PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

mitpianoman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon stopped working - help

I bought my phone off of Craigslist around 6 months ago and someone had already done most of the "heavy lifting" for me when it comes to getting this Sprint-branded phone working on VZW. I only had to do *228, option 3, and update my PRL to get it working on my account. Everything worked fine. I've since flashed to a couple different roms found here and have generally had success until recently. Following the directions, I do a hard reset (always by going to settings -> system -> clear storage) then allow customizations to run. No problems there.

Recently, I read some bad advice that I could also perform a hard reset through the "Reset" option in EPST. Resetting in this manner caused the phone to go back to a pre-verizon state, with my NAM saying 'SPCS', non-zero service programming code, etc. Many headaches later, and following the instructions posted here, I've been able to get my phone back to the point where it's recognized on the verizon network and making calls. Getting data working, however, has me stumped so far.

Yes, I've searched. The most informative post I've found so far has suggested to try clearing the AAA and HA keys (both using EPST and QPST, though I'm not positive I'm doing it correctly in QPST - screenshot attached), setting the phone into 1x mode and browsing around. I so far haven't been able to get it to authenticate on the network. Not sure if it provides any clues, but the error I get when I can't connect is Sprint messaging "Data Call Failure - Error Code 67 Registration Failure. Your PCS Vision username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again". I get that as a notification in addition to the WinMO "Cannot connect for an unknown reason" dialog. Here are my settings in EPST if they help:

M.IP Profile
Number of profiles: 6
Active user profile index: 0
MIP_MODE: Mobile IP Prefered
MIP Reg Retries: 2
MIP Reg Retry: 1750 ms
MIP Pre-Reg Timeout: 0
Mobile Node-HA: Enable
Send A Reg: Disable
Dormant Handoff Opt: Enable

MIP Default Profile
Enable Profile: Enable
NAI: 617aaaaaaa@vzw3g.com (interestingly, my MSID does not match my phone number - I remember this was the case from before my current situation, but have tried both my MSID as well as my phone number here and throughout w/o any luck)
DUN NAI: (set via QPST) same as NAI above
MN HA SPI Set: Enable
MN HA SPI Value: 12C
MN AAA SPI Set: Enable
MN AAA SPI Value: 0 (requires a "2" here for 6800 and 6900)
Reverse Tunneling: Enable
Home Address: 0.0.0.0
HA Shared Secret: (erase whatever entry is here leave blank)
AAA Shared Secret: (erase whatever entry is here leave blank)
Primary HA Address: 255.255.255.255
Secondary HA Address: 255.255.255.255
DMU Pub Key: 10
MN Authenticator: 0

Security (following other suggestions - I've changed things in here. not sure what they should be)
HDR AN AUTH User Id (LONG): same as NAI above
HDR AN AUTH Password (LONG): (blank)
PPP USER ID: same as NAI above
PPP Password: vzw

My current rom is dB_ROM (WM 6.5 build 21231), which was previously working on this phone, prior to my trying to flash it to another ROM. Radio 1.04.05V, PRI 1.47_003, PRL 51250 (from here)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qpst.JPG (74.3 KB, 33 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Just a NooB
Pocket PC: ZoOm ZoOm EVO Time
Carrier: Sprint

Sporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon stopped working - help

this should be here

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mitpianoman is a n00b

can I move it, or is that something a mod would need to do?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hah, someone actually linked to my (stolen/borrowed) post! *feels special*

In these situations, we have the customer usually do a few hard resets (through the hardware button combo), force phone into 1X mode (make a call, it automatically goes into 1X), get a good clear EVDO signal and attempt to browse. With foreign phones, the AAA/HA keys aren't always grabbed sucessfully from the Verizon servers, or, most often than not, saved correctly to the phone. Keep trying (hard reset, force 1x, browse, soft reset, force 1x, browse, soft reset browse, repeat) 5 or so times to make sure it can grab the keys. You may have to switch the active profile to something else through EPST then clear all settings in the default profile. Hard reset and try the above again...If all else fails, find another data phone that can be activated on Verizon (can even be a friends phone) and activate it in place of your phone. This forces the Verizon server to generate another access key for your device since it's changed. Switch back to the TP and you should be good to go. Judging by your ability to get back on Verizon with the "super-hard reset," your ESN/MEID is in the Verizon systems therefore you shouldn't have any trouble with getting the phone delisted if you swap phones, but be warned, if the ESN/MEID isn't in the system permanently, you WON'T be able to use the phone anymore. Hope it helps!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mitpianoman is a n00b

RonDutt, thanks for the quick reply. For some reason I couldn't find the original post, so your borrowed one was a huge help earlier. I've forced the phone into 1X mode following the HiddenModeOperation regkey from here.

When you say the hardware button combo, do you mean the one from here? After my previous bad experience with different forms of hard resetting, I can never be too careful.

I'll keep trying the hard reset, browse, soft reset, etc pattern you mentioned. Are my settings listed under "Security" ok? I assume it'd do me no good to be attempting using an incorrect login. Also, do I risk being banned or anything from trying too many times? I'm right in downtown Boston so coverage is not an issue.

Also, when I did *228, option 3 to get the phone working, it said my phone was already listed, so I'm going to assume that means the ESN/MEID is already in the system. I'm a bit confused by what you said about trying with a friend's phone though. If I activate another phone in place of my phone, won't that de-list my phone, keeping me out of the system permanently?

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitpianoman View Post
If I activate another phone in place of my phone, won't that de-list my phone, keeping me out of the system permanently?
yes, it will if your MEID is not in the VZ database (although it sounds like it probably is)

~John
Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mitpianoman is a n00b

After coming across a thread with a similar issue, I decided to call Verizon. Without disclosing that I had a non-verizon device (I did say I bought it used and it didn't have the standard VZ apps), the rep confirmed that the ESN, MDN, and MSID matched what they had in their systems, so I'm good on that end.

It's been escalated to a "network repair team" and I'm expecting to hear back 24-48 hours.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mitpianoman is a n00b

I guess the biggest issue was the keys. Verizon techs updated something and now it works again. Going into EPST, the biggest changes were under security (both password fields now have garbled characters), and the HA/AAA Shared secret (same, garbled characters). Having learned my lesson, I've taken a full backup of the service configuration using QPST and am following the instructions here (both methods) for backing up my keys. Is there anything else anyone recommends backing up before I attempt another ROM flash?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

A ROM flash should not hurt.

I have three Sprint TP's on Verizon & I flash ROM's to them all the time, it has never hurt anything.

~John
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: verizon wireless

minghi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
A ROM flash should not hurt.

I have three Sprint TP's on Verizon & I flash ROM's to them all the time, it has never hurt anything.

~John
I heard you can no longer add sprint touch pro to verizon right? Verizon has a list of all verizon touch pro based MEIDs in their database and if it doesn't match, they won't activate.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro