PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Got a replacement TP. Keyboard doesn't work. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74415)

fuzzybabybunny 07-11-2009 02:52 AM

Got a replacement TP. Keyboard doesn't work.

I got a replacement TP today under the Sprint Total Protection Plan and I immediately flashed it to Energy Rom. Then I noticed that the slide out keyboard wasn't working. No response. Thinking that it was a bad flash, I reflashed, same thing. Then I flashed to Mighty Mike's 4/R3born, same problem. When the phone was stock I didn't even bother trying the slide out keyboard because I went straight to unlocking, so I don't know if it worked with the stock ROM.

Does this sound like a hardware issue to you? Do I need to go back to Sprint to get a replacement for this replacement phone?

Rourke Swift 07-11-2009 02:58 AM

Re: Got a replacement TP. Keyboard doesn't work.

I really doubt that had anything to do with a custom ROM; however, since you need to flash back to stock anyways, do so and test the keyboard before you relock and return.

I know the FAQ for the Energy ROM mentions something about a "keyboard selector" being able to shut your keyboard down, but I can't image it'd be something that could persist through a flash to a new ROM. Still, could always flash to it and make sure "Touch Pro" is selected as a last-ditch effort.

fuzzybabybunny 07-11-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rourke Swift (Post 1028870)
I really doubt that had anything to do with a custom ROM; however, since you need to flash back to stock anyways, do so and test the keyboard before you relock and return.

I know the FAQ for the Energy ROM mentions something about a "keyboard selector" being able to shut your keyboard down, but I can't image it'd be something that could persist through a flash to a new ROM. Still, could always flash to it and make sure "Touch Pro" is selected as a last-ditch effort.

Thanks for the mention of the Energy ROM keyboard selector. I guess I'll give it a go... sigh. Been flashing this stupid phone all day. I also doubt that the ROMs have anything to do with it, especially since the problem has persisted through MightyMike and now through a dumped Sprint stock ROM.

Bah.

Sporkman 07-11-2009 03:15 AM

naa ive been thou 6 or 7 TP's most have had crappy keyboards

fuzzybabybunny 07-11-2009 03:49 AM

Went back to the Energy ROM. No go. Went to a stock Sprint Shipped ROM. Still no go. This thing is getting returned... now I'm probably going to have to wait another week for another replacement... damn.

psycho_maniac 07-11-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny (Post 1028867)
I got a replacement TP today under the Sprint Total Protection Plan and I immediately flashed it to Energy Rom. Then I noticed that the slide out keyboard wasn't working. No response. Thinking that it was a bad flash, I reflashed, same thing. Then I flashed to Mighty Mike's 4/R3born, same problem. When the phone was stock I didn't even bother trying the slide out keyboard because I went straight to unlocking, so I don't know if it worked with the stock ROM.

Does this sound like a hardware issue to you? Do I need to go back to Sprint to get a replacement for this replacement phone?

thanks for reminding me to test my keyboard out when i get mine in the mail i wont wanna flash and right away flash back just to wait another week to get another phone.

tr0s 07-11-2009 10:56 AM

before you call sprint and have them issue you a replacement, is there a sprint service store near you? i haven't had a whole lot of luck with them on my touch pro's but they might be able to replace the keyboard for you.... they did it a couple times on my old moguls.

fuzzybabybunny 07-11-2009 02:20 PM

Yeah, I called a Sprint Store but they didn't have any TPs in stock. They said they would get some in on Monday though, which is really quick. Doesn't look like they can just repair my phone though.

BTW, is there a TP disassembly guide? I have a feeling this is something as simple as a ribbon cable being dislodged.

Elite Precision 07-11-2009 02:50 PM

i recently had to get my sprint tp replaced due to hardware keyboard failure. the replacement works fine so far (knock on wood) but i noticed that the keyboard does not slide the same way my prev tp did. itits like the slider is loose, example; when the phone is in portrait mode i can press the top portiom from the top left an right as where my old one wld only slide pressing from center left, its hard to explain but i am hesitant to send it back bc im afraid ill get on refurb that has worse issues. anyone else experiencing this?

Rourke Swift 07-11-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny (Post 1029452)
BTW, is there a TP disassembly guide? I have a feeling this is something as simple as a ribbon cable being dislodged.

This might be right up your alley... :D

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...752#post808752