PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Bell Mobility

motorious is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Overflow of information...need a bit of direction :)

Hey folks, I've used the search function and can't really find a thread like this.

I have a Bell (raph800 CDMA) touch pro and am finally looking to flash a new rom and require some direction as to which one. My criteria for a ROM (in order of desirability) are as follows:
  1. Battery Life (does anyone have numbers on what the latest builds of each ROM draw out of the box, with the radio version as a constant of course?).
  2. Speed (UI, etc).
  3. Stability
  4. GPS stability and lock speed (i.e. the ROM is preconfigured to help overcome the crappy GPS implementation in the Raph, radio constant of course).
  5. Up to date HTC apps, excluding TF3D/TF3D2, TF3D/TF3D2 is nice...but I prefer keeping those CPU cycles to a minimum to preserve battery life (i.e Camera, Album, etc).
  6. Windows Mobile 6.5 (I don't mind using 6.1, but thought I'd give 6.5 a shot ).
  7. Lack of software bloat (for lack of a better word). I prefer starting fresh and picking through my desired apps.

When I had my HTC Mogul, I flashed DCD's Roms, so I'm almost inclined to head that direction with my raph.

Would be awesome if anyone has some real numbers/and informed advice regarding my criteria above!

Also, I have to thank these developers that build the ROMS with their personal time. Having dabbled in software development myself a bit, I understand the work and commitment it takes, particularly when you are not getting paid!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Re: Overflow of information...need a bit of direction :)

I apologize folks, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum subcategory. If a moderator can kindly move this to the HTC Touch Pro category (the general device categor), would be awesome. Again, I apologize .
Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

just an update folks, I've tried several roms now. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the speed, yet I wish I could pick and choose some apps. Would be nice if he released an OEM pack such as Mighty with his tweaks, or perhaps a kitchen! Does anyone have any real info regarding some of the tweaks and packages Energy uses?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2, LG Optimus S and EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: @SPRINT.COM

mikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorious View Post
just an update folks, I've tried several roms now. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the speed, yet I wish I could pick and choose some apps. Would be nice if he released an OEM pack such as Mighty with his tweaks, or perhaps a kitchen! Does anyone have any real info regarding some of the tweaks and packages Energy uses?

Just a guess but did you PM Energy? That would be your best bet or read his whole thread. Mods plz move this thread to the General Section. THANX
your mumma's wear dirty g-strings to work, nuketown is buckin hell sick, show some love you hamburger's. double up bubble up. peace out. p.s nuketown is the shiznit, like your mumma's beef strogganoff.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

sipple31 is becoming a great contributor

I would sit tight and wait for Energy's upcoming ROM. Could be released anytime now!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

coreyoli is keeping up the good workcoreyoli is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Hey folks, I've used the search function and can't really find a thread like this.

I have a Bell (raph800 CDMA) touch pro and am finally looking to flash a new rom and require some direction as to which one. My criteria for a ROM (in order of desirability) are as follows:
  1. Battery Life (does anyone have numbers on what the latest builds of each ROM draw out of the box, with the radio version as a constant of course?).
  2. Speed (UI, etc).
  3. Stability
  4. GPS stability and lock speed (i.e. the ROM is preconfigured to help overcome the crappy GPS implementation in the Raph, radio constant of course).
  5. Up to date HTC apps, excluding TF3D/TF3D2, TF3D/TF3D2 is nice...but I prefer keeping those CPU cycles to a minimum to preserve battery life (i.e Camera, Album, etc).
  6. Windows Mobile 6.5 (I don't mind using 6.1, but thought I'd give 6.5 a shot ).
  7. Lack of software bloat (for lack of a better word). I prefer starting fresh and picking through my desired apps.

When I had my HTC Mogul, I flashed DCD's Roms, so I'm almost inclined to head that direction with my raph.

Would be awesome if anyone has some real numbers/and informed advice regarding my criteria above!

Also, I have to thank these developers that build the ROMS with their personal time. Having dabbled in software development myself a bit, I understand the work and commitment it takes, particularly when you are not getting paid!
Check out the SSK 2.1.1 kitchen. I saw you like kitchens, so there ya go, lol... It's broken down and you can really make it a really clean ROM...

Check it out

-Corey

P.S. Scott should be releasing 2.2 really soon, so keep your eyes out for that as well
Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dman9821 is just getting started

I've used Mighty Mike's roms, those are always nice, right now I'm running Energy 3.0 rom it's pretty good, and I'm waiting to see if he'll have another one coming out soon, also if you want a rom that doesn't have too much clutter and you can start fresh I hear that the collaboration rom made by Silence and Mighty Mike called Viva La Revolution is made to be very clean applications wise so that you can add whatever you want and with Silence and Mighty Mike you know its a good rom. Flashing doesn't take too long though if I were you I would just try a few different roms before putting on all the stuff you want, cause it's a pain when you flash and get everything how you want it and then you wanna flash to another rom to try it out. Oh btw I'm using the Tellus radio, and it seems to help out with battery life.

Roms I've Used:
-Mighty Rom (4 and 5)
-Psyki
-SsS
-Demolition
-Viva La Revolution

Currently Running:
Energy Rom 'Photon'

Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

MightROM 5 Lite - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52695

1. Excellent battery life - I can take my TP off the charger at 6:30 AM and put back on at midnight and still have 30-50% battery life (and I use my phone pretty much all day).
2. Speed is incredible (be sure to set your pagepool properly to avoid memory leaks, or soft reset frequently). UI is MUCH more finger-friendly.
3. Stability is awesome. I've seen many people not wanting to go w/ WM6.5 because of the lack of stability. This is the only 6.5 ROM I've tried and I've had no trouble at all with it being instable.
4. GPS - Not sure. I haven't had the chance to check into this, though I havent seen anyone having trouble so it should be good. lordshadowz posted a pretty awesome guide on optimizing MightROM 4 & 5.
5. Up to date HTC apps - check. TF3D/TF3D2 is not included in the Lite version of MightyROM 5
6. WM 6.5 - check. And it's WAY better than 6.1 Much more finger-friendly and manageable. The only thing that can be somewhat inconvenient is the start menu, as it doesn't have any oraginzation to it. However, there's an app called reStart which you can organize your Start menu any way you want it. Here's the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=481379
7. Software - The Lite version of this ROM is pretty bare bones. This makes it easier to keep the device cleaned up and only have the apps you're going to use on there. Most of the basic apps are included.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
MightROM 5 Lite - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52695

1. Excellent battery life - I can take my TP off the charger at 6:30 AM and put back on at midnight and still have 30-50% battery life (and I use my phone pretty much all day).
2. Speed is incredible (be sure to set your pagepool properly to avoid memory leaks, or soft reset frequently). UI is MUCH more finger-friendly.
3. Stability is awesome. I've seen many people not wanting to go w/ WM6.5 because of the lack of stability. This is the only 6.5 ROM I've tried and I've had no trouble at all with it being instable.
4. GPS - Not sure. I haven't had the chance to check into this, though I havent seen anyone having trouble so it should be good. lordshadowz posted a pretty awesome guide on optimizing MightROM 4 & 5.
5. Up to date HTC apps - check. TF3D/TF3D2 is not included in the Lite version of MightyROM 5
6. WM 6.5 - check. And it's WAY better than 6.1 Much more finger-friendly and manageable. The only thing that can be somewhat inconvenient is the start menu, as it doesn't have any oraginzation to it. However, there's an app called reStart which you can organize your Start menu any way you want it. Here's the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=481379
7. Software - The Lite version of this ROM is pretty bare bones. This makes it easier to keep the device cleaned up and only have the apps you're going to use on there. Most of the basic apps are included.

Hope that helps!
Awesome, thanks for the info! I will probably give Mighty a shot in a couple of days. Right now I've flashed a few other ROMS and was very impressed with Energy's speed. I'm going to test things out for a few days just to see how bad the battery life is. In terms of bloat, Energy is right up there, but flashing it gave me a good idea of what apps I want, and I what I should avoid...considering he has practically everything in there .
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM
Carrier: Sprint

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info! I will probably give Mighty a shot in a couple of days. Right now I've flashed a few other ROMS and was very impressed with Energy's speed. I'm going to test things out for a few days just to see how bad the battery life is. In terms of bloat, Energy is right up there, but flashing it gave me a good idea of what apps I want, and I what I should avoid...considering he has practically everything in there .
I used to be in the same boat as you. I also had a Mogul and was obsessed with using kitchens and light roms to have the absolute least amount of crap on there. I can tell you now, having used my Touch Pro for a while, that the light roms make me sad. Haha. I have been using Energy for a bit and I love it. I have tried a couple of roms since then and I feel like they are just missing stuff. Energy rom has almost every single thing I need!

I have found that I don't need to be as picky as I was with the Mogul, because the Touch Pro runs everything so much better.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro