PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

fsp48 is keeping up the good workfsp48 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Software Idea for Sprint VVM

So I just looked into using youmail but the stupid Sprint 20cent call forwarding thing is a problem. I talked to the Sprint CS person and moved on to a tech and he confirmed even VM call forwarding will hit the system and charge the 20cents a minute call. Think we all have read this. So they say they have no plans to change this.

I have 2 idea to beat this stupidity for a simple feature. That's why we have WM PPC phones in the first place.

A) Someone writes a stand alone answering machine app. Provided we can trigger it by changing the ringer que as well as have it react to the ignore call button push on the phone. Sd Cards are huge enough to store the VVM Data.

B) Or make the app trigger an automated 3 way call transfer to our VVM number of choice provided it can work fast enough for a normal callers timeline during the switch over. I like this workaround if it can be fast enough and automated.

I put this in here because I use a touch pro and I believe they do have the most computing power of the CDMA WM devices offered as of now unless someone knows otherwise. Let me know.

Last edited by fsp48; 06-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Software Idea for Sprint VVM

i don't have anything to offer, just wondering if i know you! i'm from cleveland with relatives in the 614!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

kilmarac is becoming a great contributor

If you have google voice (or can get it in the future) you could just use that number for your primary phone number, have sprint shut the voicemail off on your phone. Then everything goes into GV Voicemail which transcribes voicemail to messages that can be either emailed or SMS to you. The transcription is sometimes a bit inaccurate to follow, but usually you can get the gist of the message.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

+1 for Google Voice...just got my invite a few days ago...and it works like a champ. I LOVE it.

I've already eliminated my Sprint Voicemail

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I keep hoping my invite will show up, but no such luck. I've had my gmail account since shortly after the beginning, when people had single digit invites haha...

Anyway, this solution relies on the call actually ringing at the handset. CDMA networks have a simulated ring on the caller's side - I have had a major problem in the past where I had decent service, but my phone would never ring. People who called me would hear it ring the 6-8 times before going to voicemail... and I'd never be notified of it because my phone never rang. In this case, your app wouldn't do any good because the phone never gets notification of the incoming call.

The number of rings before voicemail transfer is different too, because of the delay in the handset picking up the notification of a call... sometimes you'll get it right away, other times there can be a 4 second delay (or even much longer) resulting in a shorter ring time on the handset.

Unfortunately, it just isn't realistic because of Sprint's network :/
Old 06-29-2009, 03:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro2, Pro, Diamond, Touch, Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

JCerna is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJCerna is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJCerna is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So what are we waiting for? Why can we just call sprint and email them in untill they get tired of our calls and stop charging for call fowarding. Sprint is the only carrier I think that does it. Also they could not set it up so that my phone would auto foward instead of going to voicemail. I have to manually set it everytime on and off I forget to change it and I miss calls.

Last edited by JCerna; 06-29-2009 at 05:02 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro