PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

orbeyonde is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Touch Pro stuck in roaming mode

I have had a Sprint Touch Pro for quite a few months now and everything was great. It has a stock ROM and I have installed a bunch of programs but nothing in the last few weeks.

I recently started a job in an office where the phone could not lock onto a signal. It would be constantly going into and out of raoming mode. Whenever I left my office it would return to normal EVDO mode.

Yesterday, I noticed that the phone would not leave roaming mode even in areas that I knew had good signals like my home.

I tried doing a soft reset, it still stayed in roam mode.

I tried disabling roam mode and it simply couldnt find any signal at all. When I put it back on "automatic" it went right back to roaming.

Is it possible that the "Sprint antenna" was damaged due to the constant going into and out of roaming?

I tried to do a search on google and ppcgeeks and could not find any solutions. I hope someone here can help me out with this dilemma.

The only thing I have not done yet is a hard reset, which I hate to do because I have the phone just the way I want it and dont want to go through the headache of putting everything back on it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Touch Pro stuck in roaming mode

Have you tried updating your prl in the settings menu?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

orbeyonde is a n00b

I have and it wont let me update the prl. It states:

"PRL could not be updated. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service.

Error Code:1012"

I have tried running the PRL update numerous times and it gives me the same response every time. I think it might be that you cant update the PRL while roaming.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro

tj78492 is a n00b

spb backup then hard reset and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:20 PM
etc
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch pro

etc is a n00b

I had the same thing happen to me !

First, I had no data coming in. I think that was an unrelated problem. I got worse when I like you was stuck in roaming. Spend hours on the phone with tech support, did resets, etc. the end result was getting a replacement phone due to bad radio. In the end, it was constantly searching for signal.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

1012 is def. a signal issue, like tj said, backup with your favorite backup program, SPB or Sprite and hard reset, try for a little while without restoring your backup file and see if everything is ok, if it is, use your backup file and see if everything is working still, if it is good to go, if not, its something you have flashed/installed.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

originl is a n00b

Hey -

I just had this happen to me the other night. Before you do your backups (or, hey, might as well backup now, it can never hurt, right?), I would suggest downloading a PRL from one of the other links here and manually updating your PRL.

I found I had some weird PRL # like: 68xxx on my phone and couldn't get PRL to run like you.

I downloaded PRL 60652 , used BAFMSL to obtain that code (sorry, I don't know the name of the code), dialed ##778# , EPST.exe came up, I selected "Edit", keyed in the code from BAFMSL. Then select "View info", "Update PRL File", edit, select the PRL you downloaded to the phone (in my case 60652.prl), and it was manually updated.

It seems the PRL file was persistent even after my hard resets and ROM re-installs. I originally found myself in this mess by using an SSK rom, found a PRL/PRI Update Cab for Sprint, ran it, then I found myself with that 68xxx PRL.

Let me know if you need any other help with this, I'll try to find the other links.

[edit: To obtain *a* PRL file and another set of instructions, see http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=prl+60750
To get BAF's MSL Grabber, see http://www.baf.cc/bafmslAside from that, you need .NET CF 3.5 to get BAF's MSL Grabber to work, you can find a cab of it from http://www.freecabs.de , Programs Page 1, about 4/5 down. You can search for the string "Added: 17.12.08" and it should be nearby.]

Last edited by originl; 06-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

orbeyonde is a n00b

I backed up using SPB and did a hard reset. I prayed to Odin and Zues but alas my prayers were not heard. After the hard reset, it went right back to roaming only.

I bit the bullet and took the phone to my local Sprint store. I hope to get a replacement phone tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I never got a chance to try our updating the PRL manually. If it happens with the replacement phone, I will give that a try.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This happened to my brother Sprint TP.

Nothing worked and he just got a new replacement and the new one gets signal and the old one sits next to his with no signal.

If you have insurance then it doesnt cost anything to replace it.

I <3 Android
Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

orbeyonde is a n00b

Got back from the Sprint store and they will have a replacement for me on Friday, June 26. No cost to me as I am still under a year of ownership. Thanks to everyone for trying to help me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro