\"PPCGeeks\"

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Scratched my screen :'( (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73504)

raidzero 07-02-2009 11:10 AM

Scratched my screen :'(

Hey everyone. I had a Verizon touch pro for 8 months that did not come with a screen protector, so it never got one. After 8 months of mainly finger/fingernail and stylus heavy use: not one scratch on it. A few weeks ago I got a sprint touch pro which did come with a screen protector but I figured if the screen on my other one was so resilient then it wasn't needed (plus I ordered a demo touch pro from sprint a while ago and my boss tried to apply the screen protector on it but failed miserably and it looked awful - did not want to attempt and mess up my shiny new device) ... Well today I did a number on it: about 4 close hairline scratches from flying through the 6.5 start menu :angry7:. I could not feel them with my finger, but when I ran over them with a stylus they were noticeable. I promptly applied a screen protector (which was actually easy and looks fine) to reduce any possible further damage done to the screen from use with the scratches. I read that toothpaste being a mild abrasive would do wonders on screens. I am thinking of trying this when I get home. I will remove my screen protector, apply the toothpaste and do my best at buffing out the scratches. My main concern is this: I am definitely going to apply another screen protector. Since scratch removal really wears down the screen to create an even surface, will I be able to apply the screen protector without bubbles due to the slightly uneven surface?
Thanks!

heydjbobby74 07-02-2009 11:23 AM

Re: Scratched my screen :'(

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1010340)
Hey everyone. I had a Verizon touch pro for 8 months that did not come with a screen protector, so it never got one. After 8 months of mainly finger/fingernail and stylus heavy use: not one scratch on it. A few weeks ago I got a sprint touch pro which did come with a screen protector but I figured if the screen on my other one was so resilient then it wasn't needed (plus I ordered a demo touch pro from sprint a while ago and my boss tried to apply the screen protector on it but failed miserably and it looked awful - did not want to attempt and mess up my shiny new device) ... Well today I did a number on it: about 4 close hairline scratches from flying through the 6.5 start menu :angry7:. I could not feel them with my finger, but when I ran over them with a stylus they were noticeable. I promptly applied a screen protector (which was actually easy and looks fine) to reduce any possible further damage done to the screen from use with the scratches. I read that toothpaste being a mild abrasive would do wonders on screens. I am thinking of trying this when I get home. I will remove my screen protector, apply the toothpaste and do my best at buffing out the scratches. My main concern is this: I am definitely going to apply another screen protector. Since scratch removal really wears down the screen to create an even surface, will I be able to apply the screen protector without bubbles due to the slightly uneven surface?
Thanks!

Yes at Best Buy, you can buy those screen protectors for like $20 and they come with a solution that you apply them with, they are 100% better than the protectors that come with the phone in my opinion! Good luck

BRIVERS73 07-02-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1010340)
Will I be able to apply the screen protector without bubbles due to the slightly uneven surface?
Thanks!

Won't really know until u try... good luck

raidzero 07-02-2009 11:46 AM

I will give it a shot. I like the way the stock screen protector feels as compared to the screen without. It feels like the VZW screen did.

jye75 07-02-2009 12:57 PM

You will have no problems with bubbles from polishing the scratches out. Also, the stock screen protector, if applied correctly, looks better and better each day. After I applied mine, any fogginess/bubbles that I had went away within a few days, and you can't tell that there is a screen protector on it at all now.

raidzero 07-02-2009 01:29 PM

Thank you, jye75. I feel much better about taking toothpaste to my phone now. :)

boredandtattooed 07-02-2009 03:01 PM

toothpaste? what are you guys polishing up, some sneakers lol

toothpaste would be considered an abrasive cleaner in this sitution.. id skip the paste and just do the screen protector, you wont feel those scrathes with it on...

also try Cuttin your nails homie, somethings certianly wrong if your scratching your screen from finger scrolling... turn up you screen sensitivity using advanced config or something

MadlyAlive 07-02-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jye75 (Post 1010569)
You will have no problems with bubbles from polishing the scratches out. Also, the stock screen protector, if applied correctly, looks better and better each day. After I applied mine, any fogginess/bubbles that I had went away within a few days, and you can't tell that there is a screen protector on it at all now.

I LOVE the stock protector. With my newly replaced TP, I took some extra care in putting this protector on. It took about 25 tries to get it exactly on there with no edges being exposed past the LCD itself.

Needless to say, they really did make the screen protector the EXACT size of the LCD.

jmorton10 07-02-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 1011043)

Needless to say, they really did make the screen protector the EXACT size of the LCD.

LOL, yea they did.

I put one of those on for my boss last week & they are a real PITA to line up correctly just because there is no margin for error whatever.

I use the Brando Ultraclear protectors on mine which are the best you can buy (& MUCH easier to install), but I agree that the stock one does work very well once you get it correctly installed.....

~John

MadlyAlive 07-02-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1011121)
I use the Brando Ultraclear protectors on mine which are the best you can buy (& MUCH easier to install), but I agree that the stock one does work very well once you get it correctly installed.....

~John

I'll have to check them out if the stock one doesn't work out for whatever reason.