set up to find gas prices or check the weather. you can turn that off in the settings. go into TOOLS/SETTINGS/GARMINONLINE/ and just click on disable and you should be GTG.

Mylt1 07-13-2009 01:32 PM

oh, and as far as getting a lock. i can turn the radio(cell service) OFF on my VZN TP and still use the GPS. same as with my old 6800.

crash383 07-13-2009 01:42 PM

I have it and can verify that no connection is needed. It even worked on the plane ride up to my last vacation.

psiphi 07-13-2009 03:40 PM

No Data Connection Required... I got mine exactly because I wanted GPS where I couldn't get telephone service...

umop3pisdn 07-16-2009 12:54 PM

Interesting. I put her phone in airplane mode and was able to get sat signal. Maybe the GPS function is disabled until the phone is activated on a cellular network and from then on works with or without a data connection. I don't know, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Thanks for all the input.

jmorton10 07-16-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umop3pisdn (Post 1039399)
Maybe the GPS function is disabled until the phone is activated on a cellular network .

that's not true.

I have a brand new Sprint TP sitting on my kitchen table that has NEVER been activated & it will get a sat lock any time I want.

~John

umop3pisdn 07-16-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1039567)
that's not true.

I have a brand new Sprint TP sitting on my kitchen table that has NEVER been activated & it will get a sat lock any time I want.

~John

Well it was true on my wife's new TP. :)
What tools or apps are you using to get a sat lock? I tried Garmin and HTC GPS Tools and hers would not get a sat lock. She activated her phone and within ten minutes I took it back outside to the same spot I tried to get signal before and BAM, sat lock.

BTW, also used my Wifi connection to update QuickGPS before her phone was activated.

Mylt1 07-16-2009 04:23 PM

unless you used some type of end program to actually shut down HTC GPS tools it was running the whole time and probably locked on to the sats and you just didnt know it. after the first lock unless you turn the phone off it will continue to keep that lock. as far as quickGPS i still have not seen where that helps me get a lock any faster.

Hex 07-16-2009 04:26 PM

again... no connection required...

my old disconnected Touch/Vogue is now a handheld/visor mounted Garmin XT gps...