PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Weird Glitch with SIP Keyboard (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72344)

JaedenRuiner 06-21-2009 11:13 AM

Weird Glitch with SIP Keyboard

Greetings,

I just acquired an HTC Touch Pro, and quite enjoy how easy it is to configure. As a platform applications developer professionally, manipulating windows mobile is fun and very simple. I've been reading a lot of the tips and tweaks listed on both PPC Geeks, and xda-developers, trying the ones i like, and generally just researching others. So far this is what i've done to the phone:

PHM Registry
Advanced Config
Total Commander
Gyrator2

I proceeded to make the following modifications to the registry and other configuration settings:
  • Updated the system Cache settings for faster performance as listed on PPCGeeks
  • changed the windows mobile boot up screen
  • Added a start up wave for the htc animation but it never plays
  • Altered the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e001 0409 settings for the Auto replace "i" with "I" while typing.
  • Used Advanced Config to "Auto Deploy SIP keyboard" Disable
I do find the SIP keyboard annoying, and for my life I have always had weird reactions from all sorts of touch screens, and frankly wanted the SIP keyboard to always be disabled unless I specifically tapped the keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen.

Well, after all this i've been playing around with atjusting the initial animation, and working on installing the windows mobile dev kit so I can start developing for these devices myself. When I suddenly noticed something strange: Whenever I deploy the SIP keyboard now, it pops up with the numbers set of inputtable characters, and if I try to click on the ABC icon to switch back to alpha characters it won't. I can only enter the numbers and symbols on the SIP keyboard.

I dont' know which setting I tweaked that may have caused this, or if might possibly be any of the applications I've installed, but if this has occurred before I could use some help reversing this little glitch.

Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

vesty16277 06-21-2009 02:27 PM

Re: Weird Glitch with SIP Keyboard

Mine was doing that but I didn't modify anything I had to soft reset to make it change. Being that you F'd with the registry you probably need to change you're settings back and see what fixes it.

JaedenRuiner 06-22-2009 12:27 PM

Hmm.. well the only settings that involves the keyboard that I'm aware of would be the i to I auto correction...

To automatically correct "i" to "I"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]
"Ime File"="\windows\compime.dll"
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"
use this and then go into setting input and enable auto correction!

which i followed the above.. Tragically i don't remember what the original settings were. I may need to hard reset the device, which I did plan for as I'm learning how to configure and tweak as well as develop for these devices so I could expect a few mishaps. *chuckle*
Thanks
J"SD"a'RR

JaedenRuiner 07-13-2009 09:05 AM

Okay,

So this really is a glitch, not anything I've done. I performed my hard reset over the weekend, and started re-setting up my device, and now I have the pattern. Every time I connect to ActiveSync, it does something to my device that locks the SIP keyboard in #s mode only. ABC mode is removed.

Now, My first thought was that it had something to do with my companies Security Policies, because I first noticed the keyboard switch this weekend shortly after sync'ing my Outlook with our OWA, and when doing so, the Connection responded informing me that in order to sync I had to accept certain security policies. Once I accepted them, it sync'd with my phone. The very next time i tried to use the keyboard, the ABC mode stopped working.

So I hard reset again (this was about the 3 hard reset this weekend) to verify what had caused the lock and this time setup everything except my work email. Everything was hunky dory. Now, not 30 seconds ago, when I plugged my phone into my work laptop, and was setting up the activesync on my PC, (what to sync), that the keyboard while i was using it snapped to the #s mode and will not return to ABC mode.

Now, I don't know how to decipher whether this be a full ActiveSync issue, or if it is related to our security policies, but this is too much of a coincidence to not be related.

Tyhe truly annoying part is that once this glitch occurs I can find no way to reverse it save by Hard resetting the device AGAIN. I relly need help resolving this.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

psiphi 07-13-2009 05:30 PM

You R not alone... I had this happen to me too, but did not know what was causing it... I Cooked my own ROM with the PPC Kitchen, so am not sure if its an OEM problem...

R using using a stock ROM?

JaedenRuiner 07-14-2009 03:38 PM

Well...

I would be prone to say yes. I am not familiar with what exactly is meant by "ROM" when it comes to these devices. I would initially expect it to be a complete reprogramming of the device operation. (Sort of like installing a linux OS router on the ROM chip of a LinkSys Router) However, what exactly this entails or does not entail I have no idea, and frankly don't think i'll ever need to "cook" my ROM.

I got this to learn development for the windows CE/Mobile environment, which means most everyone i'll be writing for will be on the stock whatever for their device.

(Though I am willing to read up on more about what ROM cooking can be beneficial for).

Currently, I got the phone from Sprint a month ago, and immediate hacked the internet sharing, tweaked other registry stuff, began learning the os map, and trying to play around with VisualStudio (after DLing the WM6.1 SDK).
I've noticed many glitches in the overall operation, namely which any part of my device which says "Set as Today Background" whether in the Settings or via FileExplorer, it only sets the Background of my StartMenu. to Set the Today Background I have to Set the Carrier Bitmap, and many other issues like that.

to resolve this keyboard glitch for now, I installed the EZInput 2.0 which at least gave me the full qwerty keyboard, but i'm not too fond of the EZInput design. I like full qwerty all the time, even in portrait mode. *shrug*

The more I play, the more I'll learn how to tweak this thing
thanks