PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

JaedenRuiner is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backing up certain data info before Hard Reset

Well, i've been playing around enough with the new phone, generally learning the setup of windows mobile and the rest, and granted I've probably made a few mistakes along the way which have aided in the growing instability of windows mobile. (hey, its microsoft an all ms developers are used to that).

So, I'm thinking about doing a hard reset, and starting from scratch now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing. (this past week has been play time learning, now I want to do it for real).

However, if I hard reset I do believe that all data on the main memory (not the storage card) will be blanked, and that means all of my emails and txt messages i've sent thus far. (contacts too).

So I was wondering, as in pc outlook fashion, if there was a way to back up all that "data", so that after the hard reset I could re-instill my msg history and contact info, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Backing up certain data info before Hard Reset

Hey man! Glad you are digging your new phone. There are a bunch of backup software choices. I personally use Sprite backup but if you do a search at the top of the page you will get hundreds of threads about this same thing. It all depends on what you want to do...Good luck!

Hit the Thanks!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Big thumbs up the SPB backup...
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I use PIM Backup to get my messages, contacts, and appointments back. Like Biggzz said though, there's literally hundreds of threads about your choices... do a little reading and a little downloading to find what works best for ya!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018

I personally recommend and encourage users to try Dashwire. (www.dashwire.com)
its simple, fast and backs up everything except programs and registry. of course others do that but this is just IMHO.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Nex-tech Wireless

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff

Two programs that I have used are Dashwire and MS My Phone. Both of these allow you to upload information to a website where you can view it and reload it to your phone. MS My Phone also lets you edit info (add contacts, appts. etc) on the web then updates your phone when you sync. Dashwire may do the same, but haven't tried it there yet. I do know dashwire allows you to send text messages from their site via your phone.

EDIT:^^Ah, just a hair faster he is the one who originally suggested dashwire to me, thanks again lil!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018

lol yes, hi Chaos [=
and yes dashwire allows direct edits from the site which instantly syncs to your phone if its running on the TP
Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

JaedenRuiner is a n00b

Well, well, there is quite a bit out there...however, the one thing that seems consistent is the whether or not it's backed up to a web server or if it is backed up to the storage card, oh and whether or not I'm going to have to buy the software....

Not that I'm a cheap bastard or nothin', but i'm a programmer, and since I know the workings of the registry, file systems, and overall development for practically anything, I'm more or less trying to learn a few things about mobile development. One of which is the locations of these things.

I've scanned through ROM on this device, and I haven't found anything as prosaic as the XP :
Documents And Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal Folders.pst

It's a question of where these things are located in the device. I may still end up using a mainstream applicaiton or service, but i'm looking now to find out where SMS history is stored, because truthfully, if all I need to do is preserve 3 or 4 directory structures in a ZIP file for later, I can do that while i'm watchin' a movie. *chuckle*

Thanks for the pointers though, I plan to install the windows mobile SDK this week, so perhaps that will also have some further information for the inner workings of these devices.

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro