PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

himan is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why hasn't there been an official update?

Did HTC ditch us? Why are there NO updates to the TP, while the mogul had tons?

I know roms are better, but official updates fix things/update things rom cookers just can't or won't
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

ahawke01 is keeping up the good workahawke01 is keeping up the good work
Re: Why hasn't there been an official update?

It depends what you are wanting to update. This site and alot of others does a great job posting things to fix and personalize the pro that HTC does not choose to update.

I like to run a non stock rom but some times I go back to stock to remember how great the non stock is.

Let us know what you are looking for and we may be able to help.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

For one thing, the Mogul had didn't have features like EVDO revA enabled in the initial ROM, so they released an update. The first ROM enabling revA was awful, so it was replaced. Sprint also felt the need to add SprintTV which comes on the TP and has since been rendered worthless. There was also an update to to 6.1 when that was released. The TP's shipping ROM works fine with the exception of being slow and stuffed with crapware (SprintTV anyone?). It's been announced (official?) that there will be an update to 6.5, so you will eventually have a new stock ROM. Basically, the Mogul had more updates because it needed them. OTH, there are arguably far more unofficial ROM's/kitchens available for the TP than there ever were for the Mogul. There might be a few tidbits in the official ROM not found in the cooked ROM's available in the upgrade section, but I doubt it will be significant. Not that a official ROM isn't welcome, but there are several cooks here that are that damned good! BTW, the "official updates" you mention are ROM's too.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
It's been announced (official?) that there will be an update to 6.5, so you will eventually have a new stock ROM.
if memory serves me correctly i dont believe the tp/diamond will get "official" 6.5 updates
Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 PM
VIP Member
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by himan View Post
Did HTC ditch us? Why are there NO updates to the TP, while the mogul had tons?

I know roms are better, but official updates fix things/update things rom cookers just can't or won't
there have been updates. verizon and alltel and uscc have gotten them
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM
iPhone Killer
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

dwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
if memory serves me correctly i dont believe the tp/diamond will get "official" 6.5 updates

I remember seeing an email to a member from Sprint telling him that Sprint will be releasing an official WM 6.5 ROM update for the TP. No time frame was given though.

dwizzy130

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Back
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizzy130 View Post
I remember seeing an email to a member from Sprint telling him that Sprint will be releasing an official WM 6.5 ROM update for the TP. No time frame was given though.

dwizzy130
now we all know there are hundreds of custom 6.5 roms out there but in terms of official ones check this article:

Will You Be Able to Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

I'm sure you've asked yourself this by now: will I be able to upgrade my current device to Windows Mobile 6.5 when it comes out?

We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's quite likely the answer will be a "no," no matter what device you have now. There are many reasons that this will be the case. Chief among them:

1. At the Ballmer keynote, the HTC CEO made it a big deal that people that buy the Touch Pro2 and Diamond2 will get a free upgrade. Both of these devices were designed for 6.5, so this makes sense. It's not likely that HTC would spend the time upgrading last-generation hardware to new-generation software.

2. OEMs and carriers naturally stray from issuing software updates that would be too costly or timely to implement. That's one of the reasons that the WinMo 6.1 updates took so long (we've heard reports that some ROM updates cost millions of dollars). With a new physics engine, a lot of optimization will need to be done to get 6.5 working on your Samsung Omnia, for example, so it's not likely that Samsung or Verizon will spend that time to get it right and push it out to the user.

3. This kind of goes along with the number one: not giving you an update is a way to encourage you to buy a new phone. Since 6.1 to 6.5 is a more significant upgrade than 6.0 to 6.1 was, OEMs and carriers will want you to experience the latest hardware with the latest software. Or at least, that is how they'll justify it.

4. Microsoft wants all WinMo 6.5 devices to have a Windows flag on it right on the front of the device (the keyboard doesn't seem to count). There aren't any recent WinMo touchscreen devices (that come to mind) that have this flag.

Last edited by redd214; 07-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
iPhone Killer
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

dwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdwizzy130 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Here is a link to the thread I saw with the email:

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=por...t=news&id=7538

dwizzy130
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

that article is from February & @
#4 it doesnt apply anymore
#3 nobody is buying a phone for 6.5 only when wm7 will be out right after it
#2 if sprint said that they were gonna give us 6.5 then i doubt it would be that costly since most of they time they showed demos of 6.5 it was on the touch pro
#1 so the dia2 & tp2 will get 6.5 upgrades first with the tp getting them later after the tp2 has sold its fair share
& @ the article name yes i will be able to upgrade to 6.5 cuz i already did been running it since i think feb
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
now we all know there are hundreds of custom 6.5 roms out there but in terms of official ones check this article:

Will You Be Able to Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5?

I'm sure you've asked yourself this by now: will I be able to upgrade my current device to Windows Mobile 6.5 when it comes out?

We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's quite likely the answer will be a "no," no matter what device you have now. There are many reasons that this will be the case. Chief among them:

1. At the Ballmer keynote, the HTC CEO made it a big deal that people that buy the Touch Pro2 and Diamond2 will get a free upgrade. Both of these devices were designed for 6.5, so this makes sense. It's not likely that HTC would spend the time upgrading last-generation hardware to new-generation software.

2. OEMs and carriers naturally stray from issuing software updates that would be too costly or timely to implement. That's one of the reasons that the WinMo 6.1 updates took so long (we've heard reports that some ROM updates cost millions of dollars). With a new physics engine, a lot of optimization will need to be done to get 6.5 working on your Samsung Omnia, for example, so it's not likely that Samsung or Verizon will spend that time to get it right and push it out to the user.

3. This kind of goes along with the number one: not giving you an update is a way to encourage you to buy a new phone. Since 6.1 to 6.5 is a more significant upgrade than 6.0 to 6.1 was, OEMs and carriers will want you to experience the latest hardware with the latest software. Or at least, that is how they'll justify it.

4. Microsoft wants all WinMo 6.5 devices to have a Windows flag on it right on the front of the device (the keyboard doesn't seem to count). There aren't any recent WinMo touchscreen devices (that come to mind) that have this flag.

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 07-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Quote:
Since 6.1 to 6.5 is a more significant upgrade than 6.0 to 6.1 was, OEMs and carriers will want you to experience the latest hardware with the latest software
Horse****. THe TP2 and TP1 have the same amount of RAM, same processor, same camera, no flash, and essentially the same hardware. About the only difference that I have seen is a sleeker form factor, an increased battery capacity, and the tilting screen. It is essentially a combination between the HTC Kaiser and the HTC Rapheal. If the Rapheal were to have the layout of the Kaiser, it would almost be the perfect phone. (I miss the actual buttons on the faceplate of the kaiser) instead of basically guessing the point between left/right and send/end. Tetris is almost impossible to play on the TP, but very doable on the Kaiser.

Considering the almost identical specifications, the TP1 is fully capable of running WM6.5. As a matter of fact, I have biuld 23001 installed on my unit, and when I ran the "updated" official ROM, I found it rather limiting. The official update lasted less then 24 hours on my phone before going back to WM 6.5
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro