PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Swapped my TP for the first time (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73435)

TProUserOnSprint 07-01-2009 06:30 PM

Swapped my TP for the first time

I was having some issues with my touch pro (purchased mid to late october 2008 including overheating, wobbly slider, and freezing overnight so I decided to head to my local store to get it swapped out.

The process was easy, although reflashing rom, radio, and relocking took longer than I though because my original sync cable is completely non functional.

I have to say upon careful inspection, the difference is night and day. The lower button and scroll wheel area is much darker on the new phone for whatever reason. It makes the front of the phone look two tone. THe display is softer and has a more yellowish tint which I don't mind because it's easier on my eyes. The biggest difference was the slider. It is MILES better than my original. I didn't even realize how bad my original got.

I'm going to be doing some testing over the next few days, and although there have been multiple threads discussing build quality, my overall point is that if you have a TP from one of the initial build dates, just go ahead and get it swapped.

kabuk1 07-01-2009 07:15 PM

Re: Swapped my TP for the first time

Funny, I had them order me a replacement & my build date is like February something. I'm having the same issues as you were.

TProUserOnSprint 07-01-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabuk1 (Post 1009169)
Funny, I had them order me a replacement & my build date is like February something. I'm having the same issues as you were.

I should have mention that I haven't tried overnight charging or any heavy data usage yet, so the newer build date might not have fixed these but like I said, I will report back in a few days of heavy use.

peepeesea 07-01-2009 07:43 PM

i just had mine replaced as well. i some how bent the screen (probably from keeping it in my pocket all the time) to the point that the screen would just turn off and on indefinitely.

my replacement was obviously a refurb. the buttons on the keyboard already had wear and the phone buttons on this one sticks up enough to put my finger nail in between it and the chrome bezel. i was not happy about this but i don't care enough to get it exchanged again. also considering they didn't charge me for this one even though i was my fault the screen broke. i ws very happy about that BTW.
now to my point... the keyboard slide is MUCH better on this one as well.

cv7713 07-01-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TProUserOnSprint (Post 1009070)
because my original sync cable is completely non functional.

what's up with that??? mine broke within a month!!

ShadowDrake 07-02-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cv7713 (Post 1009565)
what's up with that??? mine broke within a month!!

My first one from october still works... bit the phone end has metal showing at the plug... whatever though. Having hd 6 TPs means I have plenty of backup cables. My phones seem to die way faster than the cables can.

ajac 07-02-2009 02:21 AM

on number 6 (4 brand new ones and 2 refurb ones including the newest one) wonder how long this one will last.

2 had keyboard faliures
1 the screen literally melted inside
2 had the rainbow effect on the screen.

Dragon2 07-02-2009 02:27 AM

Does anybody still have the original they got? Has everyone got a replacement?

wayne64ss 07-02-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TProUserOnSprint (Post 1009070)
I was having some issues with my touch pro (purchased mid to late october 2008 including overheating, wobbly slider, and freezing overnight so I decided to head to my local store to get it swapped out.

The process was easy, although reflashing rom, radio, and relocking took longer than I though because my original sync cable is completely non functional.

I have to say upon careful inspection, the difference is night and day. The lower button and scroll wheel area is much darker on the new phone for whatever reason. It makes the front of the phone look two tone. THe display is softer and has a more yellowish tint which I don't mind because it's easier on my eyes. The biggest difference was the slider. It is MILES better than my original. I didn't even realize how bad my original got.

I'm going to be doing some testing over the next few days, and although there have been multiple threads discussing build quality, my overall point is that if you have a TP from one of the initial build dates, just go ahead and get it swapped.

funny you mention this... I just broke my old TP and went through my Sprint insurance to get a replacement. I was dreading it, I didn't want a refurb but I had no phone. I went online and filed a claim @ 3pm Monday. Tuesday evening I came home to a package from Asurion for me! I opened it and couldn't believe they sent me a BRAND NEW TP. Anyway, the point of this is that the new one is MILES better than my old one. It gets better service, much better battery life (i'm still using my old battery), and feels a billion times better.

SWEET.

bigwally 07-02-2009 09:30 AM

I'm still on my original phone. Got it back in November and it still looks and works great. Slide works perfectly. Still has the original stock rom with a 9/12/08 date! I want to try different roms but I'm just lazy I guess. :mrgreen: I have tried several different radios and updated some of the graphics though!