PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro Verizon

HTC_Noob is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need help understanding all the terms here

I love this site and I just registered here. I have a new HTC touch pro from Verizon and I was looking to upgrade the stock rom. The only thing is, is that I am such a noob when it comes to tech words and stuff. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

What is the difference between kitchens and roms and bases. Also, what is manila and rhodum and flo3d. Aand what is the main difference between wm6.1 and 6.5

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid but I am just all new to this scene.

One last thing. What is your favorite rom and why?

Oh and which ever rom I use, I will surely donate to the author. I might be a noob here but I have money!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Re: I need help understanding all the terms here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC_Noob View Post
I love this site and I just registered here. I have a new HTC touch pro from Verizon and I was looking to upgrade the stock rom. The only thing is, is that I am such a noob when it comes to tech words and stuff. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

What is the difference between kitchens and roms and bases. Also, what is manila and rhodum and flo3d. Aand what is the main difference between wm6.1 and 6.5

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid but I am just all new to this scene.

One last thing. What is your favorite rom and why?

Oh and which ever rom I use, I will surely donate to the author. I might be a noob here but I have money!
Hehehe, NEWB! Just kidding.

ROM - The OS that you flash to your phone (in this instance)
Kitchen - Used to make ROM
Manila / Rhodium Manila and TouchFlow 3D are all one in the same but differnt version builds of each. Tochflow3D is a gneric term for Manila. The two are interchangeable. Its the finger sliding interface on the phone.

Rhodium Manila is a new, higher functionality Manila from the Touch Pro 2. ROM. Its a buggy manila that was not intended for our devices although the great programmers on here are kind enough to "port" it to our devices so we can use it! Woot!

The differnce between 6.1 and 6.5 are like the difference between 2000 and XP but some like to compare XP to Vista. Just a new operating system. Has some fancier interfaces, etc. What you would expect in an OS upgrade. Its no so "squared off" like 6.5 and adds visual enhancements. I was once against 6.5 but now I am in LOVE with it. Its pretty!

Lastly, the ROM you should be running is MY ROM! Your gonna hear that alot (trust me ;c) but I develop ROMS exclusively for Verizon and the Verizon Touch Pro. Reason, i understand the memory limitations on the Verizon Pro. I have one! Most other chefs develop for the large memory devices. I develop for VZW devices. This in turn makes my ROMS a bit leaner than the others because I develop for the lack of memory. Not to say that you wont enjoy other ROMS either. Try them all. They are free for the taking! Consider it an adventure!

My web site and ROMS are at www.sskusers.net

Check it ou! You will enjoy for sure. Just released a new ROM and kitchen today!

Let us know what else you will need.....

Donations always accepted but never expected!

Last edited by scrosler; 06-29-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

HTC_Noob is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Hehehe, NEWB! Just kidding.

ROM - The OS that you flash to your phone (in this instance)
Kitchen - Used to make ROM
Manila / Rhodium Manila and TouchFlow 3D are all one in the same but differnt version builds of each. Tochflow3D is a gneric term for Manila. The two are interchangeable. Its the finger sliding interface on the phone.

Rhodium Manila is a new, higher functionality Manila from the Touch Pro 2. ROM. Its a buggy manila that was not intended for our devices although the great programmers on here are kind enough to "port" it to our devices so we can use it! Woot!

The differnce between 6.1 and 6.5 are like the difference between 2000 and XP but some like to compare XP to Vista. Just a new operating system. Has some fancier interfaces, etc. What you would expect in an OS upgrade. Its no so "squared off" like 6.5 and adds visual enhancements. I was once against 6.5 but now I am in LOVE with it. Its pretty!

Lastly, the ROM you should be running is MY ROM! Your gonna hear that alot (trust me ;c) but I develop ROMS exclusively for Verizon and the Verizon Touch Pro. Reason, i understand the memory limitations on the Verizon Pro. I have one! Most other chefs develop for the large memory devices. I develop for VZW devices. This in turn makes my ROMS a bit leaner than the others because I develop for the lack of memory. Not to say that you wont enjoy other ROMS either. Try them all. They are free for the taking! Consider it an adventure!

My web site and ROMS are at www.sskusers.net

Check it ou! You will enjoy for sure. Just released a new ROM and kitchen today!

Let us know what else you will need.....
Thanks. I will definately check out your rom. I have been hearing alot of people talking about the Mighty Rom here as well so I think I might check out that one as well. I hope he makes it for verizon too.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Welcome!
Dude I am really broke.
PM me if you would like to donate to the horndoctor food crisis fund.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
I hope he makes it for verizon too.
generally, any CDMA ROM will work on any CDMA phone....
to answer your quasi-question, yes, mightyROM will work on a verizon phone
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

HTC_Noob is a n00b

I will try out alot of the roms here and let everyone know which i like the best for me and why.

You guys might this is stupid but I really want a rom with backlight settings. I sometimes use my phone when I am in a room that isnt to bright and the screen is way to bright for me in those situations and I always dim the backlight. Plus, the battery last longer like that.

does anyone know off hand which roms support backlight settings?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Threadstarter
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium 400

t0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to t0mmyr

for a verizon limited ram device, im gonna suggest u try scrolser's ssk rom, or one of dcd's roms. personally my favorite is the psyki rom as it runs rhodium beautifully but it requires lots of memory so i wouldnt suggest it for a verizon device, i have a sprint device which has plenty of ram

Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I will try out alot of the roms here and let everyone know which i like the best for me and why.

You guys might this is stupid but I really want a rom with backlight settings. I sometimes use my phone when I am in a room that isnt to bright and the screen is way to bright for me in those situations and I always dim the backlight. Plus, the battery last longer like that.

does anyone know off hand which roms support backlight settings?
I am new too, but have flashed 11 different ROMs on the US Cellular TP. All the ones I have tested have controls to adjust the back-light. So you shouldn't have a problem there. I can't tell you which one is the best, and after 11 flashes I don't think I found the perfect ROM yet. But there is always hope for tomorrow. I have gotten so good at flashing that in less than a half hour my phone is sync, all address, calendars, games personalization everything is together.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: The Trilogy

cooltech59 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcooltech59 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcooltech59 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcooltech59 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to cooltech59

All the roms here are pretty good. This site has alot of helpful cooks and roms. Here is a link to a rom I cooked in the ervious kitchen, it works with Verizon the default pagepool is set at 6.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius View Post
I have gotten so good at flashing that in less than a half hour my phone is sync, all address, calendars, games personalization everything is together.
You do realize that with UC or Sashimi you could have that done in minutes, with little to no interaction, right?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro