PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

CodeMaster2008 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Touch Pro and new ROM - How to?

Hi folks,

I believe this is my first post here.
I've been reading (for two days) a few threads on PPCGeeks but i noticed that some topics easily get a lot of attention and some threads happens to have 100's of pages, which makes a newby's life (like mine) harder.

I'd like to change my phone's ROM (a Sprint Touch Pro) but I'm still very confused about it.

I didn't pick a ROM yet but I'm looking for something that I would be able to install the compact framework 3.5 and that helps improve the battery life.

Here are a few things i'd like to do:

1- Backup the original ROM (so i can restore it if something goes wrong or if i have to return the phone to sprint)
2- Flash a new ROM

Some posts just have the instructions to flash a new rom, others says i have to unlock the phone first, others have links to software that will help me but do not have the instructions on how to...

Hope somebody can point me a direction to get this thingie done.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Since threads with 100s of pages are not that friendly to new guys like me and i have the available resources, I'd like make available a website where we could have comparision charts for as many ROMs as possible, detailed instructions (with screenshots) on how to perform simple tasks like I'm looking for. I believe this kind of information separated from the forums could be very helpful. People would still use the forums to discuss the guides and information not to provide them. Just a sugestion, if somebody is interested in help, just drop me a PM.

Last edited by CodeMaster2008; 06-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750
Re: Sprint Touch Pro and new ROM - How to?

Welcome to the forums. The process while it might seem difficult, is actually quite easy. First and foremost, you must unlock your TP to flash any roms. Secondly, you dont have to backup your stock rom, the stock roms are located in a sticky at the top of the forum.

to unlock your phone, follow the steps in the first post of this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69854

as for roms, nobody can tell you which one to use. I personally use Mightyrom 4 which is a winmo 6.1 base (same as stock rom but tweaked), along with a long list of other tweaks and cabs. regardless of whether you want winmo 6.1 or 6.5, there is a rom to suit your needs, and i recommend you read the chefs comments about each rom, and view the screenshots to get a better idea of the look and feel before you flash.

Typically the procedure is as follows. download the rom package, which will be either a .zip, or .exe. if its a .zip, open the .zip and folders and look for a file called romupdateutility.exe, which you run and follow the onscreen instructions. If its a .exe, simply launch it and follow the instructions.

Keep in mind, the above is a generalization of the process. Follow the unlocking tutorial above, and the specific roms instructions for best results.

Also keep in mind, many roms are simplified down to work on multiple carriers, so some carrier specific items such as sprint picturemail will not be included. search the forums and you will find the answers you are looking for in regards to these items. Good luck and happy flashing.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Threadstarter

CodeMaster2008 is a n00b
Re: Sprint Touch Pro and new ROM - How to?

Already have a new ROM, thanks a lot!!!! =D>

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro