PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TouchPro user to "accessorize" with a regular phone | GPS Question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72355)

dinodrew 06-21-2009 03:46 PM

TouchPro user to "accessorize" with a regular phone | GPS Question

Hey all,
I love my Sprint TP (currently running Juicy 8, love it) but the battery life just can't hang with my usage. I took a new position with my company that is about 33% travel and do a ton of business via phone. While the TP is great for travel (GPS, fast internets for finding things, email/MS Office on the go) the battery life just can't get it done. I have the dual charger (Phone + battery ) and THREE batteries that I use on the road AND the car charger. After my last trip, I decided to get a "regular-everyday-talkin'-on-it" phone through AT&T (best coverage in the cities I travel to).

Looking to hear from other TP users:
-Do you have a second phone?
-What phone do you have?
-I need battery, quality, fit in pocket and if it syncs contacts/calendar with Exchange you get a high five.

I've been so obsessed with WinMo phones for the past few years (700w, 700wx, Q, Q9c, Q9h, Diamond, TP) that I've ignored "dumbphones".

Second question:
-Best GPS solution for the TP?

Thank you in advance for your help. I freakin' love PPCGeeks and look forward to you insight.
-D

boredandtattooed 06-21-2009 04:03 PM

Re: TouchPro user to "accessorize" with a regular phone | GPS Question

all 3 of mine line are touch pros, so cnt offer a suggestion there..

for gps on TP, everyones gonna have a different opinion from the free google maps to real software like iGo, Tom Tom, etc

just look around, you dont even need to search really theres lots of gps threads

ChaosTheory 06-21-2009 04:16 PM

I currently only have a Touch Pro, but I just upgraded from a Nokia slider and I loved that phone.

As far as navigation goes, I use iGuidance, it works well and the version I have doesn't require an internet connection (the Google maps I used you had to be connected to get a map). I've used it a few times the voice directions are pretty nice. Plus it has nice big touchscreen buttons so you don't have to get the stylus out to use it.

Snoman002 06-21-2009 04:23 PM

Have you done anything to your phone to improve battery life?

There are a bunch of tweaks and programs around here that may get your phone into the acceptable range, and/or the 3000mah battery.

I couldnt imagine carring a seperate phone, then again my TP sits off for 8hours a day while I am at work, on the charger another 8 hours a day while I sleep, and really only gets a good 2-3 hours of "play" time.

dinodrew 06-21-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory (Post 988338)
I currently only have a Touch Pro, but I just upgraded from a Nokia slider and I loved that phone.

As far as navigation goes, I use iGuidance, it works well and the version I have doesn't require an internet connection (the Google maps I used you had to be connected to get a map). I've used it a few times the voice directions are pretty nice. Plus it has nice big touchscreen buttons so you don't have to get the stylus out to use it.

I'm using Google Maps now, thanks for the iGuidance suggestion. I dislike getting the sylus out...not so great while driving... :)

dinodrew 06-21-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoman002 (Post 988348)
Have you done anything to your phone to improve battery life?

There are a bunch of tweaks and programs around here that may get your phone into the acceptable range, and/or the 3000mah battery.

I couldnt imagine carring a seperate phone, then again my TP sits off for 8hours a day while I am at work, on the charger another 8 hours a day while I sleep, and really only gets a good 2-3 hours of "play" time.

Yes, I have a routine of tweaks that I go through everytime I flash. I should have stated that in my question. The best thing for the battery is to have the DATA connection shut off after it goes idle, same for Wi-Fi. I never run bluetooth, beam, limit my web use when possible, sync Exchange no more than every 60 minutes...

Thanks for the reply!

ChaosTheory 06-21-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinodrew (Post 988392)
I'm using Google Maps now, thanks for the iGuidance suggestion. I dislike getting the sylus out...not so great while driving... :)

Swerving while driving is acceptable, I pay taxes for both sides of the road! :toothy7:

I dislike using the stylus unless I have to, so iGuidance rocks in that area. Plus the spoken directions help keep your eyes on the road, so you can swerve to hit those pesky pedestrians :-D

Mylt1 06-21-2009 11:10 PM

i run garmin XT, google maps, and now amaze for GPS. i used XT to go from my house 6 hours to hubert, Nc with no porblems. i used the car charger the whole way. one thing you have to remember is if the phone gets hot it stops charging and once you hit 100% it stops and doesnt start again unless you unplug and plug back in. one thing i do is if im not using the phone while its on the car charger is i turn the screen off. if you dont hit the power button the screen is still on even though its dimmed. wifi and data are always off unless i need to check the weather or use google maps and i have the long press setup to turn data off. so once im done i disconnect from data. thats the best way i know of to keep the battery life as long as i can.