PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700
Carrier: Sprint

rickyowitt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Way to Avoid Data Roaming?

I've searched and searched and found nothing that really describes the problem I'm having. I'm working out of town and my Sprint Touch Pro is (apparently) not close enough to any tower that would provide a data signal. I, of course, assume this because I'm seeing a 1X on my Touch Pro screen. I'm trying to use my Internet Sharing and it's just so absolutely slow. I'm wondering if there is something I can install on my phone that would improve its ability to avoid roaming. Is that possible?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP
Re: Any Way to Avoid Data Roaming?

1x does not mean you are roaming, there are still places were I live and travel still to this day that are 1x and have not upgraded to evdo.

Example: Laredo, Texas is a 1x network, anybody from Laredo can vouch for that

Now if you are seeing a bouncing of EV/1x or at least seeing the EV icon on the TP every once in a while in that area there is a cab to force EV, but remember you will lose voice/text...since that runs on the 1x network. If not then again your are just in a 1x network area period.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give

Last edited by Unknown Zone; 06-29-2009 at 10:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700
Threadstarter

rickyowitt is a n00b

I see... Does that mean I'm condemned to this extremely slow speed here?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyowitt View Post
I see... Does that mean I'm condemned to this extremely slow speed here?
yup....when I go to Laredo....it is like dialup all over again...lol.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

there is a .cab that gives you a EV option that forces EV. not sure if that would help you or not. i will see if i can find it.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 PM
VIP Member

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

try this.
Attached Files
File Type: cab EVDO Only Menu.cab (646 Bytes, 3 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Rick give Mylt's d/l a try if you are not to sure if you are in a true 1x network area, since you are new to the area.

Like me I am familiar with Laredo and go there alot, that cab will not work cause I know Laredo is a 1x network.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
there is a .cab that gives you a EV option that forces EV. not sure if that would help you or not. i will see if i can find it.
You can also just go to Phone settings/Services and select Mode of Operation. Pick Evdo,1x, or Hybrid(normal mode.)

If your on a custom ROM and do not see Mode of Operation in Phone Settings/Services. You have to do a regedit: HKLM/Software/OEM/Phone Settings and change HiddenModeOperation to 0.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

that might work,
but it might be the same speed, not sure though.
My thought is that since he's not already getting ev signal,
that his closes ev tower might be really far away,
which would take forever to transfer data to and from his phone.

Just kinda my opinnion, not sure how true that statement is.

Also, if you drive your car out of town for work, I would look into a signal booster antenna thingy majig. hah. but that's only if you go to areas that have crapy 1x service alot, otherwise it prolly isn't worth it to get one.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
You can also just go to Phone settings/Services and select Mode of Operation. Pick Evdo,1x, or Hybrid(normal mode.)

If your on a custom ROM and do not see Mode of Operation in Phone Settings/Services. You have to do a regedit: HKLM/Software/OEM/Phone Settings and change HiddenModeOperation to 0.
none of the roms i have used have had EVDO as a stand alone option without that cab. all have had hybrid only and 1X only. add that cab and EVDO only becomes an option.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro