PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: alltel htc touch pro
Carrier: verizon

jseven is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new TP owner with questions

love the phone --- not liking some of the restrictions Alltel put in it.

GPS - How can I get google maps to work with the GPS on my phone? it seems Alltel locked it so I have to pay for their service. advice?

Program list - the nice little launching app has several Alltel installed apps i don't want on there but when i click "remove" they all have little locks on them and i can't remove them. how can i unlock them an get rid of them?

lastly - what are the essential programs i need?

thanks
jseven
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: new TP owner with questions

I would recommend checking out the Touch Pro Essentials Thread as well as Most Commonly Requested Apps thread. Both of these can provide you with a lot of information to get the ball rolling. This thread has discussed the issues you are having with gps http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=alltel+gps. The search feature will become your best friend if you try to use it. Does take some time to figure out but it can be much quicker than waiting for a response to a question that has been asked multiple times.

Last edited by lwrdrchvy2; 07-01-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Welcome to PPCGeeks!

Take some time and do the reading! There's very little that hasn't been asked and answered already, so get skilled with your Search button and save yourself having to wait for someone. The TP is a pretty complicated device with a lot of potential; as soon as you find the answers to the first three questions you'll have 6 more to ask, so the best possible thing you can do is buckle down with a cup of coffee and get reading...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

digitard is just getting started

What they said, but I'll answer your questions.

#1. I believe there's a cab that will enable the GPS, but honestly if you're here... look into a new ROM. The ROM's in the CDMA section above are excellent, and as far as I know they all have unlocked GPS. The 6.1 ROM Alltel uses is bloated w/ stuff, and runs fairly crappy. I took it off the day I got my TP.

#2. You can't remove them unless you:
A) Install a new ROM. They wont be there then.
B) There is a program called something like Diamond Tweak's or something (you'd have to search. I don't remember it offhand, sorry) that lets you unlock those and you can delete them at that point.

Being an Alltel user, and an avid supporter of the chef's here, I highly suggest you cehck out that CDMA section and see if you feel comfortable unlocking your phone and replacing the stock Alltel ROM. It's your best overall choice since if you do some testing you'll probably find one w/ higher performance, apps you can use, and unlocked GPS.

Currently I'm running the EnergyROM new release. Previously I've used MightyROM5 (great), and the Merdin (excellent 6.1 ROM) ones and loved them.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro