PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, iPhone 3Gs
Carrier: Sprint, T-mobile

mkmkmk13 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Tether and Charge :)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before

my cable internet was down yesterday, so i grabbed my TP and tethered for a good hour then the battery was dead..
so i pluged the TP in the bedroom and felt like it was crazy hot, i fired up WMWIFIROUTER and it worked but then it would stop charging and die again

so i unplugged the battery from the phone placed everything in one of my A/C vents, it cooled down in 2 mins plugged it and it started to charge..
but heat came back very fast, so i stuck the phone with the keyboard open and without a back cover back in the A/C's Vent while its charging, THATS IT
i tethered the hole day on it with out problems
today i tried the same thing with a mini fan that i had blow closely on the open tp and still works

so heat is the TP's enemy

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Tether and Charge :)

I've done the exact same thing. I travel full time so i work from hotel rooms alot i have placed my TP charging on the window ac unit to keep it cool while wmwifirouter was pumping out the bandwidth to me.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy, MANGO
Carrier: Verizon

MetalHd is just getting started

Do you notice a difference in signal with the keyboard open? I do... ugh.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, iPhone 3Gs
Carrier: Sprint, T-mobile
Threadstarter

mkmkmk13 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHd View Post
Do you notice a difference in signal with the keyboard open? I do... ugh.
not at all, but i noticed that without cooling signal would drop sometimes or change into x1
i have strong signal where i live
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

our TPs overheat, when tethering even? no way!!

just funnin with ya man.. yeah the radios get exceptionally warm and stop charging so the batteries dont explode... you cant even talk on the phone while charging without this happening...

gotta love retail: $579.99 overheating pieces of junk huh LOL
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: herman <- titan <- apache
Carrier: cricket

krielys is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
yeah the radios get exceptionally warm and stop charging so the batteries dont explode...
pffff rofl. it has nothing to do with exploding !

charging a lithium ion battery while it's hot severely shortens its lifespan. many of these type of batteries have a feature that allows them to try and keep you from killing them: if battery gets too hot, the battery's heat sensor will trigger and it will interrupt the power current so that you dont ruin the battery.

instead of being thankful for it tho, most ppl just b*tch about it.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

youre going to earn yourself some amazingly crappy battery life if you keep doing those two things: 1) letting the battery die 2) trying to charge while its hot

if you want to try and save the battery.. only tether while not charging, then stop tethering when battery gets to like 40 or so percent and charge it up, then unplug it and go back to tethering.

of course.. that takes some discipline, lol.

if youre going to tether.. best to have a separate battery that you use for only tethering, and change it out when youre done.. so that you dont have to battle to keep your phone alive all day when youre using it normally.

or keep an extra battery always charged so that you dont have to charge the battery while its hot.. because the phone is heating the battery.. the battery isnt heating itself (very much)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before

my cable internet was down yesterday, so i grabbed my TP and tethered for a good hour then the battery was dead..
so i pluged the TP in the bedroom and felt like it was crazy hot, i fired up WMWIFIROUTER and it worked but then it would stop charging and die again

so i unplugged the battery from the phone placed everything in one of my A/C vents, it cooled down in 2 mins plugged it and it started to charge..
but heat came back very fast, so i stuck the phone with the keyboard open and without a back cover back in the A/C's Vent while its charging, THATS IT
i tethered the hole day on it with out problems
today i tried the same thing with a mini fan that i had blow closely on the open tp and still works

so heat is the TP's enemy
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Guys, were talking about Touch Pros, Not Moguls... so im gonna excuse my opening statement from above.. the batteries are NOT whats getting hot, Its the RADIOs, the heat transfer is so great that it triggers the battery heat sensors, thats why it stops charging, the battery itself is not running hot..

also, "dont let your battery die"??? ummm, when u first start a new phone/battery, you overcharge it, then run it till it dies on you.. youve now set the conditioning for your battery... your always suppose to fully charge and fully rundown, that is the BEST way to keep your battery in "condition"....

nobodys ruining anything by running a fan on their TPs so they can tether and charge at same time... keep the radio cool and the battery never get hot, plain and simple.. i tether mutiple times a day and for multiple hrs, im not swtiching batteries al the time, im not charging the not charging, and i have my original battery still.. and ill go pound for pound on battery life with anyone else.... just make sure you have the same usuage patterns as me first, beacause i am an exceptionally heavy user..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

spiralspirit is becoming a great contributor

I use pdanet and connect via wire wire, even though it can connect via bluetooth or wifi, because it tends to produce less heat. I've never had it overheat that way.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

oh sweetheart, youre killing me.
that does not work for lithium ion.
that practice is for nickel batteries only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
also, "dont let your battery die"??? ummm, when u first start a new phone/battery, you overcharge it, then run it till it dies on you.. youve now set the conditioning for your battery... your always suppose to fully charge and fully rundown, that is the BEST way to keep your battery in "condition"....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro