PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   HTC TP Over Heat Beat the SD? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73291)

GhettoBSD 06-30-2009 11:43 AM

HTC TP Over Heat Beat the SD?

Besides being a nice little rhyme, has anyone's SD card gone bad from the TO over heating?

Just curious because I was charging my phone and talking on it for like 5 mins and of course it got warm... so I pulled the battery to let it cool a little but the battery was actually cool, it was just the radio area that was extremely hot. That happens to be just under the SD card!

So I pull out the SD card and it is toastly like a quiznos sub#!#!@

So, I was wondering if anyone's SD card has gone bad because of the heat...

Now's a good time to back up those important files and pictures!!!

Darkjedi 06-30-2009 12:55 PM

Re: HTC TP Over Heat Beat the SD?

I don't believe normal SD cards are susceptible to overheating as they are some of the most durable cards. My camera can get really hot while recording video and I haven't had a problem with mt no name SD card. Although microSD cards are much more fragile and repeated hot/cold cycles may or may not affect the composite substrate.

Major_Nate 06-30-2009 12:59 PM

I've always wondered this, but I have also noticed that many times when i take the battery out to let my Pro cool down, I will pull the microSD out and it will also be as hot, if not worse, than the battery. Great question, though.

TheRealHotshot 06-30-2009 02:05 PM

Makes ya go hmmmm. Might need to watch that and back up the old files!

boredandtattooed 06-30-2009 03:38 PM

no, your good actually... back b4 the Pros and we all had moguls... alot of us kept extra sd cards tapped under our battery covers.. that was right over the battery in some cases, and moguls got extremely warm too.. though it was battery overheating, not the radio..

but theyll certainly survive and perform as expected

nxtech3 06-30-2009 03:41 PM

never had an issue with my microSD card. Ive been using my TP since they have come out.

htcman724 06-30-2009 03:52 PM

to answer your question very sipmly no the heat will not mess with the sd card they are manufactured to take hot and cold variables.

Darkjedi 06-30-2009 04:21 PM

Heres the stats on a Kingston SD card. Sandisk Extreme Cards are the same

Operating Temperature — -13º F to 185º F (-25º C to 85 º C)

So unless your phone gets hot enough to almost boil water, I think you'll be ok.

shaggylive 06-30-2009 04:26 PM

yea, i've noticed the heat too, but I think this is just another reason why quality is important. I could potentially see a cheepo using the wrong plastic or something.

gator352 06-30-2009 05:01 PM

Yeah maybe the ol cheepos from ebay might catch on fire, but all in all, I think it's all good.