PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   SMS Lag Fix! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73005)

bradyonly 06-27-2009 12:11 AM

SMS Lag Fix!

3 Attachment(s)
Unlike all of the other fixes that are aimed at the keyboard I did some playing around with "thread_sms.htm" in the windows folder. There's an arguement in there called "count" which calls some function that calculates the characters in the message after every letter. Removing this arguement stops tmail from calculating the character count thus eliminating the keyboard lag.
IF SOMETHING BREAKS JUST DELETE THREAD_SMS.HTM AND WINDOWS WILL RECREATE IT.

I have attached the HTM that I modified in case you don't want to do the editing yourself.

Summary:
Open Total Commander
Browse to the Windows folder
Look for "thread_sms.htm"
Hit file and go to edit
Scroll down (it's pretty short so it shouldn't be that far) and look for "count" then delete it. It's the only one in there so no need to worry about deleting the wrong one.
Save and restart the phone.

Enjoy!

Some of you wanted to see what I actually modified and where count was in the htm file.

Code:

<html XMLNS:Inbox>

<head>
  <object id="HTMLFormFactory" CLASSID="clsid:29d48cf7-ed6a-4a9d-a17a-ae9115c07a90" />
  <?IMPORT NAMESPACE="Inbox" IMPLEMENTATION="#HTMLFormFactory" />
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="file://\windows\thread_style.css" type="text/css" />
 </head>

<body>
  <Inbox:ThreadIFrame>
  <Inbox:content id="THREADIFRAME" links threadviewminheight=45 />
  </Inbox:ThreadIFrame>

<div id="threadbottom">
  <hr class="divider" size="1" />
  <Inbox:ComposeBodyCount>
    <Inbox:content ID="COMPOSEBODYCOUNT" format="%1!d!/%2!d!%4 (%3!d! messages)" title />
  </Inbox:ComposeBodyCount>
  <Inbox:ComposeSubject class="sms">
    <Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="98%" height=35 spell focus count links noclearonbackpresshold limit=0 autocap inserttab dynamicresize />
  </Inbox:ComposeSubject>
  </div>

</body>

</html>

So just delete the part in green!

Update - 17/06/09
I made another change to compose_sms.htm that gets rid of the
_______
0/130

display. It's just a blank window now and doesn't look like a broken counter was just placed there.

Here's my compose_sms.htm
Code:

<html XMLNS:Inbox>

<head>
    <object id="HTMLFormFactory" CLASSID="clsid:29d48cf7-ed6a-4a9d-a17a-ae9115c07a90"/>
    <?IMPORT NAMESPACE="Inbox" IMPLEMENTATION="#HTMLFormFactory" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="file://\windows\compose_style.css" type="text/css" />
  </head>

<body>
    <a name="inbox:top"></a>

<table class="header">
      <tr>
        <td class="header">From:</td>
        <td class="content">
          <Inbox:ComposeFrom>
            <Inbox:content id="COMPOSEFROM" />
          </Inbox:ComposeFrom>
        </td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td class="header"><a class="header" href="Inbox:COMPOSETO 0">To:</a></span>
        <td class="content">
          <Inbox:ComposeTo>
            <Inbox:content id="COMPOSETO" nocr focus phone count />
          </Inbox:ComposeTo>
        </td>
      </tr>
    </table>

<div class="divider" />

<Inbox:ComposeSubject class="sms">
      <Inbox:Content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" smartheight=50 limit=0 replyfocus links spell autocap inserttab />
    </Inbox:ComposeSubject>

<!--    <div class="SMSLine" />

<Inbox:ComposeBodyCount>
      <Inbox:Content id="COMPOSEBODYCOUNT" format="%1!d!/%2!d!%4 (%3!d! messages)" />
    </Inbox:ComposeBodyCount>
-->
    <Inbox:Padding>
      <a href="Inbox:ComposeSubject setfocus">
        <Inbox:content id="PADDING" UseComposeSubjectHeight />
      </a>
    </Inbox:Padding>

</body>
</html>

Just add those two comment tags: <!-- and -->
They are highlighted in green for ease of finding. Alternatively you could just delete everything in between those comment tags for the same effect. I left it in there in case I wanted to add a little signature or logo or something.
Also added the attachment for compose_sms.htm

-Side note: I've done alot of flashing and I found that if you don't hard reset right after replacing or if you have SMS open it doesn't completely overwrite it and corrupts it a little. Make sure to reset right after replacing so windows doesn't have time to try to replace it (which is why I think it breaks).

fr0st was kind enough to make up a cab, I attached it to this post.

ShadowDrake 06-27-2009 12:32 AM

Re: SMS Lag Fix!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradyonly (Post 1000037)
Unlike all of the other fixes that are aimed at the keyboard I did some playing around with "thread_sms.htm" in the windows folder. There's an arguement in there called "count" which calls some function that calculates the characters in the message after every letter. Removing this arguement stops tmail from calculating the character count thus eliminating the keyboard lag.
MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THREAD_SMS.HTM BEFORE EDITING IN CASE YOU BREAK IT

Summary:
Open Total Commander
Browse to the Windows folder
Look for "thread_sms.htm"
Hit file and go to edit
Scroll down (it's pretty short so it shouldn't be that far) and look for "count" then delete it. It's the only one in there so no need to worry about deleting the wrong one.
Save and restart the phone.

Enjoy!

Nice, now I'll really applaud you if you can modify it so instead of just completely removing it, it counts every say, second, or maybe even 3-5 seconds instead?

Rourke Swift 06-27-2009 12:36 AM

Oh sweet, so it just doesn't update the "X/160" figure while you type, and so doesn't slow you down as much?

Interesting find.

bradyonly 06-27-2009 12:42 AM

Yeah it's unfortunate that you lose the character count but my texts are usually short anyways. If I could figure out where count is I might be able to mess around in that function to maybe find some unecessary code. Kind of the same way MS Word publishes to HTML *Shutters*

ShadowDrake 06-27-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradyonly (Post 1000097)
Yeah it's unfortunate that you lose the character count but my texts are usually short anyways. If I could figure out where count is I might be able to mess around in that function to maybe find some unecessary code. Kind of the same way MS Word publishes to HTML *Shutters*

Unfortunately I have some friends with prepaid phones, and I try to be courteous and keep anything I have to say to one text. I have a bad habit of typing texts that end up in the 180 character range, which is just a few too many. Most of the time I can trim them down...

Regardless, I'd like to try this but I need the count!

shaggylive 06-27-2009 12:50 AM

good find.. really the only reason I see for caring about the count is twitter, but we got apps for that anyway.
if I get long winded, what do I care if it gets split into multiple txt's.

rawdikrik 06-27-2009 01:27 AM

I am very interested in this development. I have noticed a few different things when in the SMS window.

Not only do we have character count, but on some roms you can actually see the box resize after every letter. The scroll bar will adjust and it seems to "scan" the area texted to see if it has to move down. I think if maybe this could be manipulated in a way to only happen after every 5 or ten characters, we might have faster texting.

I need the character count, as I tweet from sms and i hate to send 2 messages to friends that dont have unlimited texts when I could just send them one.

I am definitely interested in this thread. Maybe we should send an email to No2Chem? He's incredibly good at finding little things like this (eg: keyboard backlighting).

hansdg1 06-27-2009 02:14 AM

it would be really nice as some of you have said already to have the character count still there but update less frequantly

psycho_maniac 06-27-2009 02:36 AM

anybody tried this? seems really cool...if it actually worked

coreyoli 06-27-2009 10:49 AM

I'm on 6.5 and my thread_sms.html doesn't have just a "count" it has a lot, lol...

Could you possibly post an example? I don't want to delete the wrong thing, haha..

Thanks,

-Corey