PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering - automatic charge, or...?

I posted a similar, but not identical, topic months ago, but I have new questions.

I'm on Sprint using a Touch Pro. I have an iPod Touch, and would like to use the internet over Sprint's network with it. It works with the last free version of WMWifiRouter as well as the trial of the newest version, but I notice that it is using "Phone as Modem" instead of "Sprint". I heard that Sprint could tell that you were tethering if you use Phone as Modem connection, but not if you use the Sprint connection. Is that true, or can they not tell? I don't want to find a nice $60 addition to my bill.

Technically speaking, unless they checked the user agent string of the browser I don't see how they could tell, unless using the PAM connection sends them a note about it. I sometimes tweak the user agent to that of the iPhone for iPhone version websites anyway.

As I said in my previous post, there is no moral ambiguity here as it's not like I'm using this to tether my PC - just another cell phone, more or less.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Tethering - automatic charge, or...?

first who cares what you use it for, most of US myself included openly admit to our wmwifi use.. tell anyone who gives ya crap about it to pis off lol...

anyhow, run wmwifi, go into cellular connections and its your screen to change it to sprint... dunno who much diff it really makes, like u said unless it notes use of PAM, but youll be all goood man... change it just to be careful and for piece of mind i guess but your straight

***edit*** theres certainly no automatic charge also, to answer your thread title...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre and proud of it!

Rafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to Rafy0003

I personally use Pdanet and I sometimes use pam the actual program. I work for them and they say that they can tell, which in fact they can, bc sometimes they kill your connection, Sprint blocked PAM back in 06 so if you get away with it +1 for you, I personally use over 5 gigs of data a month of my phone and I have never seen a data charge. Now although I have not seen data charges, I have seen people get a letter saying that we dont want your ****ing business and bc you use so much data or roaming we cancleed your account, But as far as Pam watch ypur usage you you wont see nothing extra. Sprint does know if it is pam just dont stick out.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Lurker

pearldrums287 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
sometimes they kill your connection
I was using pam today (actually still am right now) and my phone popped up with a message that said something about data connection ending due to termination on the remote server or something. The message was in the top right where the connection messages usually are. I wonder if that was them cutting me off or if that was just a hiccup with my computer
Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Rafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRafy0003 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nope sometimes this happens if you are using too much data, happens to me sometimes, Just connect again and you shouldnt get that after it.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCR512 View Post
I posted a similar, but not identical, topic months ago, but I have new questions.

I'm on Sprint using a Touch Pro. I have an iPod Touch, and would like to use the internet over Sprint's network with it. It works with the last free version of WMWifiRouter as well as the trial of the newest version, but I notice that it is using "Phone as Modem" instead of "Sprint". I heard that Sprint could tell that you were tethering if you use Phone as Modem connection, but not if you use the Sprint connection. Is that true, or can they not tell? I don't want to find a nice $60 addition to my bill.

Technically speaking, unless they checked the user agent string of the browser I don't see how they could tell, unless using the PAM connection sends them a note about it. I sometimes tweak the user agent to that of the iPhone for iPhone version websites anyway.

As I said in my previous post, there is no moral ambiguity here as it's not like I'm using this to tether my PC - just another cell phone, more or less.
You should not be able to connect phone as modem if its not enabled in your account. It should give an Error 67. At least thats been my experience
Old 06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW View Post
You should not be able to connect phone as modem if its not enabled in your account. It should give an Error 67. At least thats been my experience

Not true, I am got it on mine and I am using it right now. I aint paying 45$ for no pam plan f that.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Lurker

pearldrums287 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
Not true, I am got it on mine and I am using it right now. I aint paying 45$ for no pam plan f that.
ditto

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro