PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

stormseek is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good GPS other than SprintNav and Google??

Im looking for something thats noob friendly i don't drive and i want it to talk so it can be helpful for the driver to get around. No Google or... SprintNav since you gotta pay for that.

Ive heard of TomTom and IGo but im looking for you guys good feedback
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

bradleyem is just getting started
Re: Good GPS other than SprintNav and Google??

IMHO nothing beats TomTom.....It's really the only one that I've seen that functions like a stand alone GPS. And damnit...you made me mess up my perfect post count......
Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyem View Post
IMHO nothing beats TomTom.....It's really the only one that I've seen that functions like a stand alone GPS.
I agree, I have been using TomTom for a couple years now and love it.

Quote:
And damnit...you made me mess up my perfect post count......
maybe you shouldn't of posted then

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Garmin XT is what I use and I have no problem with it.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

Quote:
IMHO nothing beats TomTom.....It's really the only one that I've seen that functions like a stand alone GPS. And damnit...you made me mess up my perfect post count......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
I agree, I have been using TomTom for a couple years now and love it.

maybe you shouldn't of posted then
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Garmin XT is what I use and I have no problem with it.
I'd hope that you wouldn't have any problems with those programs considering they cost money....
to the OP, here is a free GPS app called Amaze that was recommended by another member on another thread. If I may ask, what do you need out of the GPS that the combination of Telenav/Sprint Navigation and Google Maps combined cannot achieve .

I have a real hardware tom tom GPS and the TeleNav works just as good and even speaks street names better sometimes
Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru

I personally like Garmin XT, and have been using it for almost 2 years now. Tom Tom always did some rather unusual routing for me. It wouldn't get me where I wanted to go sometimes, or was a little inacurate on telling me where I needed to turn. Not knocking those that use it, just in my experience Garmin is worlds better, runs much quicker, and runs exactly like a stand alone GPS unit. Only Garmin drawback is that it doesn't speak the street names, but I'm ok with "turn left in .1 miles" then "turn left now" as I approach.

The latest Garmin XT has a google search feature that will find just about anything you can think of that's near you, give you the phone number and auto-routing! There are alot of other great features like the fact it constantly (even during your active route) checks for traffic issues like backups, road closings, construction, etc, and will route around them if desired. And if you want to see how it works in person, head in to a store that has Garmin GPS units on display. The software is nearly identical, but better on the ppc version due to the internet connectivity.

The problem with Amaze, Google maps, Sprint NAV and the like, is that your maps are being downloaded in real time as you need them. Not a good thing if you drive where you are either getting only 1x data, or worse than that, little or no reception. No data = no maps to route. I guess that's ok if you never leave a metro area, but on a cross country trip you'll run into trouble.

With the commercial programs like Garmin and TomTom, the maps are loaded on your SD card, so they are very fast and smooth, and work perfectly regardless of wether or not you have good data signal. I have the entire US map set on my SD Card and it takes up about 1GB. Best part is, these programs are a one time fee and you'll get use of it on every pocket pc you own from time of purchase forward.

Just my two cents... or three... maybe four.

Last edited by veedubguru; 07-12-2009 at 12:56 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

How much is the Tom Tom program versus Garmin?? I'm having a hard time justifying getting either of them since I own a full GPS but if they are cheap enough and work well enough then I'd consider selling my GPS unit
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviyth0s View Post
How much is the Tom Tom program versus Garmin?? I'm having a hard time justifying getting either of them since I own a full GPS but if they are cheap enough and work well enough then I'd consider selling my GPS unit
I paid $100 for my Garmin new on Ebay. It came with bluetooth GPS, but I made some changes to the program so that I could use it with internal GPS. You'll have to google how to do all that... it's not allowed conversation here.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2/Diamond

lostcausnjtown is keeping up the good worklostcausnjtown is keeping up the good worklostcausnjtown is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to lostcausnjtown Send a message via Yahoo to lostcausnjtown

I think they can both be had for a under a 100 bucks.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i use garmin regularly, tomtom on occasion. tomtom has had some weird problems on my phone though, but overall, it works well. its a very "dated" experience though, compared to garmin. i tried amaze a few times, but i'd rather stick to an sd card solution if possible because i like to talk on the phone while i'm driving, and garmin and tomtom work just fine while on a bluetooth headset.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro